Vincent Longo Lip and Cheek Gel Stain - Cupid's Breath

No Image

4.6

on 8/20/2015 3:57:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

I got an amazing deal at All Cosmetics Wholesale: 3 lip stains for $7.99! The copy for the item said that some of the threads might have been broken, but in fact, the tubes are in perfect condition. The product itself was a little bit thick, so I moistened the doe-foot applicator with distilled water and mixed it in and ta da! It's as good as new!

I am evaluating the product for texture, staining, ease of application and not for the fact that this color actually didn't look all that great on me. In this set of 3, along with Cupid's Breath, I got Liquid Kiss and Sweet Apollonia, which I will review. I suspected that Cupid's Breath wouldn't suit my skin tone, from reading other reviews, but for the price, I could live with that. I'll just pass this on to my friend, as I believe this will suit her.

I love the Longo stains. I got Baby Boo and Liquid Kiss earlier in swaps. The stain applies easily, gives you a little time to blend or correct placement before drying. The vanilla cake smell doesn't bother me, and I don't discern any taste. The stains are great on both cheeks and lips, and do last a good long while topped with a waxy lip balm. Anything more emollient tends to cut down the wear time.

As for the color, it's hard to describe! It's a coral-rusty-red with some subtle brown tones. I think this would be gorgeous on someone with red hair. On me, it actually looks pretty natural, it just is a little bit too warm for me to love. I also think that it's a bit too light to show up on darker complexions unless it was really layered on. This was a fantastic beauty bargain and I'm tempted to buy another set, just to have a stash of the other two colors!

I have liked the idea of lip stains and have bought various ones through the last 10 years. I never stuck with them due to my lip composition, it's pigmented enough and I often have dry or chapped lips in winter so the stain seemed to accentuate the poor condition. Aside from my personal situation, I would absolutely recommend these without question. I bought 3 stains recently, 2 in VL and 1 a while ago in Smashbox as well as Marbella stains back when they had them at Ultas. This one is hands down the best formula. The gel is a great consistency. It's not like putting food coloring on that drips all over the place. I found the colors to be well thought out and blendable. I haven't used it for a cheek stain but I am wholly for dual-purpose products. This was bought at a Sephora with no discount and I only regret that my lips aren't more evenly pigmented.

on 5/31/2009 1:29:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I love this concept of lip stain for the days that you don't want to wear lipstick but still want some color on the lips to not look washed out. This color is a pretty shade of brown. I love the vanilla smell because it goes away quickly :-) Yes, you must exfoliate and moisturize your lips before you even think about wearing this. Great layering product for lipsticks that disappear fast but we don't want to give them up. Pricey? Yes!

on 4/4/2009 7:37:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This is a comment very specifically for the Cupid's Breath colour. The stain itself is magnificent; I already left a very happy review under "Neo Aura". Just a word of "warning" to test out the colour before purchasing if you have a similar skincolour to mine (Mac NC42): it doesn't look remotely like the light orangey-brown on the website, but seems to mix with my lip colour to a peculiar dark purple-red. Unfortunately the colour is very wrong for me. I have nothing against the lipstain otherwise - 10 out of 10 for staying power, texture, and length of use.

*** pic included ***

Love this! I watched VL on QVC do a demonstration on the best way to apply this product to cheeks, so want to share that with you all:

1. After primer and BEFORE foundation, apply the stain to the apples of your cheeks with the wand. Then roughly blend it in an egg-shape back towards your temples along your cheekbones. It doesn't have to be perfect because you'll be applying foundation over it. Make sure it looks GARISH, like a clown :)
2. Apply foundation as normal, blending over the garish, clown blush. The blush will soften and look like an inner glow, with no harsh powdery blush lines etc.

I tried this after watching him and it worked like a charm. Love it :) :) :)

The color is a warmed red in the tube...somewhat brick reddish. On the lips its really pretty too. Wipe the wand on the side of the tube and apply like normal. Apply a gloss or moisturizing lippy over for a long-wearing lip. continued >>

on 7/19/2008 6:18:00 PM

I went to Sephora and ran around like a maniac trying all the lip stains and then rubbing them off and trying more. I settled on this product for one major reason: the color. All the other stains (Stainiac, Lorac, Sephora's Red Wine) seemed to come out the same color on me: a bright berry pink. It wasn't an unflattering look, but they did give me a sort of "little girl who's been eating a popsicle" look. The Cupid's Breath shade is a warm red with orange undertones very similar to the shade of lipstick I usually wear. The only downside is that it looks quite dark on me. I'll have to work on applying a single sheer layer.

on 12/2/2007 10:55:00 PM

I have combo/oily skin that blemish prone so I dont wear foundation of any kind and I wanted something to last a little longer on my bare face. I found this difficult to use. By the time it dried enough to stain, I couldn't blend it and it took me to much time to layer for a fuller color. So I'm going to start using as a lip stain and see how I like it. peace, love and lipgloss

on 11/26/2007 5:14:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

I really like the idea of a lip stain. While, it does last longer than lipstick and lip gloss, it usually only last a couple of hours on me. Cupid's breath is a nice shade, it enhances my natural lip color without being too bright. I haven't quite mastered it as a cheek stain, I wind up looking blotchy.
The positive is this bottle last forever, which is good considering how much it costs. The negative is the cost of course.
I highly reccommend it while you're on vacation because you can leave your hotel and not have to reapply.

on 11/21/2007 6:50:00 PM

I love this, very similar to my sunshine,which btw I like better, just a alittle more pigment. I like the doe foot wand compared to LORACS roller ball , this has easier application and less streaking. staying power is incredible, no breakouts, and you can layer another powder blush on top.

on 10/16/2007 8:39:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure

Got this on sale at Ulta for $5.50! They are liquidating all their Vincent Longo! I've tried this on several times at Sephora before but could not bring myself to pay that $22 and thank God I didn't have to. The color I purchased is Cupids Breath and it brings out the natural orangey pink shade in my lips. At this rate I may buy all the colors.