Mary Kay MK Signature Brush Set

4.2

on 3/11/2016 3:07:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I found these brushes to be really good for the price except for the eyeliner/brow brush, the brush hairs break off really easily. The powder, blush and eye shadow brushes are really good! It comes with a bag at no extra cost. My brushes and other make-up items it perfectly in there. I bought this a few years back so idk how Mary Kay does it now (my brushes have black handles) but if they still offer this, buy it! You'll rarely find a good deal on make-up brushes.

on 12/31/2015 8:14:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

(this is a review of black brushes shown in pic...not older white 'signature' ones).
These are very high quality brushes- if you get the real ones and not fake ones on ebay/amazon. I have had everything from Chanel to Mac, Smashbox, Trish McEvoy,etc. and these are very nice. The "eye definer" is the best I have ever felt or used. I have had mine for 5 years and they are still perfect. I noticed reviews that mentioned shedding (never had this problem), scratchy (these brushes are pretty soft, would not scratch), water turning black when washed (never would happen with real ones because the natural hair is not dyed!).

Pros:
-Good price for this quality of brush.
-Very useful high-quality, but practical (so many that come with brushes are for show) bag to store brushes and makeup, which washes easily.
-Amazing eye definer brush
-Excellent double ended eye-liner/brow brush & lash comb....I use the eye-liner end a lot.
-Nice cheek brush for bigger face/wash of color or you can angle differently/squeeze bristles for more control.
-Beautiful, high-quality handles and ferrules

Cons/my personal wishlist:
-Powder brush is just so-so
-I would prefer smaller cheek brush.
-I would prefer separate liner, rather than on double-ended...even if it raised cost.
-Lash/brow end of double ended is just like all the others (which is fine, I guess, but not standout).
-Powder brush could be softer and fluffier (but I am a make-up beginner, just FYI).
-They should sell the brushes separately as well, so you can replace one if lost, or people could just buy ones they wanted.
-Natural hair and made for traditional powder make-up. Mary Kay sells nice synthetic brushes separately, but would be nice to have variety.

tl;dr Don't buy on ebay/amazon, you will end up with shedding, dyed fakes. Real ones are a truly nice brush set for powder make-up.

To Read all 50 Reviews, Login or Join

on 9/20/2015 11:54:00 PM

WORST BRUSHES EVER! These brushes hurt, and shed. Do NOT buy these brushes, they have nearly cut my face before.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This brushes do the job, specially the eye shadow brushes (crease and color brush) but not all of them are the same quality. The powder and blush brushes are below average and the lash/brow combo is nothing special.

Both the face brushes shed a lot. If I compare them with the face brushes I own from Estee Lauder then I must say Mary Kay's are way better. But, there are brushes like Echotools and Real Techniques that are cheaper and don't shed at all. Then, there is another issue with these face brushes: they aren't that soft. When I got them they were the softest I owned but then I got brushes from Yves Rocher and Real Techniques and those are softer and apply the product better, specially the RT ones. The eyeshadow brushes are soft enough and apply the product better than Lancome eyeshadow brushes I own. Still, Real Techniques eye brush set is better and cheaper.

Finally, my major issue is that when I washed them the first time, before I used them, the water came out black as if they are discoloring. That's disturbing and reason enough, for some people, to ditch them.

I'm going to throw the face brushes to the bin and use the other three, definitely wouldn't think of getting another set again. The set is around $42 here, I don't know how much that is in the US but definitely not worth the money just to get two usable brushes.

on 12/18/2012 1:37:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I have no complaints on this brush set. I like the case - could fit a few more brushes and be bit larger in my opinion. It comes with 8 total. The brushes are okay...the powder brush would be the best of the bunch...the blush brush is angled, it works well also. That is about the best of the batch. The eye crease brush is laughable. The hairs look cheap and you can see stragglers all around it. I bought this on eBay half price and am happy with what I got. (But mostly with the case - brushes were not that special)

on 5/8/2012 5:16:00 PM

I really like this brushes. I received them as present two years ago, and I still use them.

PRO
-The Powder Brush, Eye Definer Brush and Eye Crease Brush are great
-The Cheek Brush is not my favorite, but its not bad at all.
-Mine haven't shed, not when they were new, not now after two years of use.

CON
-My Eyeliner/Eyebrow Brush broke the first week, this brush was a total a waste

-One day (after 2 years of washing them with shampoo), I washed them with dish detergent and they dried out horribly!...I know this was my fault. Before I threw them away I thought I could experiment with them. I put some drops of tee tree oil on my brushes for 10 min and then I washed them with my color repair shampoo...they are soft and nice again!

They do have some cons, but overall, I'm pretty happy with them, I think they are not the best out there, but they are good.

on 10/21/2011 3:06:00 PM

I got this brush set for half off ($24) and honestly I wouldn't pay $5 for it. In my opinion, the only usable brushes are the brow brush (but that is nothing special) and then one of the eyeshadow brushes. The hair is of the cheapest quality (if you know anything about brushes, you know that the better quality brushes are cut from the end of the hair, so you have nice, soft tapered ends, whereas the cheaper part is the middle part of the hair, which is cut so it has rough blunt ends). The powder and blush brushes are all but unusable. In addition to the individual hairs themselves having blunt, rough ends, the hairs are arranged such that they are not properly tapered, so you end up with splotches of color. They feel rough on the face and neither the powder nor the blush brush is very full.

Overall, I would NOT recommend these brushes. You could get better brushes at the drugstore. I gave the packaging 2 stars because they do come with a fairly nice brush pouch.

Ps, I'm not a Mary Kay hater. I DO like many of their products, but this one falls short and, with all of the super positive reviews, I felt I should share my experience.

on 6/15/2011 2:17:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

i bought this in the 'colorburst' collection, which is all shadow brushes. LOVE! they are soft and the perfect size. they come with a little bag that i absolutely adore and can use for traveling.
i was looking for some nice, cheap brushes and i found these on ebay for 5 bucks including shipping, so i couldn't be happier! i'm not sure if they are still selling this set, but i would pick it up if you are looking to add to your collection.

on 3/28/2010 12:53:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love this set! I bought it on ebay for the makeup bag, not the brushes, and am I pleasantly surprised!!!
The powder brush is fantastic! It acts as a powder brush and buffer and is PERFECT for getting rid of fall-out under my eyes!
The cosmetic bag this comes in is pure gold. It isn't made well though... so I have been searching for something similar that may be a bit more expensive.
The other brushes are good, but not as good as the powder brush.

on 2/19/2010 8:31:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

When I first felt these brushes at the makeover session they were very soft. I bought these for half price. I don't use the lip brush. I didn't have any other brushes that were like these in shape. I thought they worked quite well. The packaging is very nice and sleek. The handles are good quality and looks like they were well made. However, after the first few washes, the brushes became coarse and abrasive. Particularly the large powder brush and dome shaped eyeshadow brush. They scratch my eyes and cheeks when I use them to apply. I guess the soap I used stripped off the oils on the bristles. I tried to recondition them with leave in conditioner, but they are still scratchy. I would rather get the Ecotools brushes since they never get coarse and scratchy after washing. I'm very disappointed with these brushes. And since I bought these from a Rep, it is a big hassle to return it. Ugh!!!

Popular Makeup Brushes