Desert Essence Daily Essential Moisturizer

Desert Essence Daily Essential Moisturizer
Daily Essential Moisturizer

3.7

Not tested on animals

Water, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Glyceryl Stearate (Vegetable Derived), Stearic Acid (Vegetable Derived), Cetyl Palmitate (Plant Derived),Jojoba Seed Oil, Safflower Seed Oil, Cetyl Alcohol (Vegetable Derived), Propanediol (Corn Derived), Sesame Seed Oil, Glycerin (Plant Derived), Gluconolactone, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Benzoate, Geranium Maculatum Oil (Plant Derived)

on 11/24/2014 2:40:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

A little bit drying I thinktried it a few times, no go. sad because it is organic! my skin is in between dry and oily. i like giovannis one, did wonders on my skin but the fragrance is a little irritating -___-

I actually just repurchased this moisturizer. After using up the first tub, I wasn't sure if I wanted to buy another simply because I thought I could solely rely on jojoba oil (also by Desert Essence) as my moisturizer. While the jojoba oil was doing a good job on its own, it still felt weird not having an actual moisturizer, and the jojoba felt a little greasy since it's getting warmer. I read other reviews about this having a strange sweat-like scent, and honestly, I don't smell anything at all. I'm also not particular about scents either; there's really nothing that bothers me, so I guess my nose isn't sensitive enough.

This is what I would call a "dry" moisturizer. It hydrates my face, but I can't see any trace of it after it absorbs into the skin, and it absorbs rather quickly. Thus, it gives me a matte finish. It's not sticky at all; just very smooth (I have combination skin, but it's relatively normal most of the time). It's a really nice light-weight moisturizer for spring, summer, and fall. During the winter, if I want a little more moisturizing properties, I add a little jojoba or vitamin E oil as a boost.

I like the ingredients, it doesn't break me out, fairly inexpensive (I think I paid less than $5), and one tub lasted me for well over a year. Overall, it's a basic moisturizer that does what it's supposed to do, and I would definitely repurchase.

on 1/20/2013 1:28:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I was so excited to find this product. Natural ingredients, amazing price, decent size. After I ran out of my Aveeno Ultra-Calming moisturizer, I really wanted to try and find something that didn't have as many chemicals and wasn't quite as expensive. I definitely thought this would fit the bill.

Unfortunately, I had a bad reaction to this. While reading the other reviews for this product, I was amazed at the similarities to my own experience. Let me say this: I do NOT have sensitive skin. My skin is dry, yes, but not acne prone, and I have never had an adverse reaction to any skincare products before. This made my face burn, turn red, and almost start to peel. It made my skin feel tight, and formed a film which would crumble off in the areas I am most dry. I am so disappointed :( Never trying it again.

on 10/9/2012 7:41:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This smells horrendous at first, but you get used to it. At least I have gotten used to it. I think it is partly because of the jojoba oil, but maybe some other oils are adding to the yucky "moldy sweater" smell it has. Okay so it really doesn't smell like a moldy sweater, but I saw someone use that analogy and thought it sounded pretty good.

If you can get over the smell, which is bad, but okay really not horrendous, you might find yourself liking this moisturizer.

I was on an antibiotic for acne and just don't like the idea of staying on it forever so right now I'm trying new products out that are more natural and acne fighting....or not acne irritates. Usually I use Olay Beauty Fluid and I like it, but I know it has a bunch of yucky chemicals. I went to my local health food store and looked at what they had for skincare. Lots of stuff was too expensive for me and this moisturizer was more in my price range. You get a lot for the price. I got mine for about $6. I think that is a great price and you get quite a bit of product.

In regards to how it works it is a pretty "dry" moisturizer. What I mean by this is I don't get that silky smooth silicone feel from it. My skin does feel hydrated from it. I think I like moisturizers like this. Olay Beauty Fluid is sort of like this too, except it has that silicone feel.

So far this hasn't bothered my acne prone skin, which makes me happy. I still have acne, but I think I will always have acne...unfortunately. If you are considering this I would say give it a try. Maybe you can mix some essential oils into this moisturizer. I considered putting some rose oil in mine, but got lazy. Perhaps towards the end of the moisturizer I will try that and report back.

on 1/27/2012 9:14:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Can't say much about this product since I just picked it up today. But one thing that got to me so much so that I just have to write a review about it....THE SCENT!! I opened it and it didn't smell like anything at first- unscented, like the package said. When I put some on my fingers, i notice this very distinct smell, that smelled like....sweat/spit! It smells so disgusting. Picked it up at my local Super Supplements and the lid looked kind of dusty. I don't know if it's been there too long or what..but oh! the smell! I wanted my brother to try it and he immediately washed it off and asked for my perfume 'cause the smell just doesn't go away!! :(

PROS: Good price. Natural ingredients. Very moisturizing but doesn't leave me very oily. Feels very good going on. Very light, pleasant fragrance.

CONS: Some won't like that it comes in a jar, but my hands are clean when I use this. So I don't mind. ****EDIT: Started to notice I was getting red spots/patches from this that would appear about 2 minutes after application and go away for the most part after about an hour. Thank God I remembered a fabulous and funny MUAer named GlindaGoodWitch making this statement in one of her reviews: "Any time I get a "glow" of any sort after cleansing, it usually means 2 benadryls & a nap." Well, I've been able to do quite a few exfoliations, retinol treatments, etc. and still have my sensitive/rosacea-prone skin be okay. I've only had that reaction one other time (with the Alpha Hydrox 10% cream.) But I'm so glad I did remember her statement because I followed that advice exactly (after washing my face with some mild cleanser, of course.)

ALTERNATES: My new fave for very moisturizing while not clogging me AT ALL is Aveeno - Positively Nourishing Comforting Whipped Souffle, which is actually made for the body, but I love it for my face.

on 12/12/2011 11:50:00 PM

I try hard to buy only cruelty free products, and it can be tough to find a good quality, affordable cruelty free moisturizer. So, I was excited to try this after reading the reviews. Unfortunately, my sensitive skin didn't react well. Like a few others, I experienced itching, redness, and irritation. Fortunately, the irritation passed pretty quickly, but it was bad enough that I will definitely not try this product again. So...I'll keep looking for that perfect moisturizer.

on 11/12/2011 5:22:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

My skin loves aloe so I was glad to find this, and eager to give it a go. Unfortunately, I had the same problem as a few other people - this made my skin itch as I applied it, and within minutes my whole face was bright tomato red. I immediately washed this off and spent almost 10 minutes splashing cold water on my face, but the discomfort wouldn't go away. I have since smeared a huge glob of my good old trust Vanicream (I SHALL NEVER CHEAT ON YOU AGAIN!) and taken antihistamines, and my face still looks like a very bad sunburn. Horrible, I've never had such a bad reaction to a product before. I'm glad I have the rest of the weekend to try to make it go away before I have to show my face in public again.
Stay far far away if you have sensitive skin. Don't be fooled.

I wish these damn stupid companies would get it through their heads that just because something is 'natural' it cannot translate to harmless. In the hysteria to stop using parabens they turn to more 'natural' products that are highly irritant and less stable (not to mention less studied) for no reason. Ugh.

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure

PLEASE help me out! I'm currently using the Acne.org regimen and the moisturizer from that line just isn't working out for me. Does anyone know if I could use this in place of it? I really love the texture, but since my skin is so dry and irritated right now, it's extremely hard to spread. (I just add tons of jojoba oil in it before applying to my face). The first two times I used it, my face broke out but I'm really not sure if it's because I switched moisturizers or my skin is still not under control. Apparently it has never caused anyone else breakouts, so I'm guessing I'll be safe using it? If anyone else is on the acne.org regimen or has oily & acne-prone skin that knows an excellent moisturizer, please let me know! Many thanks! :)

Oh & ps. Did Desert Essence change the packaging of this moisturizer? When I went to Whole Foods, the only one I could find was the jar in the second picture (not the pinkish one that's displayed first). I looked up the ingredients and they are the exact same though!

on 1/22/2011 1:15:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I love, love, love this stuff. I have ridiculously sensitive skin, and it tames it like no other.