Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder

Filtered by hair type : Wavy age: 30-35
Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder
LM secret brightening powder / undercover duoLaura Mercier Secret Brightener #2Secret Brightening Powder

4.3

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I'm somewhat indifferent to the full face version of this but this under eye powder is simply the best thing to happen to my eyes!!! I have extremely bad under eye circles and have used every recommended corrector, concealer, potion, and powder from ludicrously high end to high street and this is without doubt the best. A tiny amount of product covers even my worst dark circles, never looks caked, and never creases. Yes, it is expensive for an under eye powder given so many come in kits already, but nothing compares to this! The only drawback is that so much comes out from one tap of the lid; but given this isn't something to carry on the go and the lid is so secure it's not really an issue. An instant Holy Grail product I already worry what I will do if they EVER discontinue this!

on 10/30/2016 5:28:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This is my HG powder for setting undereye concealer. Perfect for anyone with very deep set eyes (and undereye area).

Pros: Finely milled, super brightening and has amazing light reflective particles that make your undereye area look fresh and flawless. Because it is so brightening it's perfect to optically bring forward any areas that are sunken in. It's pricey and the jar is small but, because you need very little product per use, will last you for ever (for me it's been over 6 months). Once your concealer is set with this, you can literally sleep in it and when you wake up your undereyes will still be flawless (shame to admit, but I've been there and done that).

Cons: I can't honestly think of any other than you just need to know how to use it. It is super brightening so if you use it on its own or you don't colour correct or conceal the darkness first, it will just make you look ashy. It has simply not been designed to be used that way. You may also find that unless you have very deep set eyes where the undereye area is a bit sunken in and extreme dark circles (like I do), you may just not need this type of product at all.

on 9/11/2015 2:11:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Despite not really having a valid reason for needing this powder, I use it all the time. My skin is normal (N10), slightly dry on occasion (depending on weather and allergies), and I typically don't have issues with my concealer fading or moving around on my skin. But I love the effect this gives my undereye area. It adds a subtle luminosity and a soft glow without looking cakey or powdery. It's one of those products that I can easily remove from my routine, or replace with a more light reflecting concealer, but at the same time it's such a simple extra step with a lot of payoff so I can't see myself not using it.

I've had equally good results using this over all of my concealers, which I switch around depending on my mood. Currently I use Cle de Peau concealer in Ivory, Clinique Airbrush Concealer in Fair, and Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer in Chantilly. For liquid concealers I make sure to let them set for a minute or two first before applying the powder. It's so lightweight and silky, extremely sheer, and thin so it doesn't look heavy at all. I use a synthetic fluffy brush to apply so it isn't packed on. The shimmer is subtle but if used heavily it does look more obvious. The powder itself is on the luminous side too, so it may be too much of an effect for those who like a matte quality in their makeup.

I haven't used this anywhere other than my undereye area, so the small size isn't an issue. I've had mine for about five months and it doesn't look like I've used much at all yet. But I think depending on how/where you use this will determine how fast you use up the jar. I think a similar effect can be achieved by other products, and any loose powder will probably do just as fine a job setting makeup, but I do like this and will keep purchasing. I'm a huge fan of light reflecting/glowy makeup and so this is right up my alley. Plus I like that it doesn't irritate my sensitive skin.

on 12/19/2014 9:13:00 AM

This is some good stuff! I was using elf's HD under eye concealer. When I was looking for a new concealer I was interested in Laura Merciers Secret Camouflage which, I love so when I was reading about that I came across this powder. I ordered it right away as I get bluing because I'm so pale in the corner of my eyes. It makes me look like I have insomnia which I kinda do. So I though using this with the concealer only in the corners of my eye might help. Well this powder is amazing! I sweep this with a fluffy concealer brush under and in the corners of my eye. It makes my eyes look so alive! The sparkle actually is kinda not a sparkle because it's used to reflect the light. So the shimmer isn't a deal breaker it's what helps make this product.

I also had a red spot under my eye and with a touch of cover up and this powder and it's gone! I also like how my eye makeup does not move with this. I don't get the mascara panda either. It just makes my under eye area look awake and fresh nothing crazy. It's really amazing how it reflects light to give that well rested appearance which I need sometimes. I also use it just to set my foundation under my eyes and keep my eye liner in place. It's pricy but for me it's plenty for the price and will last forever in my case. I'm an NW20, NARS Monte Blanc, green eyes, blonde hair for reference. I'm the number 1 shade in this and I really like what it does. Instant sleep and no discoloration I'll take it. Recommended!

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hey, did you know Sonia Kashuk's Brightening Powder is almost identical to this? It runs around $10.00.

Mercier Secret Brightening Powder:
Talc, Silica, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone, Ethylene/Methacrylate Copolymer, Zeolite, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Sorbic Acid, Methylparaben Phenoxyethanol, Propylparaben Tetrasodium EDTA, Butylparaben, Orchis Maculata Flower Extract, BHT. +/- [May Contain]: MICA (CI 77019), Titanium dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Ferric Ferrocyanide (CI 77510), Carmine (CI 75470), Ultramarines (CI 77007), Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Red 6 (CI 15850), Red 30 (CI 73360), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Yellow 6 Lake (CI 15985).

Sonia Kashuk Brightening Powder:
Talc, Silica, Dimethicone, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Zeolite, Methylparaben, Sorbic Acid, Ethylene/Methacrylate Copolymer, Laureth-4, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Tetrasodium EDTA, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Zea Mays (Corn) Oil, Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Ethylparaben, Orchis Mascula Flower Extract, Disodium Cocoyl Glutamate, BHT, Sodium Cocoyl Glutamate. May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Manganese Violet, Carmine, Ultramarines, Ferric Ferrocyanide, Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide, Bismuth Oxychloride, Red 6, Red 7 Lake, Yellow 5 Lake, Red 30 Lake, Yellow 6 Lake, Blue 1 Lake.

E.L.F. HD Undereye Powder:
Talc, Mica, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone, Crosspolymer, Silica, Magnesium Staerate Dimethicone, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Ascorbyl Palmitate (VC), Phytonadione (VK). May Contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Mica (CI 77019), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Yellow No.5 Lake (CI 19140), Red No.40 Lake (CI 16035), Ultramarine Violet (CI 77007), Blue No.1 Lake (CI 42090)

This is the ONLY thing I will use to set my clients under eye concealer. It's the only powder that doesn't make the skin look crepey. It absolutley does not highlight wrinkles, it softly diffuses the light and makes the skin appear smoother. It also prevents the concealer from moving around. This is something I will keep in my kit until they stop making it (God forbid).

on 6/2/2011 11:48:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

WHOA. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but I find this powder very sparkly on me. I'm only using just a slight film from the lid and it still looks like I have eyeshadow fallout under my eyes. I have tried this with 3 diff brushes at this point and nothing works. Perhaps it is just showing up very shimmery on my complexion? Don't know, but I really wish I can get this to work because I have bad undereye darkness. If I can't figure it out, I'll be returning it unfortunately.

EDIT 7/6/11: Thank goodness I kept at it and now this works for me! And I don't know why it works now and didn't before because I didn't change brush, technique or amount but it does look beautiful. I now feel like I can't live without this for work. It sets my concealer perfectly and I get about 10 hours wear. Changing from 2 to 4 stars. Will repurchase for sure!

on 2/18/2011 6:32:00 PM

At first I used this product and it just didn't work for me ... but now I found out how to use it and it is part of my daily routine. My tip: first apply your usual concealer, then turn the pot around so that some powder falls into the lid. Turn the pot back its normal position and shake it gently so that all the powder in the lid falls back in the pot. The film of powder that stays in the lid is ALL you need.
Take a small but fluffy brush and sweep through lid. Apply under your eyes and - if you wish - on the lids.
I mainly use it to set my concealer and it works so much better in doing that than any other face powder (which cakes). As for the illuminating effect - I'm less impressed by that effect, but still it's a really nice and useful product. If you use this product correctly it lasts very very long.

on 11/20/2010 2:07:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I think the people who rate this poorly just aren't using it right. This is not a stand alone concealer. This is a finely milled powder to set your undereye concealer WITH. If you have lines, using a regular powder will not be pretty. This definitely brightens up the area as well. I've had no problems with the lid coming off, packaging is perfect. I use it with a smallish fluffy UD brush I got with a palette of theirs with great results. I have super dark circles and with BB correcter, Lancome Effecernes, and this, I don't look like I've been pulling all nighters for a month. :) Oh, and anyone complaining about the price -- this stuff lasts a LONG time. It's a bargain. I don't really get people who review stuff poorly because of price... you knew what it cost when you bought it. To say it works but is too expensive? Not helpful!

In short -- it works and is well worth the price. :)

on 11/14/2007 10:13:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Not sure what the big deal is about this stuff...I tried it for two days and all this stuff did was dry out my undereye area. I used my usual Chanel eye cream, and then concealer, and lightly dusted this on w/ a fluffy brush and by noon I saw lines I never knew I had. Not good...