Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder

LM secret brightening powder / undercover duoLaura Mercier Secret Brightener #2

4.2

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I am mid-40s with crepey undereyes and severe hereditary dark circles that are exacerbated by bad sleep and anemia. I have tried every concealer known to (wo)mankind with no success. I have been told that the only thing that can fix my circles is injectibles but I am chicken because I've heard the bruising in that area can be awful. Oh and also: it costs $1200 USD for the magical undereye injectibles at my derm's office. Which brings me to this powder - my last-ditch attempt to improve the appearance of undereyes that are aging me by 10 years. The only positive I can say about this product is that it is extremely finely milled and contains no obvious sparkles so it does feel high-end. The list of cons is much longer:
- This is not cheap and comes in a teeny little pot. You get almost no product for around $30 USD
- I expected this to brighten my purple circles because Secret BRIGHTENING Powder. This brightens nothing. It mattifies, like any other translucent powder. Nothing secret about that.
- I tried this several different ways - on top of just primer, on top of three different concealers, on top of foundation only, by itself - and it collected in fine lines and highlighted wrinkles like nobody's business.

In a nutshell, this costs a small fortune and rather than diffusing the purple circles, it just made the lines worse. After five failed attempts, I gave up and returned it. Back to considering injectibles.....

on 8/5/2017 4:09:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Maybe I just got a particularly glitter-y batch but I find the micro-glitter in this product to be excessive and far too visible, drawing attention to my under eyes instead of doing what all good concealing makeup should do and making them blend with the rest of my face for a natural look.

If the micro glitter wasn't there, this would be a great product. It does brighten up the under eye (and then some, see comment re: glitter bonanza), blends fairly well (I use a damp beauty blender to apply) and stays in place with minimal creasing.

The packaging could be better (and feel less cheap) but is functional.

I would not buy this again.

on 5/4/2017 12:18:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Holy grail alert. I have very oily skin and very dark under eye circles. I have tried so many setting powders for my under eyes before but it was always the same, it looks cakey and my concealer would crease no matter how thin the layer of powder is.

Recently I have attended a Laura Mercier makeup workshop in my area so new products were introduced as well as the good old trusted Laura products. I decided to buy this. I am glad I did. This changed my life. My concealer did not crease, didn't look cakey or thick at all. I use a bigger and loose eyeshadow brush in setting it, not the dense one cos I think it would put a white cast and can be patchy.

My undereyes look brighter and smooth. Though this can be quite expensive but you only need a very little amount for each use so I guess this will last for years. I definitely recommend this. I am loving it very very much!!!

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Worth the price. Held my concealer through heavy crying on multiple occasions. No discernible texture. Brightens. Smooths away edges of eyeshadow in a photoshopped sort of haze.

on 10/30/2016 5:28:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This is my HG powder for setting undereye concealer. Perfect for anyone with very deep set eyes (and undereye area).

Pros: Finely milled, super brightening and has amazing light reflective particles that make your undereye area look fresh and flawless. Because it is so brightening it's perfect to optically bring forward any areas that are sunken in. It's pricey and the jar is small but, because you need very little product per use, will last you for ever (for me it's been over 6 months). Once your concealer is set with this, you can literally sleep in it and when you wake up your undereyes will still be flawless (shame to admit, but I've been there and done that).

Cons: I can't honestly think of any other than you just need to know how to use it. It is super brightening so if you use it on its own or you don't colour correct or conceal the darkness first, it will just make you look ashy. It has simply not been designed to be used that way. You may also find that unless you have very deep set eyes where the undereye area is a bit sunken in and extreme dark circles (like I do), you may just not need this type of product at all.

on 10/24/2016 4:53:00 PM

I have difficulty preventing my under eyes from creasing and I have heard so many good reviews on this product. I do like the brightening look it gives but no matter what concealer I use, I end up creasing and looking very dry. I wouldn't recommend buying this product if you have that issue as well

on 10/17/2016 10:32:00 AM

I gave into the hype and bought this. I'm a high end cosmetics addict and bought most of the products that were hyped in the last 5 years, like the Cle de Peau concealer, dipbrow from ABH, fix plus, you name it. The thing with these hyped products is that there's no guarantee. Some are great like the hoola bronzer or Becca highlighters, some suck like the YSL Touche Eclat blur perfector and some are 'whatever', like the Cle de Peau concealer(the $ though!). This powder is in the 'whatever' category. It doesn't illuminate anything. It's simply not super mattifying and it has a slight white cast. I don't call that illuminating. I'm NC20, so the white cast doesn't look very stark on me, but if you have medium to dark skin, I would imagine it would look weird. I don't like the powder I use under my eyes to be white, because I use a salmon concealer and this is defeating the purpose of using a salmon color, since after i use the powder on top of it, it looks white-ish. Also, my concealer still creases and my eye area looks dry. There's nothing at all special about this powder, first ingredient is talc anyway. Absolutely nothing. You can replace it with any loose powder, especially if it has a bit of reflective propreties. I personally use a peach coloured powder from Givenchy that's very finely milled and keeps my concealer color salmony and it works great. I'll try to use this on my face instead, so it's not totally wasted.

on 1/29/2016 11:34:00 PM

I like to use this powder to set my under eye area and brighten it up for that awake effect. It does cast a white powdery look in flash photography tho, so I'd be careful. Its very soft and finely milled. No scent to this product.

on 1/24/2016 4:32:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

I use it all the time you do need lots of it for it to work lol
. My skin is normal (N15), slightly dry on occasion.

I've had equally good results using this over all of my concealers, which I switch around depending on my mood. Currently I use Cle de Peau concealer in Ivory, Clinique Airbrush Concealer in Fair, and Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer in Chantilly. For liquid concealers I make sure to let them set for a minute or two first before applying the powder. It's so lightweight and silky, extremely sheer, and thin so it doesn't look heavy at all. I use a synthetic fluffy brush to apply so it isn't packed on. The shimmer is subtle but if used heavily it does look more obvious. The powder itself is on the luminous side too, so it may be too much of an effect for those who like a matte quality in their makeup.
I haven't used this anywhere other than my undereye area, so the small size isn't an issue. I've had mine for about five months and it doesn't look like I've used much at all yet. But I think depending on how/where you use this will determine how fast you use up the jar. I think a similar effect can be achieved by other products, and any loose powder will probably do just as fine a job setting makeup, but I do like this and will keep purchasing. I'm a huge fan of light reflecting/glowy makeup and so this is right up my alley. Plus I like that it doesn't irritate my sensitive skin.

on 12/4/2015 4:59:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

What is more recommended, the Secret brightening powder or Translucent loose setting powder? I'm not sure which one to purchase. I feel that if I purchase the secret brighting it will show a lot on pictures. Please give me advice!