Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder

LM secret brightening powder / undercover duoLaura Mercier Secret Brightener #2

4.5

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I am mid-40s with crepey undereyes and severe hereditary dark circles that are exacerbated by bad sleep and anemia. I have tried every concealer known to (wo)mankind with no success. I have been told that the only thing that can fix my circles is injectibles but I am chicken because I've heard the bruising in that area can be awful. Oh and also: it costs $1200 USD for the magical undereye injectibles at my derm's office. Which brings me to this powder - my last-ditch attempt to improve the appearance of undereyes that are aging me by 10 years. The only positive I can say about this product is that it is extremely finely milled and contains no obvious sparkles so it does feel high-end. The list of cons is much longer:
- This is not cheap and comes in a teeny little pot. You get almost no product for around $30 USD
- I expected this to brighten my purple circles because Secret BRIGHTENING Powder. This brightens nothing. It mattifies, like any other translucent powder. Nothing secret about that.
- I tried this several different ways - on top of just primer, on top of three different concealers, on top of foundation only, by itself - and it collected in fine lines and highlighted wrinkles like nobody's business.

In a nutshell, this costs a small fortune and rather than diffusing the purple circles, it just made the lines worse. After five failed attempts, I gave up and returned it. Back to considering injectibles.....

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I'm somewhat indifferent to the full face version of this but this under eye powder is simply the best thing to happen to my eyes!!! I have extremely bad under eye circles and have used every recommended corrector, concealer, potion, and powder from ludicrously high end to high street and this is without doubt the best. A tiny amount of product covers even my worst dark circles, never looks caked, and never creases. Yes, it is expensive for an under eye powder given so many come in kits already, but nothing compares to this! The only drawback is that so much comes out from one tap of the lid; but given this isn't something to carry on the go and the lid is so secure it's not really an issue. An instant Holy Grail product I already worry what I will do if they EVER discontinue this!

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Worth the price. Held my concealer through heavy crying on multiple occasions. No discernible texture. Brightens. Smooths away edges of eyeshadow in a photoshopped sort of haze.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I love this stuff! Who knew there was a powder to put over the concealer? I've been using a heavier concealer for the past year (oh, getting older....). This made any mascara or under-eye makeup run and disappear. I bought this online on a whim, and was pleasantly surprised that not only did it not crease, it looked very natural and I could again wear eyeliner and mascara. Great product!

on 6/10/2016 2:30:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

This product is simply amazing! I was traumatized when Benefit got rid of their powderflauge and I was in need of a replacement fast. Based on the reviews here I decided to buy this product and I have never looked back! It doesn't settle into fine lines, it brightens under my eyes and it locks in my eyeliner and bottom mascara so it doesn't run in the summer. I recommend this product to anyone and everyone no matter your skin type or age. Seriously, don't walk, run to the nearest store and buy this ASAP! Holy grail for sure, it will change your life!

on 6/5/2016 4:23:00 PM

I got the powder for Christmas 2015 and it is my most used present. After I finish foundation and concealer I use my beauty blender to pack the powder under my eyes, on my chin, and on the bridge of my nose. I do not know how the powder does it, but my foundation suddenly looks smooth and as close to flawless as I've seen. The packaging is the same as most powders. It's in a pot with a cap with holes in it and you pour the product into the lid. I always end up pouring too much product which is not the best, but I can usually get most of the product back into the pot, but I always have the powder fly into the air when I put the lid on. The other negative is that it is expensive! But it seems to be lasting me. I will say though that I do not where makeup everyday. I would say the pros of the powder our way the cons. This is a definite repurchase.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This is a good product but because I haven't really delved into an exploration of setting powders, I don't have much data to compare this to other under-eye setting powders.

With that said, as soon as I began using this to set my under-eye concealer, it completely improved the performance of my under-eye liner and shadow, as well as the longevity of my tight line on my upper lid. I wear tinted moisturizer, spot conceal and conceal my under-eye circles; the addition of this product makes my overall look polished but still natural. My MUA friend could not tell I was wearing setting powder underneath my eyes.

I apply this with a very slightly damp beauty blender around my eye (360 degrees) once I've let my under-eye concealer set. Be careful not to apply too much, as it will become drying.

My only critique for this product is that I'd like the circumference of the jar to be bigger. Because the jar is so small, I find that when I first purchase the powder overflows and I lose product. This would be okay if this product weren't so needlessly expensive (cheap packing and ingredients--it should be maximum of 22 dollars retail), but it is.

Overall, I will continue to repurchase and use daily until I decide to experiment and change my routine.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Great powder, really helps with my under eye creasing/fine lines. Dont use too much though or else you will look overly highlighted.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

As a huge fan of the Laura Mercier mineral range I thought I'd love this as much as everyone else, but it doesn't do all that much for me. I use it to set my undereye concealer as the MUA recommended, but the finish isn't amazing at all. I love highlighters, but not glitter and I really notice the particles in this. Its a shame, I really wanted to love this after reading so many great reviews.

on 2/5/2013 9:14:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I have this in #2. Almost forgot about it since I don't use it much. No idea how to use it without getting crepey under my eyes.

Tried patting under my eye, still feels like reverse panda with enhanced wrinkles.