Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo

Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo

4.3

Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Chloride, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Glycerin, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Citric Acid, DMDM Hydantoin, Fragrance (2011 formula)

on 7/5/2016 11:05:00 AM

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I have thick, dry, medium coarse hair. I often use shampoos and conditioner with oils and deep moisturizing ingredients. I have noticed that since moving to an area with hard water that my hair had a buildup. You know the type, dry yet greasy, limp yet frizzy. I need to deep clean. I picked this up at walgreens for 7 bucks. The first thing I noticed was the smell. Some people say it smells like lavender but I disagree. All I smell is old man. Like that old spice smell. However, the smell did not stay in my hair after use when it dried. I lathered once to break down the film on my hair. I lathered again and it had a massive amount of suds, didn't sting my sensitime scalp, and left my hair squeaky clean. I focused on my roots and then worked it through to the ends. I deep conditioned afterwards for about 10 minutes and was left with voluminous, shiny, and healthy hair. It was a little dry after it was competely dry, but this is a heavy duty cleanser, what can you expect?

on 4/26/2016 12:49:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

CONTAINS FORMALDEHYDE (listed as DMDM HYDANTOIN) which is a known carcinogen banned in Japan and Sweden from toiletries.

Otherwise a good shampoo I've been using for a year :/

To Read all 481 Reviews, Login or Join

on 2/14/2016 10:37:00 PM

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

I lost a lot of hair using this shampoo.

on 2/14/2016 10:15:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

It does remove everything from your hair,
but made my hair too dry even for a weekly use

on 2/12/2016 10:19:00 AM

ALWAYS reply upon this to reset my hair!
I wish it came in larger bottles BUT great for travel. Fragrance: light, clean. Lather: at first, not too much but on the second wash, when the buildup is gone, it's better. Ingredients: minimal and gentle on sensitive skin. Effectiveness: the best. Suave is good but too harsh on my skin. This costs more but you get more out of it.
I enjoy trying different shampoos but always return to this once I learn AGAIN AND AGAIN that nothing EXCEPT this gives me reliably good hair!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I haven't seen the ingredients for this since I bought it (it came in a box which I promptly threw away and the bottle itself simply lets me know its name), but I'm sure it's full of some pretty harsh ingredients. It strips the hair. But that is kind of the point of a clarifying shampoo, isn’t it? It is very effective in getting rid of any buildup from styling products, dirt, treatments gone wrong, what have you. Unfortunately, that just happens to include some of my hair and scalp's natural moisture. I typically use a deep conditioner to counteract it a bit when I use this product.

It’s not the most “sudsy” shampoo, and as such can be a bit difficult to work through the hair. And if I take too long, it can burn a little on my sensitive and dandruff-y scalp.

But in spite of those shortcomings, I still use this about once a month or so. It is truly good at removing product build-up and restoring my hair’s natural waves when they start to straighten out a bit from all of the silicones and whatnot in hair products.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

Works well to get all the gunk out of your hair. But since it's a really strong shampoo, make sure you use a really moisturizing conditioner because your hair will be really dry as well

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

Love love LOVE this! Really cleans out the gunk in your hair (esp. dry shampoo) that builds up over the week. I'm using Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo right now cuz I wanted to try something different and cheaper, and it seems to work okay, but I feel like this shampoo just does it better. Will def. be purchasing again in the future.

on 11/9/2015 6:15:00 PM

Does the job: i use it once a week to clear out residue and styling products. I also use it when my hair color is too intense (too dark or too red) and it works too. Ingredients are a bit nasty so it's gonna be 3/5 for me as i'm trying to purchase cleaner/more natural products lately.

Other use: i use this shampoo with vitamin C (about twenty 1000mg crushed tablets) to help remove permanent hair dye and it works well. The vitamin C shrinks the molecules of the dye and the clarifying shampoo "washes away" the dye. You can lift 0,5 to 1 level with that technique and it's gentle =) It's always my first step before doing a bleach bath or a color remover.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I have used a number of clarifying shampoos over the years, but this this shampoo is hands down the best I've ever used. I have medium length thick hair and I use a lot of products that, over time, end up weighing my hair down, from dry shampoos to oils, cream sprays, powder texturizers, pomade, sea salt spays...you name it. This is the only clarifying shampoo that completely removes all the residue accumulated in my hair from those products, leaving my hair squeaky clean and giving me back the body and movement my thick hair desperately needs after using so many products that create buildup.

This shampoo is gel like in consistency and smells amazing. It smells like lavender. If you're not a lavender lover, the scent could be an issue. However, it works so well that even if I didn't like the scent, I'd still use it. It's that good.

It doesn't create a rich lather, but it spreads and saturates easily. You want to work this into your hair with focus on the scalp for about 3 minutes before rinsing. As soon as you rinse your hair will fell very lightweight and clean.

The one drawback to this shampoo is that it can be rather drying initially. For this reason you do not want to use this shampoo more than once a week, even for those that get oily roots quickly. Those with dryer hair, don't be deterred, because you can combat this by using a good moisturizing conditioner, and following with a good moisturizing oil (I recommend Mythic Oil). I follow this shampoo with Loreal's EverStrong Thickening conditioner, which is actually really nourishing and moisturizing for a thickening/volumizing conditioner. The rosemary scent of the conditioner works well with the lavender scent of the shampoo, and my hair is left feeling hydrated, soft, light, shiny, and full of body.

This shampoo also allows for your regular products and daily shampoo and conditioner to work better. You know how sometimes it seems like something you love and use all the time will stop working for you and you no longer experience the results you did when you first started using it? Well, try using this and then going back. I guarantee it'll work better than it did before. It's like a reset button for your hair.

The bottle is only 6 oz. but because you don't need to use this more than once a week, it should last you awhile, depending on the length of your hair and how much you need to thoroughly cleanse your hair. It's also inexpensive. I typically order it from Amazon for $4.59 as an add on item. It's a few dollars more if you get it from a drugstore.

I had been a Paul Mitchell Shampoo Three Clarifying user until I tried this Neutrogena shampoo. I like the Neutrogena SO much better, and feel like it works a hundred times better at removing even the hardest to remove buildup (ie dry shampoo). It's cheaper, and it works better, so it's a total win. I highly highly recommend this shampoo.

Popular Shampoos