Revlon Super Lustrous - Rum Raisin

Revlon Super Lustrous - Rum Raisin
Super Lustrous - Rum Raisin

4.4

on 10/12/2017 10:02:00 AM

I think this shade of reddish-mauvish-brown is very good, incredibly flattering and versatile, 'on trend' if you care about that, but lacks that bit of magic that would make it next level. That being said - I wear it very frequently: it's a total workhorse, and the Revlon Creme formula is one of the most trustworthy on the market (high-end OR drugstore). Smooth, creamy, opaque, easy to apply, wears incredibly well, doesn't dry out your lips, inexpensive. The main reason I trust it (you know what trusting a lipstick means lol) is that the pigment sinks into your lips, so even though there is transfer happening, you don't lose too much color and your lips don't look otherwise grody as the day goes by. No settling into lines or clinging to dead skin. I like to smudge these into my lips - the Revlon Cremes end up looking skin-like and satiny, it's really very nice. Also, the color range is no joke. ANYWAY.

I am a particular fan of the shape of the Revlon bullet for some reason. It nearly eliminates the need for liner. However (I promise this is relevant), I bought this as a possible dupe for MAC's Chili (which is a matte and I prefer cream/satin formulas), but it's definitely not the same shade. However, I also picked up a Revlon lip liner in Sienna, and using it with Rum Raisin warms it up a bit into a more rust-like territory, while using a liner such as MAC's Whirl or NYX Mauve tones down the warmth if you prefer that. It seems to have enough neutrality in it to pull it both ways. This shade is great for fall, for an easy deeper lip you don't have to think about all day (or night). It's especially nice if you want to dip your toe into an autumnal lip situation without going full goth. There's a lot to love about this lipstick! Check it out. Otherwise, why did I write a novel on it??!! Haha :)

on 10/9/2017 8:00:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

I read that Revlon's Rum Raisin is a classic '90s shade (my favourite lipstick decade - I loved all those browns and brick-reds!) so I decided I just had to have it. It's been discontinued in the UK but I managed to find it on Amazon. It's not as "90s" as I thought, but is more of a medium-deep peach/tan/pink shade which is very flattering to my MAC C40 complexion. It's got enough colour to liven up my face on light makeup days without looking overdone, and is a perfect autumn shade.
I would love to try more of Revlon's classic Super Lustrous shades like Toast of New York but we have a very limited range in-store here. If you're lucky enough to live where it's widely available then this is a must-try product ; it's highly pigmented, feels comfortable (even on my normally dry lips) and lasts a good few hours, all at a fraction of the price of a premium lipstick. I've asked a friend currently visiting the US to bring me back another Rum Raisin, because it's one of the few lipsticks I won't want to be without.

This color is really nice. A medium pink it is not too dark or light. I do need to apply once let it set for a minute and add a second coat if I want the full intensity. I have just gotten into the Revlon lipsticks and am impressed with all of them so far :)

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

This is genuinely one of the best lipsticks I have ever used. Brand and price point just makes it more amazing- relatively inexpensive and available anywhere.

The colour is a perfectly balanced reddish brown that is still in 'neutral' territory but makes a statement somehow. Yet still flattering. It is actually very good great formula, great colour. You can always keep it in your purse, not having to worry about matching it to makeup or season. It is MAGNIFICENT.

on 7/7/2017 11:08:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I am on my second tube of this product. I wear it alone, and also in combination with lighter or darker shades.

This is the Revlon creme formula at it's best. It could be a little more long-wearing, but I can't complain at the price.

I don't rate based on the color, but olive make-up wearers! Add this shade to your collection, you won't regret it.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I love this lipstick. The color is not too light or too dark, and it's very flattering.

I'm warm to neutral coloring, fair-to-medium, so I was worried, but it looks great. I think it would suit both warm and cool complexions.

If you normally wear natural, neutral lipsticks, like I do, this is a great way to add more color for fall.

The formula/feel is nice, and decent staying power. This is an excellent lipstick for the price, and just as good as any high-end lipstick I've tried.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

I was never really a lipstick person, until about a year ago. So I started purchasing cheaper lipsticks to get used to them and if the color does not work out, I have nothing to lose but 7bucks. This is my 5th Revlon lipstick and I must say Im impressed with not just the colors but the quality. First of all I probably purchased it due to the name (as I do often)
Lipsticks are hard to review due to the different pigmentation of our lips. On one person Rum Raisin can show up as a red and on another person a muted brick reddish/orange.
It is important to try them on in person and maybe not fully go by the reviews. Lipsticks are the ONLY product that this applies to. Anyway......Rum Raisin on my pale, cool pigmented pink lips comes up as a very pretty warm brown tone with red undertones. Im very fair and since the lipstick is warmer on me than probably a warm toned person, I have to used a yellow based powder and a neutral warm foundation, what Im trying to say is that it will work on a cool toned person but you must work with warm tones otherwise something will be off. I also found the lipstick to make me look older, more mature like. (age31)

on 3/12/2016 11:08:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

Ah yes. Yes yes yes! This lipstick range is everything. But this particular color is life in abundance. This is a dupe for MAC Del Rio which is my day 1, Ace in the hole. So imagine the pleasure that washed over me when I found this for less than $5. The formula is creamy, it applies flawlessly and has a medium brownie brick maroon color. Just like Del Rio. I have lived 29 years on this earth without finding these lipsticks. So I will make up for that by purchasing all of the Creme formula lipsticks that work for my NW45 complexion. And speaking of that, women of color take note. This is one to watch as it is cheap and looks great on. Judging by the reviews it looks great on everyone! Lasts 4 hours on me and the only reason I need to apply again is because I have eaten. Very high quality product which I will continue to repurchase.

on 10/21/2015 2:51:00 PM

I have never bought me a lipstick, this was given by my sister. It was kind of a blind buy for her since the lighting in Sephora was not right despite the fact that she had been there for hours just to buy the perfect shade. However, it turned out to be the best result for me.

It was the exact same colour with my lips, and suprisingly it didn't dry out at all. There was no lustrous effect but more like velvet. The staying power is weak, I had to re-apply every 4 hours but gladly it was not smudging at the corner of my lips. I'm a jobless student so the price is ok for me to buy it again if I ran out of it.

I feel like I fall in love with a new lip color every time one ends up in my collection, but Revlon's Rum Raisin is different. No, for real. Rum Raisin really speaks to me more than any other color has - it gets me. It understands me. I guess what I'm getting at is that I think Rum Raisin is.....the *one*.

Jokes aside, this color is fantastic. It's a unique sort of deep, mauve-tinted rosewood shade, with a hint of reddish brick, all mixed into a midtonal creamy brown base. It's not exactly warm, and it's not cool either (but that's probably due to the fact I have neutral coloring - I can see how this shade might do some slight transforming depending on one's undertones). Although I'm rather pale, this lipstick does the opposite of washing me out, so if you're still trying to find a suitable 90s kind of "marsala" shade then this is your best bet, regardless of skintone. It also looks absolutely gorgeous if you lightly dab it on as a stain, and blend it into your lips with a fingertip (this brings out more of its mauvey red side).

As an avid collector of this particular formula, I know that some of the Super Lustrous shades can be somewhat off in pigmentation, but Rum Raisin delivers 100% of it. It's much more flattering than other popular browns like MAC's Whirl, and carries more impact than Revlon's other 90's classic, Toast of New York. Long story short...if you don't have Rum Raisin, you need it.