Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder

Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder
LM secret brightening powder / undercover duoLaura Mercier Secret Brightener #2

4.5

on 8/7/2017 7:59:00 AM

I like this powder, it works well but for the price it's not life changing enough to purchase again.
It has lasted me over a year because I use it sparingly on my under eye area which makes the price easier to swallow but I believe there are cheaper, just as effective, products out there.

on 8/5/2017 4:09:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Maybe I just got a particularly glitter-y batch but I find the micro-glitter in this product to be excessive and far too visible, drawing attention to my under eyes instead of doing what all good concealing makeup should do and making them blend with the rest of my face for a natural look.

If the micro glitter wasn't there, this would be a great product. It does brighten up the under eye (and then some, see comment re: glitter bonanza), blends fairly well (I use a damp beauty blender to apply) and stays in place with minimal creasing.

The packaging could be better (and feel less cheap) but is functional.

I would not buy this again.

on 9/29/2015 4:28:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I went to the LM in hopes of getting the regular translucent powder for setting my concealer and to start trying the "baking" technique. I was disappointed to find out that it was out of stock but the lady somehow managed to convince me into getting the Secret brightening powder for my under eyes and said that the other would be super dry. Now over all, the product is nice, but what I don't like about it is that is contains glitter. I would not repurchase this product because I'm planning to get the regular translucent powder

on 9/11/2015 2:11:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Despite not really having a valid reason for needing this powder, I use it all the time. My skin is normal (N10), slightly dry on occasion (depending on weather and allergies), and I typically don't have issues with my concealer fading or moving around on my skin. But I love the effect this gives my undereye area. It adds a subtle luminosity and a soft glow without looking cakey or powdery. It's one of those products that I can easily remove from my routine, or replace with a more light reflecting concealer, but at the same time it's such a simple extra step with a lot of payoff so I can't see myself not using it.

I've had equally good results using this over all of my concealers, which I switch around depending on my mood. Currently I use Cle de Peau concealer in Ivory, Clinique Airbrush Concealer in Fair, and Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer in Chantilly. For liquid concealers I make sure to let them set for a minute or two first before applying the powder. It's so lightweight and silky, extremely sheer, and thin so it doesn't look heavy at all. I use a synthetic fluffy brush to apply so it isn't packed on. The shimmer is subtle but if used heavily it does look more obvious. The powder itself is on the luminous side too, so it may be too much of an effect for those who like a matte quality in their makeup.

I haven't used this anywhere other than my undereye area, so the small size isn't an issue. I've had mine for about five months and it doesn't look like I've used much at all yet. But I think depending on how/where you use this will determine how fast you use up the jar. I think a similar effect can be achieved by other products, and any loose powder will probably do just as fine a job setting makeup, but I do like this and will keep purchasing. I'm a huge fan of light reflecting/glowy makeup and so this is right up my alley. Plus I like that it doesn't irritate my sensitive skin.

on 6/8/2015 5:29:00 PM

Woah! My under eyes crease a lot and someone recommended this and it's amazing! I've never seen anything like this it stopped my undereyes from creasing and made them look more awake and feel smoother

on 10/6/2014 5:48:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Whoever said this powder is like a Instagram Filter wasn't lying.

First off I was debating on getting this or the Ben Nye Banana Powder, I have never tried the Ben Nye Powder but I don't like the way it looks on Women of color in pics, I am a NC 45-50 in Mac, Cadiz in Nars Sheer Glow , sometimes it can be a little too yellow in photos which I hate So I decided to get this and thank god I did I first heard about it through Kim K's makeup artist Mario, it brightens the under eye area and in photos it makes the under eye are look sealed and highlighted. As a selfie queen I was actually thrown off about how great it looked it does look like I have a filter on my photos.

Now the product,

The size of it may throw some people off especially for the price but A LITTLE GOES A LONG WAY so this will last for a while. The powder itself has little specks of shimmer in it but again it is not very transparent it still gives a glowing matte look under the eye.

Application

I use a huge fluffy brush to apply it, I put a little of the powder in the cap then I dip the tip of my fluffy brush in the product and apply it under my eyes. Remember very little of this and it works great. Too much will ruin the whole look.

Longevity

Last all day no touch ups.

They are two shades of this I got shade # 2 which Is preferred for tan to dark tones. Darker toned do not be afraid of this product.

on 8/12/2014 5:17:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

It took me two months to finally find this product in stock on sephora. When I got it, I opened it up to find that it had a white sticker on top to avoid the powder from falling out during shipping. While I was removing the sticker, the top part of the stiffer came unloose and powder went flying everywhere. I didn't lose a lot of powder, nonetheless I was not happy. That part should be more tighten down due to the fact that one has to pull the sticker off the holes in order to allow the powder to come out.

This powder is very finely milled. It also very creamy if I dare say. I love applying it with my Blank Canvas Cosmetic F15 face brush. It picks up the powder nicely and distributes it evenly underneath my eye area with its pointed red bristle head.

This powder goes on smoothly and does not settle into the fine lines of your face or eye area. Some people said that it leaves you with a bit of a glitterly look underneath your eyes. I beg to differ. I don't recall seeing any glitter underneath my eyes. However what I did see was my dark under eye circles almost vanish. Normally I apply my Chanel Correcteur Perfection Long Lasting Concealer first and then my Guerlain foundation to hide my dark circles. After that I applied the LM brightening powder and was so shock to see how my under eye area no longer look dark and dreary. Instead it looked alive, with color and bright.

This powder does not leave behind a white cast. However since my skin color is very fair, I don't know how it would look on darker skin tones. Nonetheless LM makes this brighten powder a darker white side (if that makes sense) for those of darker skin tone. Its called LM Secret Brightening Powder II.

The only con I have with this is the size and prize. This powder cost $29 CDN and comes in a very very small container. Don't get me wrong, its not like you need a lot for your under eye area. However for $29 dollars, I expected a lot more in size. The only reason I bought this is because it came highly recommended and I figured I might as well give it a try.

I would highly recommend this powder be used to set your under eye concealer if you are looking for a more alive and bright look which will help to hide the dark circles that your concealer might not be able to fully do!

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Normally I stay away from loose powders because I am not a fan of cakey, matte skin. But having moved recently to a hot and humid climate I needed to add one to keep my foundation from sliding off.

Reference point: MAC NC 30-35, NARS Barcelona, Armani #7, tan and normal (occasionally slightly dry) skin. - I use the #2 powder.

I use this after my primer, foundation and concealer have been applied. I take my loose powder brush, something big and fluffy (NARS #1 or the Botan Kabuki) and dust a bit of the loose powder on my forehead, nose, and chin (areas that get shiny for me). Depending on what I'm doing that day, I may dust it all over my face. It does make my foundation last longer and I avoid the oily oxidizing t zone areas. However, while this is a luminous product I still have to use a light hand because it can get a like cakey looking. Honestly though, the difference between the days I skip the powder and the days I use it is pretty small. It's not a miracle face powder.

It's also AMAZING for setting under eye concealer! That's where this powder really shines for me. I love a bright under eye area. A heavy coverage concealer, while effectively covering circles tends to leave my under eye area looking cakey and matte. I use a concealer, a dab of YSL Touché Éclat for luminosity and brightening, then set it for longevity using a fluffy eyeshadow brush with the Laura Mercier powder. Ta Da! Beautiful, natural, bright under eyes. And the effect lasts all day.

In terms of packaging, loose powder has always been messy for me. It's not a purse friendly product.

Overall, I see this lasting a long time, and I may repurchase (although I want to try the NARS loose powder). I love this for setting my under eye concealer and like it for the rest of my face.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hey, did you know Sonia Kashuk's Brightening Powder is almost identical to this? It runs around $10.00.

Mercier Secret Brightening Powder:
Talc, Silica, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone, Ethylene/Methacrylate Copolymer, Zeolite, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Sorbic Acid, Methylparaben Phenoxyethanol, Propylparaben Tetrasodium EDTA, Butylparaben, Orchis Maculata Flower Extract, BHT. +/- [May Contain]: MICA (CI 77019), Titanium dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Ferric Ferrocyanide (CI 77510), Carmine (CI 75470), Ultramarines (CI 77007), Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Red 6 (CI 15850), Red 30 (CI 73360), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Yellow 6 Lake (CI 15985).

Sonia Kashuk Brightening Powder:
Talc, Silica, Dimethicone, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Zeolite, Methylparaben, Sorbic Acid, Ethylene/Methacrylate Copolymer, Laureth-4, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Tetrasodium EDTA, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Zea Mays (Corn) Oil, Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Ethylparaben, Orchis Mascula Flower Extract, Disodium Cocoyl Glutamate, BHT, Sodium Cocoyl Glutamate. May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Manganese Violet, Carmine, Ultramarines, Ferric Ferrocyanide, Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide, Bismuth Oxychloride, Red 6, Red 7 Lake, Yellow 5 Lake, Red 30 Lake, Yellow 6 Lake, Blue 1 Lake.

E.L.F. HD Undereye Powder:
Talc, Mica, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone, Crosspolymer, Silica, Magnesium Staerate Dimethicone, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Ascorbyl Palmitate (VC), Phytonadione (VK). May Contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Mica (CI 77019), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Yellow No.5 Lake (CI 19140), Red No.40 Lake (CI 16035), Ultramarine Violet (CI 77007), Blue No.1 Lake (CI 42090)

on 4/25/2013 8:32:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I just got this powder and I already love it. I bought it mainly to set undereye concealer. But this morning I just tested it out by applying it very lightly over my foundation in the T zone. I didn't think anything of it until I got to work just now, and looked in a mirror. OMG my skin looks FLAWLESS. I mean it looks airbrushed! It doesn't take much at all to make your skin look good. I am super pale and I still think it brightened my undereye area. Not really a fan of the packaging, some of it always seem to come out, even after the lid is on tightly. Best product I've bought in a while.