Biologique Recherche Exfoliating Lotion P50

Filtered by eye Color : Green
Biologique Recherche Exfoliating Lotion P50
Exfoliating Lotion P50Enter TitleEnter TitleEnter Title

4.5

Purified water (Aqua), Glycerin, Lactic Acid, Usnic Acid, Witch Hazel extract (Hamamelis Virginiana), Myrrh extract (Commiphora Myrrha), Myrtle extract (Mytrus Communis), Onion extract (Allium Cepa), Sage extract (Salvia Hispanica), Ascorbic Acid, Niacinamide, Polysorbate 80 (&) Sulphur, Phenol (banned in some countries so absent in the product there).

on 11/11/2017 8:37:00 AM

I've officially joined the ranks of women who would take out a second mortgage if it meant never being without Biologique Recherche (in my case, the 70) again. Ok, so maybe a bit of an overstatement but I am so glad I finally tried this. I'm 41, my skin is in pretty good shape in general but I was starting to get annoyed by larger pores and of course always wanting to fend off future lines. My skin was also just starting to look very dull and underlit to me. I'm also chastised regularly by my hair stylist who is also an aesthetician whenever she's rinsing my hair that I need an acid toner to relieve some dry patches. I did my research and decided to just go all out with the 1970 formula. I ordered it from RescueSpa which was quick and easy. You can see the difference within about a day or two - my skin just looks smoothed,the tone more uniform. I use less makeup in general (for example I skip the setting powder) which is very confidence boosting. I put this on by pouring a little bit directly into my hands and patting it into my face neck and chest. Let it sit alone for a few minutes, then slather on argan oil and a heavy moisturizer. Wake up and voila! Super soft and smooth. It does absolutely stink to high heaven - my husband HATES the smell and avoids being near me until it dies down but I just plan accordingly. :)

on 3/8/2017 2:09:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

This review is for the new, regular strength version.

I LOVE THIS STUFF!

I was hoping I wouldn't tbh because it is sort of pricey but after about a month of usage I can say that this will become a staple in my skincare routine.

My skin is pretty used to acids so when I first started using this I immediately started using it 2x a day. However, I went through an intense purge which I didn't expect. Some users say their skin glowed within 3 days of using this...not me. I had to use this for a week or 2 before I saw the results because of all of the purging. I also used to do superficial weekly peels but once I added in the Lotion P50 it made my skin too sensitive and I realized I kept burning which kept ruining my skin, so I reluctantly took out the peels. I thought this toner couldn't possibly give me the result the peels could, but since I spent so much money on it, I did want to at least get some use out of it and give it a try.

I am so happy I did because after a week or 2 my skin started glowing. The texture was minimized and it definitely helps to speed up the disapperance of PIH. I used peels for months (I alternated between lactic acid, glycolic acid and salicylic acid) and my skin looks better now than it did when I was peeling so I don't think I will ever use peels as long as this is around. It did sting at first but now it doesn't sting anymore at all.

The smell doesn't bother me, in fact I kind of like it. Probably because I like the product so much.

If you're thinking about trying this...just do it. It really does work. Try the smaller bottle if you must, but just try it.

After I finish this bottle I want to try the Pigm 400.

on 2/5/2017 5:44:00 PM

This product did nothing for my combination, sensitive, fair skin. No good changes, but no bad changes either. Simply made no difference. When I apply the product (morning and night) it does feel a tad sticky on my skin though.

I had heard such wonderful things I was hopeful. Have been using for 4 months now, and no change. Saved up my money for ages too! the good thing is that I still have atleast 3/4 of the bottle left, so I'll keep trying. The product certainly lasts a long time.

The smell isn't as awful as others day - it smells like apple cider vinegar.

I am probably the only person who hasn't seen results. Given that everyone else loves it I'd recommend that you try it for yourself.

on 1/12/2017 10:13:00 PM

my hg. My hg. I finally have it, my skincare hg....and its for a toner?!! I always thought the magic was in the serums or moisturizers or oils. I've tried so many things just to be totally underwhelmed or horrified by my subsequent breakout.

A little background about my skin: belongs to a 20-something, no blocked pores or blackheads like some others who use this product, is dry, sometime feel dull, not overly sensitive as I can pile on pretty much any product I want with no repercussion except when it comes to skincare, many of which uncharacteristically broke me out.This review is also for the P50 1970 original with phenol. (I'm not sure what the phenol is supposed to do but the original is what everyone raves about so I figured why not just get it.)

As I approach my mid-to-late twenties I was noticing my skin, while in generally good condition, was not as youthfully radiant and soft and hydrated as I remember it being. Maybe it's in my head. But I'm definitely much drier than I was in my teens and not always in love with the texture of my skin as a result. I saw everyone and their mother talking about this product, and everything else I tried for mild anti-aging/texture benefits completely dissapointed me by either doing nothing, or worked great but horribly broke me out. When I'm not messing around with my skincare, my face is totally clear, and I wanted to sustain that but get other benefits too. I was nervous about trying p50 because I read some reviewers state their skin "purged" before it began improving. I ordered two 1.7fl oz bottles, one for me and one for my husband, for us to try together. If we broke out at least we would break out together and not have to suffer alone!

But hello....none of that ever happened. Just pure amazingness. My first few applications stung and burned quite a bit and I was almost certain I was going to wake up with gut wrenching redness or something terrible, but nothing like that ever happened. I was nervous I was going to pay for putting this burning solution on my face---I guess it's the trademark vinegar ingredient?---but I was perfectly fine. I also worked my way up by diluting an organic cotton square with a little bit of water, and then following up with the p50 solution. Within 2 weeks or so there was no more burning.

I didn't notice a drastic overnight change right away. Didn't wake up with a new radiant and glowing face. If anything I will attest that a VERY mild "purge" took place and there was some redness and bumps/pimples on my cheeks that was only noticeable to me. No complaints about that and as I continued to use the toner, it seemed to be correcting this problem. My time of the month also came and went during this time and I acquired two small, surface level whiteheads on my chin. P50 had them gone within 2 days tops. Since I have been using this, I haven't had a single pimple, not even a microscopic one, not even during my time of the month. Holy goodness!

On top of that, my skin is definitely softer and more radiant. I don't really feel more hydrated (I don't think that is a claim or intent) but the sallowness that accompanies dry skin is completely gone. My skin is peachy toned and glowing and youthful. Still working on finding an HG moisturizer but in the meantime, p50 is keeping me on cloud 9 by banishing my dull dry skin look, and keeping me completely clear while I experiment with my regime!

My adorable hubby with pesky blocked pores, blackheads, breakouts, and skin so oily that it sometimes feels sticky to touch (Lol, we always like the things we don't personally have ourselves I guess!) has seen relief with this toner when nothing else seems to work for him. (No worries dear, I love you even if you sprouted face boils!!) of course he isn't the most consistent about using it and I've now moved on to stealing his after using up my bottle. I don't know what I would do without this stuff...I'm addicted! I love waking up with peachy clear skin every day no matter what I do to it! I'm going to be buying this the rest of my life. It is very thin and absorbs instantly, so you don't have to deal with the very strong herbal/medicinal smell for long. However, the smell is something that now comforts me and I enjoy, as crazy as that sounds. It grows on you because you just fall in love with this product. Best news is that the ingredient list is short and sweet and contains no harmful alcohol or fragrance or additive crap.

I have zero qualms about the price ($27 for a 1.7fl oz bottle, I believe.)((there are larger sizes available.)) shipping and customer service is great. My small bottle lasted me months with nightly use. Once I finish the husbands, I will be buying a large bottle, and making sure I NEVER run out.

If you have any mild skin condition; like blackheads, surface level acne, dryness, or just general unsatisfaction with your skin tone and texture, I truly believe this will drastically improve if not totally cure the situation. (Keyword is mild situation though.) it did for me!!

on 1/8/2017 10:23:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I first read about this on the Skin & Tonics blog when I was first getting into AB, and man did I put off trying this as long as possible. I kinda had a sneaking/sinking suspicion that my acid tolerant skin would love this stuff, and I wasn't wrong. The first thing I noticed after using was how incredibly soft my skin was. Okay, that's a lie. The first thing I noticed was that it smelled like vinaigrette, but the second this wasn't definitely the softness. Like to the point that when I just sort of absently touched my face there was an exclamation of profanity and I rushed to the bathroom mirror to gaze at my skin in wonder as I stroked it (yeah, that sounds creepier than it was). The next thing that I noticed was that the tiny little clogged pores on my forehead - the result of wearing hats and sweating - just sort of disappeared. Not sure where they went, but I haven't seen them in like 4 months. Do I still break out while using this? Yes. Occasion hormonal related stuff, and definitely if I use a product my skin hates (most recently a Cover FX primer), but it helps tremendously, *especially* in regards to fading PIH. As to the cost: yes, it's bloody expensive, but I've been using the 1.7oz bottle once a day since October and I'm less than halfway through it (I DO NOT apply it to a cotton ball though - just dispense about 1/4tsp and pat onto my skin), so I think it works out in the end.

on 3/23/2016 9:48:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Abstract - Do not walk, do not run, take a supersonic jet to get this product. Immediately. You need it. Everyone needs it. I feel like I found the reason Helen of Troy was abducted by a smarmy little tool, because her skin was so bloomin' smooth from P50.

Full Review - I really have to contain myself or this review will be fifty-thousand words long. After almost a year of debating, I finally purchased Lotion P50 and Lotion P50 1970 from Rescue Spa. I bought the 1.7 ounce sizes of both, for $27 each.

With complete honesty and no hyperbole, despite how excited I am about this product, both versions of the lotion are the best products I've ever used. I judge that by the effect a product has upon my skin. I am a person with chronic adult acne. See my notepad for way too much info on that aspect, but I have seen the most difference in the health of my skin and the reduction of my acne with the P50 than I have EVER seen with any other product or treatment.

In January of this year, I had yet another horrible acne flare. They come in waves so frequent that the old spots are not fully healed when the new wave hits. It feels disgusting. So I broke down and bought the P50 and revised other aspects of my routine. I began using the P50 on February 16th, and I decided to alternate the P50 and P50 1970 every night. I began by dousing a cotton pad with a rosewater mist and then shaking the P50 on the same pad to dilute in order to prevent sensitivity. I haven't had great experiences with acids in the past, so I was fearful and hesitant.

I felt a slight tingle to begin with, from both formulas. That has since gone away, and I dilute it less and less each week. I barely feel the numbing from the phenol in the 1970 version, and it's really only noticeable when I accidentally get a bit on my lip. So then...after about five weeks of use, continuing to alternate the formulas, my acne has retreated into submission. I have not experienced a new "wave," my spots from previous waves have reduced into nothing, I have no cysts lurking beneath the surface like giant squid ready to attack. The redness from past spots/scars is also reducing consistently, in a way I thought I would not achieve unless I got laser treatments. There is a smoothness that is new to me, and the beginnings of what could turn out to be that elusive mythic "glow."

I love this stuff. I think I might have a slight preference for the P50 over the P50 1970, but I will continue to have both on hand. I might buy the largest size P50 and keep the smaller 1970 around. The bottles of the smaller sizes are pretty basic, and I think the dispenser insert could be designed better, but I'm not really complaining! In this case, you're paying for the formula, and that formula is unique and incredible.

Just for reference, my two 1.7 ounce bottles are both more than half full. I believe that one of those bottles would last about two months when used nightly, making the formula cost $13.50 per month at the smaller size. I know the price is slightly more economical with larger bottle sizes. Rescue Spa has codes on occasion which would also help make these products more accessible. P50 is not something I will go without, EVER, and while I can't speak for skins that have no acne issues, I am so certain of this formula's insane effectiveness that I would recommend it to anyone. You just have to determine which of the six versions is best for you.

on 3/4/2016 6:48:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

**UPDATE Oct. 2016: P50 has changed my skin, and my confidence, for the better. Took me nearly a year to finish the full size bottle.**

Every online review of this acid toner that I read was, frankly, absurd. Breakouts were banished never to be heard from again! Marks and scars faded faster than the speed of sound! Tone and texture as even as a freshly paved road! Jesus wept.

After much internal deliberation and cursory SCB searches, in January 2015 I bought P50 1970 original (with phenol) for $60something from Rescue Spa. I carefully and cautiously followed the most sage tips and tricks from devotees I could find, even if a lot of it was contradictory.

"Use 1-2 drops on a damp cotton round."
"Cotton rounds soak up too much product, and often leave fuzzies behind. Try Shiseido's cotton whatchamacallits instead."
"Screw Shiseido, fingers are the way to be!"
"Pouring the toner into the palm of your hands is messy and wastes product (and $$$)."
"Your skin will purge, it's part of the process."
"Don't use it everyday!"
"It's best to use everyday, at nighttime only."
"Don't use any actives until your skin is adjusted."
"Pat, DO NOT RUB"
"I apply after Vitamin C and before retinol for best results"
"Your skin shouldn't purge, and if it is, you're not reacting well to it. I urge you to stop."

Sometimes I used too much, and my skin immediately hated me for it (i.e. red, itchy, briefly painful, red bumps...). Other times I didn't use enough and was all, WHAT IN THE WORLD AM I MISSING! DO I NEED TO OFFER UP MY FIRST BORN?

I gave it a good six weeks before throwing in the towel.

Until three months ago, January 2016, when hormonal acne struck with a vengeance. The cysts were growing bigger and more painful by the minute. Several whiteheads joined the pity party by late evening. I tried every item in my arsenal, sparing only the bottle of P50 and a stray piece of gauze found in the depths of my medicine cabinet. Desperate times. I gave it whirl and promptly went to bed.

And ohmygod. Literally overnight, the three tenderest musketeers firmly situated on and along my chin were no longer red, throbbing or visible to the naked eye. No trace of whiteheads having ever been on my face. I looked like an Amazonian princess whose delicate features belie her warrior strength..or something like that.

Since then, gauze has been my godsend. Preferably squares folded in half. I use exactly 4 drops, one-and-done swiped all over my face and neck. Every other day, at nighttime usually.

Gauze. It's the easiest, most cost effective, most efficient way to apply P50. I have no idea why.

But now I understand the hype. P50 really is on a whole 'nother level. It will clear your skin. It will fade PIH. You'll see inside your pores for the first time in a decade. You will want to touch your softer-than-a-baby's-bottom face more times than is sanitary. People will tell your ex how "miraculously good" your skin looks since you dumped him (true story).

I advise giving P50, whatever version you choose, the Goldilocks treatment. Don't be afraid to experiment. Find out how much you should apply. Figure out what method of application works for you without wasting product, time, or money (in that order). Learn how often you should consistently use it. Practice patience (it's a virtue I hear). Get things just right.

And if all else fails, try gauze.

on 9/4/2015 7:37:00 AM

LOTION P50:

Water (Aqua), Gluconolactone, Lactic Acid, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Niacinamide, Citric Acid, Ethoxydiglycol, Magnesium Chloride, Malic Acid, Vinegar (Acetum), Phytic Acid, Salicylic Acid, Cochlearia Armoracia (Horseradish) Root Extract, Arctium Lappa Root Extract, Rumex Acetosa Leaf Extract, Myrtus Communis Extract, Commiphora Myrrha Resin Extract, Allium Cepa (Onion) Bulb Extract, Thymus Vulgaris (Thyme) Flower/Leaf Oil, Sulfur, Sorbitol, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate.

LOTION P50W:

INGREDIENTS: Water (Aqua), Gluconolactone, Glycerin, Niacinamide, Propylene Glycol, Lactic Acid, Ethoxydiglycol, Magnesium Chloride, Malic Acid, Vinegar (Acetum), Phytic Acid, Citric Acid, Quillaja Saponaria Bark Extract, Cochlearia Armoracia (Horseradish) Root Extract, Arctium Lappa Root Extract, Capsicum Frutescens Fruit Extract, Arnica Montana Flower Extract, Sulfur, Allantoin, Sodium Salicylate, Serine, Urea, Sorbitol, TEA-Lactate, Sodium Lactate, Sodium Benzoate.

LOTION P50V:

Water (Aqua), Gluconolactone, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Niacinamide, Lactic Acid,
Ethoxydiglycol, Vinegar (Acetum), Magnesium Chloride, Citric Acid, Malic Acid, Phytic Acid, Spongilla Lacustris Spicule Extract, Yeast Extract (Faex Extract), Cochlearia Armoracia (Horseradish) Root Extract, Capsicum Frutescens Fruit Extract, Juglans Regia (Walnut) Seed Extract, Arctium Lappa Root Extract, Sulfur, Sodium Salicylate, Salicylic Acid, Sorbitol, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Metabisulfite, Sodium Benzoate.

on 8/8/2015 10:52:00 PM

Background - I have combo skin, prone to clogs and mild breakouts. And recently some ugly hormonal chin breakouts, due to trying to conceive.

I first started with the P50 1970. It did a decent job, but I wasn't overwhelming impressed by the results. The numbness from the phenol was an entertaining side effect, though.
Now that I'm trying to get pregnant, I've moved on to the regular P50 twice a day. This time I'm very impressed! My skin's been pretty darn clear, minus those hormonal suckers. It definitely stings a bit upon application, whereas the phenol version didn't at all. But, the results are worth it for me. It's pricey, but worth a shot if you're in pursuit of clear, happy skin.
The smell is something to note. I don't find it repulsive, but I dig the smell of vinegar. Either way, it's really not extremely vinegary to me and it doesn't seem to linger on the skin.

on 5/14/2015 9:58:00 PM

Where to even begin...? How can one even convey the amazing-ness that is this product?

Let me put it this way: P50 is a product definitely deserving of its cult status.

I've been using this for about 4 months on my dry/dehydrated/hormonal acne-prone skin and the difference has been remarkable. As many of you know, having dry yet acneic skin is a really troublesome combination to treat - many acne fighting products (such as BP) are simply too drying/sensitising for my skin and often make the problem worse. Not P50 though!

Since using it my skin has been so much more balanced - very few cystic pimples and a huge reduction in the annoying little under the skin lumps/blackheads. The few cystic pimples I do get seem to disappear much quicker and don't seem to scar as easily/there's definitely been an improvement in older scars. As an added bonus, my skin is no longer flaky and tight (in part because of the exfoliating action of the product but also because I think my other products are probably absorbing better now) and the texture is just generally better.

I've used many other BHA/AHAs/acid toners in the past and nothing else really compares for me. However, full disclosure: it's not all smooth sailing from the beginning, it is a product that has to be persevered with. As many other reviewers have mentioned, there is a purging stage which is pretty standard with active ingredients like acids. Whatever you do, don't stop using it when this inevitably happens. Things will improve around the 3-4 week mark (the life cycle of a skin cell is on average 28 days so you need to give it time to work) so don't get disheartened like I did - you'll just have to start all over again. The second time around I found building up usage slowly helped reduce the purging a lot. Use it every other day or dilute it by dampening the cotton pad with water/thermal water and always start from the neck/chest and move up towards the face. Don't wipe, dab gently (almost like a tapping motion). Buy good quality cotton pads/rounds so you don't over-exfoliate (I like Shiseido Facial Cotton). Eventually you can build up to using it full strength, twice a day which is where I'm at now and am really starting to see the benefits.

Overall, this is without a doubt a HG product for me. There is no way I would ever be without it, which is saying something because it's hideously difficult to get in Australia and I work in skincare so I have a bevvy of other 'similar' products (again, nothing REALLY compares) at my fingertips.