Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder

LM secret brightening powder / undercover duoLaura Mercier Secret Brightener #2

4.4

on 12/7/2012 4:17:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I was looking for a under-eye setting powder for a while. I was using plain MAC MSFN dusted on with a fluffy brush prior to finding this and always wondered why my under-eye would always crease or why my liner from the waterline migrated nearly on my cheeks. And when I discovered the Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder, I knew it was going to be a staple.

The powder comes in a regular jar like most Laura Merceir products do, but smaller. It has a sifter so it can get messy. The powder itself is very finely milled, very similar to HD powders which makes it perfect for dusting on top of concealer without it settling into lines. The powder contains very fine shimmer but this doesn't translate onto the skin at all. The way I apply it is this: shake the jar so some powder gets on the cap. My favorite brush to use for setting under eye concealer is the Real Techniques Setting Brush. I take the brush and swirl it into the cap and work it into the brush before gliding it under the eyes. It makes my concealer last all day, prevents migrating of makeup and eye liner and best of all it stays matte so any hollows/puffiness doesn't become more prominent. And it photographs wonderfully, too. This is a must and I keep this on my vanity tray because I want it accessible at all times. Truly a HG and one jar will last you a lifetime. You need such a tiny amount and a little goes a LONG way.

A little tip: DONT PEEL OFF THE STICKER! Just peel off enough for 3-4 holes and give it a shake. The powder will coat the sticker and it'll become a flap. So all you have to do is give the jar a shake and the powder gets spread thinly on the cap. That is all you need! And the flap prevents too much powder from coming out as well as not getting messy.

Another tip: get the Real Techniques Setting Brush to use with this.

on 10/9/2009 9:07:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Hall of fame status for setting one's undereye concealer! This is one of the very few products that I cannot do without. I have dark, hereditary undereye circles and must use concealer. Regardless of what concealer I currently favor, I ALWAYS set it with LM's secret brightening powder. Finely milled, does not settle into fine lines, if applied lightly does not look powdery. (I apply with BB's eye blender brush, but anything of that ilk will do.) For reference, I'm NC25 and use LM's secret in #2. Unique and makes a real difference.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I am mid-40s with crepey undereyes and severe hereditary dark circles that are exacerbated by bad sleep and anemia. I have tried every concealer known to (wo)mankind with no success. I have been told that the only thing that can fix my circles is injectibles but I am chicken because I've heard the bruising in that area can be awful. Oh and also: it costs $1200 USD for the magical undereye injectibles at my derm's office. Which brings me to this powder - my last-ditch attempt to improve the appearance of undereyes that are aging me by 10 years. The only positive I can say about this product is that it is extremely finely milled and contains no obvious sparkles so it does feel high-end. The list of cons is much longer:
- This is not cheap and comes in a teeny little pot. You get almost no product for around $30 USD
- I expected this to brighten my purple circles because Secret BRIGHTENING Powder. This brightens nothing. It mattifies, like any other translucent powder. Nothing secret about that.
- I tried this several different ways - on top of just primer, on top of three different concealers, on top of foundation only, by itself - and it collected in fine lines and highlighted wrinkles like nobody's business.

In a nutshell, this costs a small fortune and rather than diffusing the purple circles, it just made the lines worse. After five failed attempts, I gave up and returned it. Back to considering injectibles.....

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

The reason why I gave it a 4 is because this can last you years and does a good job of brightening your under eyes. I did find that my eyes would crease as the day wore one but this can be fixed if you tear a tissue in half and press it on your under eye makeup (before using the powder). This allows the extra moisture to be absorbed and solves your creasing problems. You can also dab setting spray three times. First time is before applying under eye makeup, then after you've applied (which is before you would apply a setting powder of course) and lastly after applying the powder. Do this and I guarantee your under eye creasing problems will be solved! I learned this trick off youtube lol and the guy is gossmakeupartist. He's got the best makeup tips, I don't know what I've been doing before I watched his videos!!

on 1/21/2011 3:01:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I purchased this product based on the positive reviews on MUA. Thank you for the recommendation, Ladies!

I have been using this to set my HG LM Secret Concealer and I am very, very pleased with the additional benefits this product provides. I apply it sparingly to the under eye area with a large concealer brush immediately after applying Secret Concealer.

It is subtle, but appreciable. The powder is very, very fine and has an exceptionally subtle luminescence that helps light up the under eye area.

Edit 6/2016: I ran out of this about a year ago and didn't replace it because I'm a cheapskate. I finally got around to buying a new jar and after using it one day I looked in the mirror and was shocked at the difference it made--I had forgotten! This definitely is worth the $25.

XO's to Laura Mercier.

on 10/6/2014 5:48:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Whoever said this powder is like a Instagram Filter wasn't lying.

First off I was debating on getting this or the Ben Nye Banana Powder, I have never tried the Ben Nye Powder but I don't like the way it looks on Women of color in pics, I am a NC 45-50 in Mac, Cadiz in Nars Sheer Glow , sometimes it can be a little too yellow in photos which I hate So I decided to get this and thank god I did I first heard about it through Kim K's makeup artist Mario, it brightens the under eye area and in photos it makes the under eye are look sealed and highlighted. As a selfie queen I was actually thrown off about how great it looked it does look like I have a filter on my photos.

Now the product,

The size of it may throw some people off especially for the price but A LITTLE GOES A LONG WAY so this will last for a while. The powder itself has little specks of shimmer in it but again it is not very transparent it still gives a glowing matte look under the eye.

Application

I use a huge fluffy brush to apply it, I put a little of the powder in the cap then I dip the tip of my fluffy brush in the product and apply it under my eyes. Remember very little of this and it works great. Too much will ruin the whole look.

Longevity

Last all day no touch ups.

They are two shades of this I got shade # 2 which Is preferred for tan to dark tones. Darker toned do not be afraid of this product.

on 8/12/2014 5:17:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

It took me two months to finally find this product in stock on sephora. When I got it, I opened it up to find that it had a white sticker on top to avoid the powder from falling out during shipping. While I was removing the sticker, the top part of the stiffer came unloose and powder went flying everywhere. I didn't lose a lot of powder, nonetheless I was not happy. That part should be more tighten down due to the fact that one has to pull the sticker off the holes in order to allow the powder to come out.

This powder is very finely milled. It also very creamy if I dare say. I love applying it with my Blank Canvas Cosmetic F15 face brush. It picks up the powder nicely and distributes it evenly underneath my eye area with its pointed red bristle head.

This powder goes on smoothly and does not settle into the fine lines of your face or eye area. Some people said that it leaves you with a bit of a glitterly look underneath your eyes. I beg to differ. I don't recall seeing any glitter underneath my eyes. However what I did see was my dark under eye circles almost vanish. Normally I apply my Chanel Correcteur Perfection Long Lasting Concealer first and then my Guerlain foundation to hide my dark circles. After that I applied the LM brightening powder and was so shock to see how my under eye area no longer look dark and dreary. Instead it looked alive, with color and bright.

This powder does not leave behind a white cast. However since my skin color is very fair, I don't know how it would look on darker skin tones. Nonetheless LM makes this brighten powder a darker white side (if that makes sense) for those of darker skin tone. Its called LM Secret Brightening Powder II.

The only con I have with this is the size and prize. This powder cost $29 CDN and comes in a very very small container. Don't get me wrong, its not like you need a lot for your under eye area. However for $29 dollars, I expected a lot more in size. The only reason I bought this is because it came highly recommended and I figured I might as well give it a try.

I would highly recommend this powder be used to set your under eye concealer if you are looking for a more alive and bright look which will help to hide the dark circles that your concealer might not be able to fully do!

on 10/26/2009 4:09:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

it is one of the best posible undereye powders. As any powder would do it emphesize fine lines but less than the other powders do. It is white but it disappears like fairy powder in a minute. I put it around my eyes and mounth with mac 190 and when i am done i have a hard to tell difference; no shimmering no nacre but a natural lighter and brighter color. It is one of a kind a must have makeup item. I have not seen any similar powder

on 6/17/2018 12:16:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I've really been enjoying this powder for the last two months. At first I pulled off the whole protective cover and way too much came out. If you did so as well just cover half of the holes with duct tape.

I like the simple packaging and just dab a small amount right after applying concealer with a MAC 246 brush which I keep specifically for that purpose.

I really like the smoothness it leaves behind, doesn't look cakey and brightens the undereye area. It's still a powder though and don't think it can decrease the appearance of fine lines. Also the amount is rather small so it comes expensive overall. Still works better than anything else I've tried and will repurchase.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Love this stuff. It's a HG item for me - it really sets the concealer nicely, and diffuses all the nastly little lines nicely. Good stuff!