Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder

Filtered by skin type : Normal age: 30-35
Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder
LM secret brightening powder / undercover duoLaura Mercier Secret Brightener #2Secret Brightening Powder

4.6

on 9/11/2015 2:11:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Despite not really having a valid reason for needing this powder, I use it all the time. My skin is normal (N10), slightly dry on occasion (depending on weather and allergies), and I typically don't have issues with my concealer fading or moving around on my skin. But I love the effect this gives my undereye area. It adds a subtle luminosity and a soft glow without looking cakey or powdery. It's one of those products that I can easily remove from my routine, or replace with a more light reflecting concealer, but at the same time it's such a simple extra step with a lot of payoff so I can't see myself not using it.

I've had equally good results using this over all of my concealers, which I switch around depending on my mood. Currently I use Cle de Peau concealer in Ivory, Clinique Airbrush Concealer in Fair, and Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer in Chantilly. For liquid concealers I make sure to let them set for a minute or two first before applying the powder. It's so lightweight and silky, extremely sheer, and thin so it doesn't look heavy at all. I use a synthetic fluffy brush to apply so it isn't packed on. The shimmer is subtle but if used heavily it does look more obvious. The powder itself is on the luminous side too, so it may be too much of an effect for those who like a matte quality in their makeup.

I haven't used this anywhere other than my undereye area, so the small size isn't an issue. I've had mine for about five months and it doesn't look like I've used much at all yet. But I think depending on how/where you use this will determine how fast you use up the jar. I think a similar effect can be achieved by other products, and any loose powder will probably do just as fine a job setting makeup, but I do like this and will keep purchasing. I'm a huge fan of light reflecting/glowy makeup and so this is right up my alley. Plus I like that it doesn't irritate my sensitive skin.

on 8/12/2014 5:17:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

It took me two months to finally find this product in stock on sephora. When I got it, I opened it up to find that it had a white sticker on top to avoid the powder from falling out during shipping. While I was removing the sticker, the top part of the stiffer came unloose and powder went flying everywhere. I didn't lose a lot of powder, nonetheless I was not happy. That part should be more tighten down due to the fact that one has to pull the sticker off the holes in order to allow the powder to come out.

This powder is very finely milled. It also very creamy if I dare say. I love applying it with my Blank Canvas Cosmetic F15 face brush. It picks up the powder nicely and distributes it evenly underneath my eye area with its pointed red bristle head.

This powder goes on smoothly and does not settle into the fine lines of your face or eye area. Some people said that it leaves you with a bit of a glitterly look underneath your eyes. I beg to differ. I don't recall seeing any glitter underneath my eyes. However what I did see was my dark under eye circles almost vanish. Normally I apply my Chanel Correcteur Perfection Long Lasting Concealer first and then my Guerlain foundation to hide my dark circles. After that I applied the LM brightening powder and was so shock to see how my under eye area no longer look dark and dreary. Instead it looked alive, with color and bright.

This powder does not leave behind a white cast. However since my skin color is very fair, I don't know how it would look on darker skin tones. Nonetheless LM makes this brighten powder a darker white side (if that makes sense) for those of darker skin tone. Its called LM Secret Brightening Powder II.

The only con I have with this is the size and prize. This powder cost $29 CDN and comes in a very very small container. Don't get me wrong, its not like you need a lot for your under eye area. However for $29 dollars, I expected a lot more in size. The only reason I bought this is because it came highly recommended and I figured I might as well give it a try.

I would highly recommend this powder be used to set your under eye concealer if you are looking for a more alive and bright look which will help to hide the dark circles that your concealer might not be able to fully do!

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hey, did you know Sonia Kashuk's Brightening Powder is almost identical to this? It runs around $10.00.

Mercier Secret Brightening Powder:
Talc, Silica, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone, Ethylene/Methacrylate Copolymer, Zeolite, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Sorbic Acid, Methylparaben Phenoxyethanol, Propylparaben Tetrasodium EDTA, Butylparaben, Orchis Maculata Flower Extract, BHT. +/- [May Contain]: MICA (CI 77019), Titanium dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Ferric Ferrocyanide (CI 77510), Carmine (CI 75470), Ultramarines (CI 77007), Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Red 6 (CI 15850), Red 30 (CI 73360), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Yellow 6 Lake (CI 15985).

Sonia Kashuk Brightening Powder:
Talc, Silica, Dimethicone, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Zeolite, Methylparaben, Sorbic Acid, Ethylene/Methacrylate Copolymer, Laureth-4, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Tetrasodium EDTA, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Zea Mays (Corn) Oil, Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Ethylparaben, Orchis Mascula Flower Extract, Disodium Cocoyl Glutamate, BHT, Sodium Cocoyl Glutamate. May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Manganese Violet, Carmine, Ultramarines, Ferric Ferrocyanide, Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide, Bismuth Oxychloride, Red 6, Red 7 Lake, Yellow 5 Lake, Red 30 Lake, Yellow 6 Lake, Blue 1 Lake.

E.L.F. HD Undereye Powder:
Talc, Mica, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone, Crosspolymer, Silica, Magnesium Staerate Dimethicone, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Ascorbyl Palmitate (VC), Phytonadione (VK). May Contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Mica (CI 77019), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Yellow No.5 Lake (CI 19140), Red No.40 Lake (CI 16035), Ultramarine Violet (CI 77007), Blue No.1 Lake (CI 42090)

on 12/30/2008 1:27:00 PM

I bought this from Sephora on the recommendation of the sales lady. I was looking for a good undereye concealer since I started noticing some dark circles. I ended up buying the LM undereye concealer in 3 and this powder. This product is excellent for setting the concealer and really helps with brightening the undereye area. My concealer stays put for the whole day and never settles in my fine lines - which was my biggest concerns. I recommend this product, you get a lot of product so it will last a long time and I will definitely re-purchase. The only thing that could be better is the packaging as they could have made the holes smaller to avoid having so much product come out of the container into the sifter. Other than that, simply perfect! Will re-purchase when I run out.

on 12/23/2007 1:20:00 AM

I received this in a swap after reading the great reviews about this product, and I have this in 01...I am NC 30, and find 01 works well w/ my skintone, but perhaps 02 would work better...who knows as 01 works great for now. I have med-dark under eye circles and usually use 2 concealing products to hide my circles...I 1st use MAC Full Coverage foundation in NW25 and then I apply my EL DW Concealer in Med over that...after I let my EL DW concealer set for a minute, I lightly buff my LM Secret Brightening Powder over it. The results are amazing! My dark circles are hidden, and my under eye area looks awake and naturally bright. The results last all day w/ no apparent creasing or drying...this product is truly amazing as it did not settle into any lines, unlike past products I have tried to set my concealer with. I like the sifter jar packaging as it reminds me of my BE days. I dip my brush in the product, swirl it in the lid of the jar, and tap off the excess, then buff it over my concealer. I took off one lippie as it wouldbe great if it had a SPF of somesort in it, but that's ok, as I like this product so much I will keep using it regardless...will I purchase it when I run out? Yes!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I use this to set concealer...not as a concealer in and of itself. For that, it works great. I use either MUFE's Lift or YSL's Touche Eclat and follow it with a precise dusting of this fine-milled powder. It is mainly a matte, sheer white powder that does have some fine "shimmers" here and there - but they don't really show up (at least not on my PPP/FFF skin) once on. Has a nice, soft focus effect. Should last quite a while, too.

on 11/19/2007 3:59:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

It's not often that I'll be so excited about a product that I'll review after only using a few times, but this product has made such a difference to my appearance I just had to share. I've had dark circles my whole life and although I have found products to help hide them, they're always noticeable. I had despaired of ever being rid of them. Until I tried this stuff. For the first time in my life I have no dark circles! Hallelujah! I just put the tiniest bit on with a fluffly blush, and hey presto, the shadows are banished. I was a bit reticent to put a powder under my eyes, but when its on, it doesn't look like I have powder on at all and it doesn't settle into fine lines. I also use a bit around the side of my nose to smooth out the skin tone (although it can give me a sneezing fit). My only regret is that I didn't discover this earlier. I'm fair and use the #1 shade. It looks startlingly white in the pot, but it blends beautifully when its on.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I love this product so much I'd marry it if I could. OK. That's an exaggeration. But still. I EVANGELIZE over this stuff. At least three people have bought this powder on the basis of my very strong recommendation. This is what it does: it sets the concealer I put all around my eyes (as a brightener and base). Without creasing. And while managing to somehow make my eyes brighter without looking very obviously like highlighter on my eyes. Miracle powder where have you been all my life? (By the way, all girlfriends who bought this powder on my recommendation are similarly in love.)