Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder

LM secret brightening powder / undercover duoLaura Mercier Secret Brightener #2

4.2

on 10/30/2016 5:28:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This is my HG powder for setting undereye concealer. Perfect for anyone with very deep set eyes (and undereye area).

Pros: Finely milled, super brightening and has amazing light reflective particles that make your undereye area look fresh and flawless. Because it is so brightening it's perfect to optically bring forward any areas that are sunken in. It's pricey and the jar is small but, because you need very little product per use, will last you for ever (for me it's been over 6 months). Once your concealer is set with this, you can literally sleep in it and when you wake up your undereyes will still be flawless (shame to admit, but I've been there and done that).

Cons: I can't honestly think of any other than you just need to know how to use it. It is super brightening so if you use it on its own or you don't colour correct or conceal the darkness first, it will just make you look ashy. It has simply not been designed to be used that way. You may also find that unless you have very deep set eyes where the undereye area is a bit sunken in and extreme dark circles (like I do), you may just not need this type of product at all.

on 11/13/2015 11:21:00 PM

loveee this product! I have really bad under-eye creasing and would walk around with a tiny brush to constantly brush away the creasing throughout the day. I've tried numerous powders but none worked as great as the LM secret brightening powder. Once I started using this powder, the creasing under my eyes diminished significantly and my under eyes looked flawless! I use this powder with my beauty blender; I make sure my concealer is well blended and no lines are visible and then pat the powder on. Would definitely repurchase!

Skin: Dry, Olive, Cool

I was so excited to buy this product after hearing great things from the girls at the LM counter and the staff at Space NK. This is a very disappointing product for a few reasons:

If you have a problem with dark circles and need something to set your concealer whilst providing some illumination, this is NOT for you. This has no coverage (I know it isn't meant to) but it also does not brighten the eye area at all. For me it makes my under eyes look quite ashy and grey which obviously does not help my terrible hereditary dark circles.

I also can't seem to understand how this holds your concealer in place? It creases in the fine lines under my eyes and looks dry. I've tried applying this a few different ways and it hasn't made a difference, my concealer is partially removed in application and I'm left looking blotchy and tired.

I would not repurchase this product nor would I recommend it to anyone trying to brighten their under eyes. I will continue my search for a great powder to set my concealer and provide some extra coverage!

Edit: It might be worth mentioning that my dark circles are brown-ish in colour so perhaps this works better for blue/purple-ish dark circles?

on 8/20/2014 2:14:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I was first introduce to LM by my makeup artist on the day of my wedding. I have dark circles and this product works wonders. Ever since then I have always used this product on myself and all my clients (especially with brown tones and the ones that have dark circles around their eyes).

on 8/4/2013 1:41:00 PM

I have this in number 2. It is meant for the under eyes... but I actually use it all over my face as a setting powder. Since the powder is very finely milled I don't look like a disco ball after (I've checked my face in sunlight). IMO, you don't need another setting powder if you have this product especially if you have dry skin. The packaging sucks. There is a sifter - but the container can get very messy; it is not travel friendly at all... since there are so many (less expensive) setting powders out there, I don't believe this is a necessary purchase.

on 2/19/2012 4:53:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I do like this product, but it's not what your thinking. I use this under my eyes after concealer and then I swipe it over my cheek bones to keep things even. I think, it definitely helps to keep my concealer in tack, and I have noticed less smearing and such. It does brighten under my eyes a little. But I don't look in the mirror and think, " Wow I look so refreshed and bright" however, I do notice a difference when I don't use it. I would buy it again, it's very light, and it does not at all appear cake like. I would recommend it, but it's not as amazing as some of the reviews I read before I purchased it myself made it out to me. But, everyones skin tone is different.

on 1/25/2012 3:14:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

Oh! I just don't get it! Can't make it work for me. I bought it after having a make over by the consultant at Myers. I wanted the setting powder, but she chose this for me instead. I can't see the difference. Also make me get black heads if I try to wear it too many days in a row (which I did to see if it did make any difference). I won't dispose of it quite yet..... Maybe I will have some kind of break through with it.

on 7/2/2010 5:48:00 PM

I love this product. It works for me to brighten my under eye area. It also sets the concealer really well and makes it stay on all day. Unlike my usual face powders didnt last, made it look cakey and show my fine lines. Love it :) Also I think the price of 18 is fairly cheap and It was lower than I expected. And it will last for a ages.

on 4/1/2010 5:28:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

Great undereye powder. I have very dark under eye circles and use this to set the LM #2 creme concealer. This powder really helps to lighten up the area, and a little goes a longer way.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

When I first bought this I was disappointed because it didn't work any better than my NARS loose powder. However, I noticed that when taking pictures, it makes my dark circles completely disappear. So I guess this is great if you take lots of pics and want to brighten up your eye area in photographs. Forget about real life, any good loose powder will do the same job.