Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder

Filtered by skin type : Combination age: 30-35
Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder
LM secret brightening powder / undercover duoLaura Mercier Secret Brightener #2Secret Brightening Powder

4.5

on 10/30/2016 5:28:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This is my HG powder for setting undereye concealer. Perfect for anyone with very deep set eyes (and undereye area).

Pros: Finely milled, super brightening and has amazing light reflective particles that make your undereye area look fresh and flawless. Because it is so brightening it's perfect to optically bring forward any areas that are sunken in. It's pricey and the jar is small but, because you need very little product per use, will last you for ever (for me it's been over 6 months). Once your concealer is set with this, you can literally sleep in it and when you wake up your undereyes will still be flawless (shame to admit, but I've been there and done that).

Cons: I can't honestly think of any other than you just need to know how to use it. It is super brightening so if you use it on its own or you don't colour correct or conceal the darkness first, it will just make you look ashy. It has simply not been designed to be used that way. You may also find that unless you have very deep set eyes where the undereye area is a bit sunken in and extreme dark circles (like I do), you may just not need this type of product at all.

on 10/17/2016 10:32:00 AM

I gave into the hype and bought this. I'm a high end cosmetics addict and bought most of the products that were hyped in the last 5 years, like the Cle de Peau concealer, dipbrow from ABH, fix plus, you name it. The thing with these hyped products is that there's no guarantee. Some are great like the hoola bronzer or Becca highlighters, some suck like the YSL Touche Eclat blur perfector and some are 'whatever', like the Cle de Peau concealer(the $ though!). This powder is in the 'whatever' category. It doesn't illuminate anything. It's simply not super mattifying and it has a slight white cast. I don't call that illuminating. I'm NC20, so the white cast doesn't look very stark on me, but if you have medium to dark skin, I would imagine it would look weird. I don't like the powder I use under my eyes to be white, because I use a salmon concealer and this is defeating the purpose of using a salmon color, since after i use the powder on top of it, it looks white-ish. Also, my concealer still creases and my eye area looks dry. There's nothing at all special about this powder, first ingredient is talc anyway. Absolutely nothing. You can replace it with any loose powder, especially if it has a bit of reflective propreties. I personally use a peach coloured powder from Givenchy that's very finely milled and keeps my concealer color salmony and it works great. I'll try to use this on my face instead, so it's not totally wasted.

on 12/19/2014 9:13:00 AM

This is some good stuff! I was using elf's HD under eye concealer. When I was looking for a new concealer I was interested in Laura Merciers Secret Camouflage which, I love so when I was reading about that I came across this powder. I ordered it right away as I get bluing because I'm so pale in the corner of my eyes. It makes me look like I have insomnia which I kinda do. So I though using this with the concealer only in the corners of my eye might help. Well this powder is amazing! I sweep this with a fluffy concealer brush under and in the corners of my eye. It makes my eyes look so alive! The sparkle actually is kinda not a sparkle because it's used to reflect the light. So the shimmer isn't a deal breaker it's what helps make this product.

I also had a red spot under my eye and with a touch of cover up and this powder and it's gone! I also like how my eye makeup does not move with this. I don't get the mascara panda either. It just makes my under eye area look awake and fresh nothing crazy. It's really amazing how it reflects light to give that well rested appearance which I need sometimes. I also use it just to set my foundation under my eyes and keep my eye liner in place. It's pricy but for me it's plenty for the price and will last forever in my case. I'm an NW20, NARS Monte Blanc, green eyes, blonde hair for reference. I'm the number 1 shade in this and I really like what it does. Instant sleep and no discoloration I'll take it. Recommended!

on 8/4/2013 1:41:00 PM

I have this in number 2. It is meant for the under eyes... but I actually use it all over my face as a setting powder. Since the powder is very finely milled I don't look like a disco ball after (I've checked my face in sunlight). IMO, you don't need another setting powder if you have this product especially if you have dry skin. The packaging sucks. There is a sifter - but the container can get very messy; it is not travel friendly at all... since there are so many (less expensive) setting powders out there, I don't believe this is a necessary purchase.

This is the ONLY thing I will use to set my clients under eye concealer. It's the only powder that doesn't make the skin look crepey. It absolutley does not highlight wrinkles, it softly diffuses the light and makes the skin appear smoother. It also prevents the concealer from moving around. This is something I will keep in my kit until they stop making it (God forbid).

on 9/26/2011 5:24:00 PM

I don't know how this works but it does. After concealing my mild dark circles, a light sweep of this under my eyes with the Laura Mercier mini-fan brush just brightens up the face. I use the #2 as I am a NC30/C4 light tan Asian gal. For the rest of my face (usually just T-zone) I dust with her Invisible Setting Powder or my MUFE HD Powder. But for under the eyes? I ONLY use this Brightening Powder. I am a believer; it really makes a difference and makes me look awake and vibrant!

on 2/18/2011 6:32:00 PM

At first I used this product and it just didn't work for me ... but now I found out how to use it and it is part of my daily routine. My tip: first apply your usual concealer, then turn the pot around so that some powder falls into the lid. Turn the pot back its normal position and shake it gently so that all the powder in the lid falls back in the pot. The film of powder that stays in the lid is ALL you need.
Take a small but fluffy brush and sweep through lid. Apply under your eyes and - if you wish - on the lids.
I mainly use it to set my concealer and it works so much better in doing that than any other face powder (which cakes). As for the illuminating effect - I'm less impressed by that effect, but still it's a really nice and useful product. If you use this product correctly it lasts very very long.

on 11/20/2010 2:07:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I think the people who rate this poorly just aren't using it right. This is not a stand alone concealer. This is a finely milled powder to set your undereye concealer WITH. If you have lines, using a regular powder will not be pretty. This definitely brightens up the area as well. I've had no problems with the lid coming off, packaging is perfect. I use it with a smallish fluffy UD brush I got with a palette of theirs with great results. I have super dark circles and with BB correcter, Lancome Effecernes, and this, I don't look like I've been pulling all nighters for a month. :) Oh, and anyone complaining about the price -- this stuff lasts a LONG time. It's a bargain. I don't really get people who review stuff poorly because of price... you knew what it cost when you bought it. To say it works but is too expensive? Not helpful!

In short -- it works and is well worth the price. :)

on 6/24/2010 12:49:00 AM

I have this powder in #2. It is very light cream shade of powder with tiny sparkles in it. This was the shade recommended to me as I have warm toned skin (MAC C4/C5). The powder is very finely milled, too fine to really stop any smudging of mascara you might get if you use under your brows. Did it brighten my very dark circles? No, every time I use this powder it somehow manages to make my dark circles look even darker than how they appeared before I applied my concealer and my undereye area appears to look more sunken than when I use normal face powder on top. I think it must be because the shade of the powder is just too insepid for my colouring which has a fair amount of yellow in it anyway. I'm not sure if I'm right about this but my hunch is if you are someone who suits a white shirt more than an ivory one (try it, one will lift your face much more) then it could be that no #1 is better for you. If it then makes the undereye area look too light, you can always go over it with a very light dusting of bronzing powder.
P.S: Don't apply this between the lower eyelid and the orbital bone, it looks strange in the middle of the summer - I tried it and I did.

on 6/18/2010 3:15:00 AM

I absolutely love this. It's great for brightening under eye area, dusted over the concealer, but I also use it on other parts of the face which need bit of lightening treatment. I am not very keen on powders with shine or shimmer and prefer very much the matte look - this powder is great in brightening your face without adding the shimmer and keeping it matte.