Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder

LM secret brightening powder / undercover duoLaura Mercier Secret Brightener #2

4.2

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I am mid-40s with crepey undereyes and severe hereditary dark circles that are exacerbated by bad sleep and anemia. I have tried every concealer known to (wo)mankind with no success. I have been told that the only thing that can fix my circles is injectibles but I am chicken because I've heard the bruising in that area can be awful. Oh and also: it costs $1200 USD for the magical undereye injectibles at my derm's office. Which brings me to this powder - my last-ditch attempt to improve the appearance of undereyes that are aging me by 10 years. The only positive I can say about this product is that it is extremely finely milled and contains no obvious sparkles so it does feel high-end. The list of cons is much longer:
- This is not cheap and comes in a teeny little pot. You get almost no product for around $30 USD
- I expected this to brighten my purple circles because Secret BRIGHTENING Powder. This brightens nothing. It mattifies, like any other translucent powder. Nothing secret about that.
- I tried this several different ways - on top of just primer, on top of three different concealers, on top of foundation only, by itself - and it collected in fine lines and highlighted wrinkles like nobody's business.

In a nutshell, this costs a small fortune and rather than diffusing the purple circles, it just made the lines worse. After five failed attempts, I gave up and returned it. Back to considering injectibles.....

This is definitely a must-have IMO. I have been using this powder for setting my under eye concealer for about 3 months now and will not need to try out anything else. This powder is magic, it sets concealer so well I don't have to correct anything during the day in fact it keeps concealer in place until I remove make-up late in the evening. This prevents concealer from emphasizing fine lines and wrinkles (you didn't even know you had, lol). It does the job brilliantly, exactly like it claims it would!

WOW, this is what I have been looking for to set my Bobbi Brown corrector !!! Previous to using secret brightening powder I was using BB loose powder & always ended up with concealer looking cakey, settling into lines & yellow looking. Well not with this beauty - I only wish I had not waited so long. I think the key is to use tiny amounts & add more if you need to. Will be buying some for my Mum !

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I was very eager to try a sample of this product. The name alone is something to encourage the feeling that it really will do something "magical". At Sephora, I got a sample of this in the more yellow-toned shade, hoping it would work well to make my under-eye circles disappear. Sadly, I was really disappointed - the first time a Laura Mercier product has let me down. There's nothing either "secret" or "brightening" about this powder. I tried it as a concealer and it achieved nothing. I tried it over a more traditional concealer and it didn't do a thing to enhance the effectiveness of the concealer. I do use it now to "set" my under eye concealer and it works okay for that but then so does just about any other face powder. I think I will try this in the white shade (I'll get a sample again) but I would not repurchase this product. I've found Bare Escentuals Well Rested powder "concealer" to be far more effective when I use it to set my concealer - it actually adds a degree of "concealing" to that area.

Okay, I am recanting my initial review, changing my "no" to a "yes" on repurchase and upping the lippies for "overall" but knocking off for the dreadful packaging on the full sized jar. And I would repurchase and already have. The reason I've changed my opinion is that while I have several loose setting powders that I use to set my face, if I'm wearing foundation and also my under-eye area to set concealer (which I wear almost every day). What I've found is that some of the setting powders actually seem to suck out the moisture from my under-eye area, leaving some concealers and my under eye area looking drawn and dreadfully dry. Perhaps it is my imagination but this doesn't seem to happen with Secret Brightening Powder (the white one) so as much as it sort of galls me, I did buy the full size of this after my sample (which lasted for an insanely long time) was kaput. And that brings me to the packaging - AWFUL!!!! Why can't this be made with a close-able sifter, like her Mineral Powder Foundation or so many other loose powder products? Once you peel off the sticker covering the holes, you're pretty much screwed with regard to taking this anywhere. I transfer a small amount to an empty MAC sample jar using a small spatula - you can't actually "pour" this into a smaller container because it will go all over the place.

on 1/25/2012 3:14:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

Oh! I just don't get it! Can't make it work for me. I bought it after having a make over by the consultant at Myers. I wanted the setting powder, but she chose this for me instead. I can't see the difference. Also make me get black heads if I try to wear it too many days in a row (which I did to see if it did make any difference). I won't dispose of it quite yet..... Maybe I will have some kind of break through with it.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Love this stuff. It's a HG item for me - it really sets the concealer nicely, and diffuses all the nastly little lines nicely. Good stuff!

on 7/6/2011 2:40:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Why o why can't they make a face powder like this? It brightens, neutralizes, sets whatever's underneath, without creasing, caking, drying and I have dry skin, alternating AHA with high % of Vitamin C. Of course I can dust this all over the face before or after mineral powder, over fdn to set, but the little container's product will run out very soon. I am sure its not much more to make than regular face powder, but since its meant for the eye area, they simply charge more & give less. That's why I am never never loyal to a particular brand.

I knew I was going to like this. I put a light dusting on my eyelids and beneath my eyes after my concealer. I was using Bobbie Brown (matte) white eyeshadow on my lids before this and I think I like this better. It doesn't last as long as I would like, but it does brighten my whole eye area without emphasizing lines (I'm 44). I can't stand the container it came in and I wished I'd only pulled off part of the sticker that it came with, leaving only a couple of holes, because the powder is all over the place now. I bought #2 because #1 looked very white and even though I'm pale I wasn't sure if I wanted something quite that light. I don't have terrible dark circles, so I can't speak to it covering those. I've been wearing it over la touch eclat and it looks quite nice.

on 4/1/2010 5:28:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

Great undereye powder. I have very dark under eye circles and use this to set the LM #2 creme concealer. This powder really helps to lighten up the area, and a little goes a longer way.

on 4/9/2009 12:06:00 AM

I like it, it really does help the concealer stay put all day, even at the gym! I use moisturizer 1st, then I pat on MAC concealer, then with a brush I pat over the concealer to above cheekbones with the powder, buffing it off. Then I use my Bare Minerals makeup, but not under the eyes. At 1st I was alarmed at the concealer powder seeming to dry out my under-eyes, but realized I have to use moisturizer 1st...then I mist over my face with either burts bees carrot oil spray or bare escentuals mist...no more melting away concealer! It adds the tiniest bit of highlight but not much, really. Very subtle and natural.

Update: Not loving this as much, even when I use the smallest amount of powder and buff it and mist it, I find it too dry looking under my eyes. Sorry too, because it is a great color over concealer. I suspect it is the talc, which is not particularly a great ingredient anyway...so I will continue searching for the perfect undereye concealer.