Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder

LM secret brightening powder / undercover duoLaura Mercier Secret Brightener #2

4.2

on 1/24/2016 4:32:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

I use it all the time you do need lots of it for it to work lol
. My skin is normal (N15), slightly dry on occasion.

I've had equally good results using this over all of my concealers, which I switch around depending on my mood. Currently I use Cle de Peau concealer in Ivory, Clinique Airbrush Concealer in Fair, and Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer in Chantilly. For liquid concealers I make sure to let them set for a minute or two first before applying the powder. It's so lightweight and silky, extremely sheer, and thin so it doesn't look heavy at all. I use a synthetic fluffy brush to apply so it isn't packed on. The shimmer is subtle but if used heavily it does look more obvious. The powder itself is on the luminous side too, so it may be too much of an effect for those who like a matte quality in their makeup.
I haven't used this anywhere other than my undereye area, so the small size isn't an issue. I've had mine for about five months and it doesn't look like I've used much at all yet. But I think depending on how/where you use this will determine how fast you use up the jar. I think a similar effect can be achieved by other products, and any loose powder will probably do just as fine a job setting makeup, but I do like this and will keep purchasing. I'm a huge fan of light reflecting/glowy makeup and so this is right up my alley. Plus I like that it doesn't irritate my sensitive skin.

on 10/21/2015 11:36:00 AM

NOTHING SPECIAL PEOPLE!!!
I have the ben nye cameo powder and I think it definitely does a better job of concealing and brightening. I seriously think this stuff is just a gimmick and people go for it because of the name and brand.
I really don't think it does much.

Maybe it works for some people? I don't know. I also have the NARS pressed transluscent powder and I think that does a better job. Will be returning this one.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Cool

I was so excited to buy this product after hearing great things from the girls at the LM counter and the staff at Space NK. This is a very disappointing product for a few reasons:

If you have a problem with dark circles and need something to set your concealer whilst providing some illumination, this is NOT for you. This has no coverage (I know it isn't meant to) but it also does not brighten the eye area at all. For me it makes my under eyes look quite ashy and grey which obviously does not help my terrible hereditary dark circles.

I also can't seem to understand how this holds your concealer in place? It creases in the fine lines under my eyes and looks dry. I've tried applying this a few different ways and it hasn't made a difference, my concealer is partially removed in application and I'm left looking blotchy and tired.

I would not repurchase this product nor would I recommend it to anyone trying to brighten their under eyes. I will continue my search for a great powder to set my concealer and provide some extra coverage!

Edit: It might be worth mentioning that my dark circles are brown-ish in colour so perhaps this works better for blue/purple-ish dark circles?

on 1/5/2015 10:23:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

I bought this with a voucher I had for Christmas as I fancied something to set my under eye concealer with. Utter disappointment. I may as well use baby powder on my face. I used it sparingly and it instantly settled into my makeup and fine lines- I'm only 30 and don't have many!
It's the only time my partner has said 'are you wearing foundation?' As he hates heavy make up, as do I. As it set into my make up it took away the 'dewy glow' I have from it too which emphasised my dark circles.

The pot it comes in is also isn't very nice. The only positive thing I could think of is that it would probably last you a while as you only need such a tiny bit.

Boo to my wasted voucher! :(

I really love this powder. It's one of the few powders I've used that actually prevents my undereye concealer from creasing. I use NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer and all the other powders (MUFE HD Microfinish Powder and NARS Pressed Powder) did not prevent it from creasing, but with this I have no creasing!

I also think that the slight shimmer in it actually does brighten up my undereye circles and I do notice a difference after I apply it over my concealer. The shimmer can look somewhat scary on your hand or in the jar, but don't worry it really doesn't look like a disco ball when you put it on under your eyes! I've also used it to set my cream highlighter along my nose and on my forehead, and it looks nice used like this as well.

on 8/20/2014 2:14:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I was first introduce to LM by my makeup artist on the day of my wedding. I have dark circles and this product works wonders. Ever since then I have always used this product on myself and all my clients (especially with brown tones and the ones that have dark circles around their eyes).

This is definitely a must-have IMO. I have been using this powder for setting my under eye concealer for about 3 months now and will not need to try out anything else. This powder is magic, it sets concealer so well I don't have to correct anything during the day in fact it keeps concealer in place until I remove make-up late in the evening. This prevents concealer from emphasizing fine lines and wrinkles (you didn't even know you had, lol). It does the job brilliantly, exactly like it claims it would!

on 12/30/2012 4:02:00 PM

Hair: Red, Other, Medium

I can see how this might be an awesome product if you don't have super fair skin. But, I do.
I've been using it after I'm done with my foundation and concealer, to set my under eye concealer and brighten that area. It works great for setting, but doesn't brighten at all, which I guess is because my skin is already so white.
SO, if you're pale I wouldn't recommend it...you can use a regular, less expensive powder to set your concealer. If you have olive or darker skin, this might be great for you.
If you're pale and you just love playing around with a million products, have at it. It works very well as an under eye powder. My concealer lasts longer than without it, and my mascara doesn't migrate to below my eye.However, I won't be repurchasing since I'm pretty sure I can get the same results with the MAC powder I use on the rest of my face.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Amazing. It should make wrinkles look more prominent, but it doesn't! And what a dif in how long my concealer lasts on, at least three times as long. This is a gem, if you have serious problems with dark undereyes, invest in this.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

This is a brightening powder made to set your under eye concealer.
****PROS****
1. This powder sets your under eye concealer and keeps it on all day
2. A little of this powder goes a VERY long way. Just get a tiny bit on your brush, tap off any access and then apply. Use less than you think you'll need.
3. It does brighten your under eye area. If your concealer is a little too dark, this will lighten it a little and make it brighter
4. This powder doesn't set in to fine lines, dry or cake as much as every other (refer to cons below)
5. Is pretty reasonably priced considering it will lst you a long time!
6. The little jar is handy for traveling and storing
7. Comes in 2 shades; 1 and 2. I have #1 (I am NC15)
8. One reason I like to use this powder, is to stop my mascara from transfering on to my under eye area. Whenever I put concealer on under my eyes, and then put mascara on, the mascara always leaves black smudges under my eyes (because the oils and moisture in my concealer causes the mascara to smudge). This Laura Mercier Powder stops my mascara from transferring on to my under eye are (not just this powder, any powder will do the trick).
****CONS****
1. Now, this is still a powder. Even though I said that this 'doesn't set in to fine lines, dry or cake as much as every other powder does', it still does do those things! It's a powder! What is a powder supposed to do, if you think about it? Absorb access oils and moisture, etc. This is still a powder. So it will absorb access moisture under your eye, causing it to dry and crease. Less than other powders, but still. If you think about it, all anti-aging foundations or foundations for mature skin are moisturizing and dewy instead of being drying and oil absorbing, because wrinkles and fine lines are less visible when the skin is moisturized and hydrated rather than dry. So the drier the skin (and any powder including this one will make your skin drier), the more your fine lines will be visible. When I just put this powder on, it looks flawless and creaseless and amazing. As the day goes on, it does crease and dry my under eye area out (I know because I tested this stuff out under one eye but not under the other). This doesn't crease as much because it contains silica I think (which helps it not crease)
2. You can see little shimmer particles in the powder. Some people say that the shimmer in this powder is so finely milled that you can't see the shimmer particles, but you definitely can. If you look closely, under sunlight after you apply this powder, you can see little shimmers. So it's not just a glow, it's shimmer (I would prefer more of just the glow rather than the shimmer particles)
3. This powder is white and contains silica, so be careful not to apply too much under your eyes or it will flash back white (like the makeup forever HD powder, just not as extreme as that one). Only use a tiny bit of this powder!
****APPLICATION TIPS****
1. I use the brush that Laura Mercier recommends for this (the camouflage powder brush or something). It looks like a mini foundation brush. It's the perfect size and shape for your under eye area
2. Apply this powder RIGHT AFTER you apply your under eye concealer. Do not do the rest of your face/eyes first, put on your under eye concealer, smooth out any fine lines that are visible (I do this with the beauty blender), and pat this powder on. I find if I wait to put this powder on, my under eye area is much drier looking than if I put this on straight away
3. While the jar is closed, turn the Jar upside down once (so that powder goes on to the lid). Then turn it the right way, and tap the lid (so that access powder falls back in to the main jar.
4. With your brush (and I do recommend a brush for this), get a tiny bit of powder from the lid (so that you don't get too much).
5. Then tap off any access powder (just tap your brush against the lid a couple of times so that the access powder falls back in to the lid). This will ensure that you don't use too much powder.
6. This is optional, but I also like to pat the brush with the side of the powder a couple of times on the back of my hand (to further get rid of any access powder)
7. When applying this powder, PAT it on. Do not sweep or blend.
8. Start applying it in the area where you have the least amount of fine lines/wrinkles. I recommend starting on the outer corner of your under eye area (part near your temples) You want to apply the least amount of product near your inner corners and around that part of your eye as you want that to be as non cakey and non dry as possible. (when someone looks in to your eyes, they will see the inner part of your eye more than the outer). So start applying on the outer corner and work your way to the inner corners
This gives the best result for me(and I have tried a lot of ways)
****BOTTOM LINE****
I still gave this powder 4 stars because it works better than any other powder I have ever used under my eyes (I have tried loose powder, translucent powder, pressed powders, powder foundations etc.)Everything looks FAR, FAR worse under my eyes than this does. I'm not stupid, I realize that this is a powder, and despite being made for under your eyes and despite being brightening, it will still do what powders were invented to do. So as far as a powder goes, this does deserve 4 stars in terms of being a great under eye powder! I don't use this stuff too often because I use a waterproof concealer under my eyes, so I don't necessarily need my under eye concealer to last longer. I probably would re-purchase it, just because if I ever switch concealers or need to use a powder under my eyes (maybe if I don't use such a long wearing concealer), this is the only powder I will ever turn to. I recommend it to anyone who has troubles with their concealer lasting. I think it would work better for people with oily skin rather than dry skin though. If you need an under eye powder, try this. Just keep in mind th