Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder

Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder
LM secret brightening powder / undercover duoLaura Mercier Secret Brightener #2

4.5

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hey, did you know Sonia Kashuk's Brightening Powder is almost identical to this? It runs around $10.00.

Mercier Secret Brightening Powder:
Talc, Silica, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone, Ethylene/Methacrylate Copolymer, Zeolite, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Sorbic Acid, Methylparaben Phenoxyethanol, Propylparaben Tetrasodium EDTA, Butylparaben, Orchis Maculata Flower Extract, BHT. +/- [May Contain]: MICA (CI 77019), Titanium dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Ferric Ferrocyanide (CI 77510), Carmine (CI 75470), Ultramarines (CI 77007), Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Red 6 (CI 15850), Red 30 (CI 73360), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Yellow 6 Lake (CI 15985).

Sonia Kashuk Brightening Powder:
Talc, Silica, Dimethicone, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Zeolite, Methylparaben, Sorbic Acid, Ethylene/Methacrylate Copolymer, Laureth-4, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Tetrasodium EDTA, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Zea Mays (Corn) Oil, Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Ethylparaben, Orchis Mascula Flower Extract, Disodium Cocoyl Glutamate, BHT, Sodium Cocoyl Glutamate. May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Manganese Violet, Carmine, Ultramarines, Ferric Ferrocyanide, Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide, Bismuth Oxychloride, Red 6, Red 7 Lake, Yellow 5 Lake, Red 30 Lake, Yellow 6 Lake, Blue 1 Lake.

E.L.F. HD Undereye Powder:
Talc, Mica, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone, Crosspolymer, Silica, Magnesium Staerate Dimethicone, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Ascorbyl Palmitate (VC), Phytonadione (VK). May Contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Mica (CI 77019), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Yellow No.5 Lake (CI 19140), Red No.40 Lake (CI 16035), Ultramarine Violet (CI 77007), Blue No.1 Lake (CI 42090)

on 10/9/2014 3:27:00 AM

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Medium

Beautiful, Finely milled and so light! I also got Nars Loose Powder and Elf HD, beecause I read they were comparable and cheaper. No. Not comparable. This with the concealer is SUCH a help with my older eyes. I don't want raccoon eyes and I don't want cakey eyes. I get plenty of sleep and just need some help with shadows. This is IT.

on 8/5/2012 2:36:00 AM

Can't live without this. Its light-reflecting properties and finely-milled consistency make this one of the most versatile products in my arsenal. I use this to set undereye concealer - works better than Powderflage, which can cake at times - as well as an understated highlighter on my cheekbones. This contains no shimmer, no glitter, no shine; it just reflects light. It reminds me of granules of sand at the beach, except it's obviously not as coarse and it's white. The white color is virtually undetectable upon application, but it literally performs as the title suggests: it brightens. After I apply just a dab of concealer to the very darkest areas beneath my eye, I use the pointed end of a dry BeautyBlender to lightly press the Brightening Powder into the concealer to set and brighten. Then I use the larger end of the BeautyBlender to very lightly dust away whatever excess product remains for a totally flawless application. This is the only product and method I've found that lasts throughout the day while completely eradicating the look of undereye puffiness. Doesn't dry my skin and seems to blur my fine lines. And you know that awful magnetic force that pulls eyeliner to concealer? Not here. The Secret Brightening Powder forms some kind of impenetrable barrier over concealer. It's the only undereye product I can count on to stay put, even sitting alongside black eyeliner. There's nothing else like this stuff.

First real thing I've bought at a "counter" at 48 years old, but the fac is a changin'!!! So pleased. I almost slipped out without talking to the woman about "how" to apply correctly! Glad I stuck around.
Tip the container upside down and back again. Dip a fluffy brush (they have one just for this powder) and using just what remains on the lid, PRESSING it into place, no sweeping! This stuff will last FOREVER like this and it works great to brighten and set concealer!! Love it! My skin is kind of light-medium and I got #1. I don't use it to cover dark circles, don't think it would work for that, but it definately adds a brighteness and finish that is what I needed.

on 10/9/2009 9:07:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Hall of fame status for setting one's undereye concealer! This is one of the very few products that I cannot do without. I have dark, hereditary undereye circles and must use concealer. Regardless of what concealer I currently favor, I ALWAYS set it with LM's secret brightening powder. Finely milled, does not settle into fine lines, if applied lightly does not look powdery. (I apply with BB's eye blender brush, but anything of that ilk will do.) For reference, I'm NC25 and use LM's secret in #2. Unique and makes a real difference.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I like this product, but I consider it to be a sort of optional "extra" - I don't use it every time I do my makeup, and I don't typically take it with me when I travel because I get along fine without it, and it takes up space in my makeup bag.

Personally, in terms of setting concealer, I don't notice a big difference between this and LM's translucent setting powder (which I consider a staple of my makeup collection). BUT I enjoy using it for setting my under-eye concealer because of the brightening factor.
I imagine that when I am older and fine lines are more of a factor, I won't be able to use the translucent powder under my eyes anymore, and this product will probably become more important to me (reputedly, it will not settle into fine lines, whereas the translucent powder can).

I appreciate this product most when my under-eye circles are worse than usual, so I imagine that people who really struggle to cover their dark circles might find this to be a really great product.

I have tried to use this for setting concealer on other parts of my face (covering redness or blemishes) and I don't like the effect - I can tell that I've added white powder. (Instead I use the translucent powder).
I've tried to use this like a highlighter with modest success, but the effect is very subtle. If I've got it out, I'll dust it on my cheekbones, but usually I don't bother.

In short, I don't use it that much, but I expect to use it more as I age. I imagine it would be good for those trying to cover darkness, or who have problems with powder settling into fine lines.

Oh! one last thing - if you apply concealer and it just looks a bit too dark (because you've lost your tan, or the color's not quite right for you), this can make up that little bit of difference to get it looking just right. That's the only time when I use it to set non-eye concealer.

on 1/21/2015 1:48:00 PM

I bought this for my under eye area. I didn't remove the sticker, just stuck a pin through a couple of the holes to prevent all of the product from spilling out. I use this every day, but mostly because I have it, not because it does anything great for me. It is very shimmery, but thank goodness that isn't obvious with the naked eye. I don't really see any brightening effect, and it cakes and creases as much as any other powder would.

on 6/24/2010 12:49:00 AM

I have this powder in #2. It is very light cream shade of powder with tiny sparkles in it. This was the shade recommended to me as I have warm toned skin (MAC C4/C5). The powder is very finely milled, too fine to really stop any smudging of mascara you might get if you use under your brows. Did it brighten my very dark circles? No, every time I use this powder it somehow manages to make my dark circles look even darker than how they appeared before I applied my concealer and my undereye area appears to look more sunken than when I use normal face powder on top. I think it must be because the shade of the powder is just too insepid for my colouring which has a fair amount of yellow in it anyway. I'm not sure if I'm right about this but my hunch is if you are someone who suits a white shirt more than an ivory one (try it, one will lift your face much more) then it could be that no #1 is better for you. If it then makes the undereye area look too light, you can always go over it with a very light dusting of bronzing powder.
P.S: Don't apply this between the lower eyelid and the orbital bone, it looks strange in the middle of the summer - I tried it and I did.

on 12/1/2011 8:33:00 PM

I have a love/hate relationship with this product. I love the effect it gives under my eyes and it sets my concealer really well. However, the powder is so fine that it sometimes creeps up my bottom eye lashes and gets into my eyes. This causes eye dryness and vision blurriness. I have to be overly careful when applying. The pot will probably last a really long time but I don't think I'll re-purchase.

on 3/29/2015 12:31:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Laura Mercier where have you been all my life?! (Lurking in John Lewis that's where) this product was recommended to me by a kind soul at Clinique in boots after I'd completed a full lap of the makeup counters and come up empty handed.

I was looking for a translucent powder that I could use over my liquid highlighter to stop my mascara smudging on it under my eyes, but one that would not spoil the effect of wearing a highlighter in the first place, what a conundrum!

This works perfectly, it's a very fine loose powder that looks quite sparkly on first inspection but tones down after you apply it, it sets your highlighter or concealer without 'covering' it and is moisturising so it doesn't dry out your eye area.

*TIP after you dip your brush in the powder tap most of it off back into the pot to get rid of excess- you only need a tiny amount, also make sure you use a light touch but do buff in well with a soft, fluffy brush.
Xx