Paula's Choice Soft Matte Eyeshadow Trio [DISCONTINUED]

No Image

4.4

Not tested on animals

I purchased one of the trios in Next to Naked. Its a neutral soft brown palette that at first I thought would make me look washed out (I'm a PPP or an NC20), but infact when I put them on, my blue/grey eyes just POPPED! I was amazed. The colours lasted more than 10 hours on me without fading, there was no streaking or creasing either. I do not have any problem with my brushes picking up more than one shade (as the three are side by side). Then again, I use a large shadow brush for the main colour, and a small shadow brush for the crease, and then an angle brush for the darker colour for my eyeliner. Maybe those who are having trouble with that should try the smaller brush sizes.

I love those colors, nice texture, and price. (weekend casual)
I had a hard time deciding the colors since most of those are very natural and useful. I wish they come in a better case.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I love this product! Generally, I think Paula's eyeshadows are great--beautiful, natural colors, matte, long lasting, versatile. However, I love the convenience of having several eyeshadow colors together--it's faster and definitely more portable. I honestly haven't had any problems with getting the right color on my brush, the way many of the reviewers have. I use Paula's mini travel brush set (the heads of the brushes are full size) and have never had a problem. I adore the Beautiful Basics and Next to Naked trios; both are lovely and easy to use.

Another 5 lipstick review on a Paula's Choice item!

I had been a big fan of her shadow singles for about a year now. I had previously been using Laura Mercier and Bobbi Brown on the eyes.

I hate the shimmery, sparkly hint of sheen you'll find in most shadows, unless it is for going out at night. I like a matte, natural looking shadow to enhance my eyes and bring out their blue-green color.

Paula's Choice eyeshadows come in a round pot and are found in singles and trios. I just bought my first trio and love it! I bought her brand new trio shade called Weekend Casual. It has only been on her website a few weeks.

This offers about 2/3 of the pot a soft, neutral light creamy shade for the lid. The other 1/3 of the pot is two equal amounts of a taupe shade and a deeper granite tone to put in the crease and also use as a liner with a brush.

I have never found a better shadow. The colors are perfect, nothing phony. The wear is lasting without being drying. It doesn't cake or get greasy and fade away either. These are THE BEST!

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I have become a big fan of these trios. I found them easier to use than buying Paula's ES as separates, since the colour combinations are perfect (and cheaper too). They don't crease or fade and are really smooth and matte. I have a light cold/rosey complexion with grey/teal eyes and dark ash-brown hair. My eye colour is soft and muted (not a "clear" or "true" colour) and I always found very difficult to purchase the right shades, but this is the exception. With these neutrals, people start to notice the colour of my irises. (Forgive me Paula, for wearing blue or green eyeshadows for years ...)

"Weekend Casual" is a soft combination that would work for most skin tones. It is very light and wearable but I sometimes find the Granite colour makes me look tired. The Nearly nude shade in the trio is the exact colour of my lid.

I was a bit worried in purchasing "Simply Captivating" due to the strong and warm tones, but it actually looks very nice. The Beach colour is not too dark for my lids, the Smoky Taupe is warm but not too much, and the Graphite is superb - quite a sultry look !

"Flirty Amethyst" looked too pink to my taste but I decided to give it a go (I was becoming addicted by then !) It makes my eyes look so much greener, the pink ("shell") is very light and the two other purples are very sophisticated. To my relief it is not too "girly" for a pink-to-purple combination.

However I was very disappointed by "Urban Chic" and "Moonlight Mist" - the Stone shade that is supposed to be applied as a highlighter is far too dark and dull (this would be OK I guess as a crease colour). It is definately a product for tan to dark skin tones. For me, it made me look ill or punched in the eyes or as if I had not slept for two days - you name it. I have tried to use the other two colours, but could not find a matching highlighter, and anyway I didn't like it. Needless to say I threw them in the bin !

"Next to Naked" is quite similar to "Weekend Casual" in depth and look (and they have the same highlighter), but is a warmer combination that is easier to wear.

"Beautiful Basics" is a true neutral, easy-to-wear trio for everybody.

One last point, you can be confident when ordering from the printed catalogue, I found that the colour swatches are exactly the same as the real shadows. This is never the case with Paula's lip shades (I am often very disappointed), don't know why...

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

My skin tone: light/medium, neutral-cool. Eye color: gold/olive green/teal border.

I have purchased Simply Captivating Collection (SCC) and Moonlight Mist Collection (MMC).

These eyeshadows wear well (don't flake, fade, crease, etc.), but the color combinations weren't exactly right for me.

I think SCC's Smoky Taupe is a bit warmer than I'd prefer for my skin tone, but I kept this trio because I like Beach and Graphite so well. For me, this trio remains well worth the money, even though I wish Smoky Taupe were a more neutral color.

I ended up returning MMC because Stone looked ashy and Chocolate Kiss looked wierd against my skin tone. Also, Twilight made me look ill, as most pink/rose eyeshadows have a tendency to do so. I was surprised at this because Twilight is described as a "subdued lavendar-gray," and lavendars and grays generally look sensational on me. Twilight, on the other hand, looks terrible. I think I would describe the color as a "subdued pink/rose-gray."

I have this one in Beautiful Basics, which includes Cream, Smoky Taupe, Charcoal Brown. The eyeshadows are very basic colors, kind of boring, but they do go on smoothly and blend well. My complaint about these is that the eyeshadows are not divided by anything, so I sometimes end up getting powder on my brush from the eyeshadow next to the on I want. However, the price is really good, $9.95. I won't be buying this one again.

I have this in the Next to Naked collection. Very nice colors, blend well, and are buildable for a deeper coloring. The pan is slightly hard to use due to the shadows not having anything to separate the colors - you have to use the right size brush to avoid mixing them. Overall, a nice compact, shadow lasts all day without creasing.