Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder

Filtered by skin tone : Fair age: 30-35
Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder
LM secret brightening powder / undercover duoLaura Mercier Secret Brightener #2Secret Brightening Powder

4.1

on 6/17/2018 12:16:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I've really been enjoying this powder for the last two months. At first I pulled off the whole protective cover and way too much came out. If you did so as well just cover half of the holes with duct tape.

I like the simple packaging and just dab a small amount right after applying concealer with a MAC 246 brush which I keep specifically for that purpose.

I really like the smoothness it leaves behind, doesn't look cakey and brightens the undereye area. It's still a powder though and don't think it can decrease the appearance of fine lines. Also the amount is rather small so it comes expensive overall. Still works better than anything else I've tried and will repurchase.

on 9/11/2015 2:11:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Despite not really having a valid reason for needing this powder, I use it all the time. My skin is normal (N10), slightly dry on occasion (depending on weather and allergies), and I typically don't have issues with my concealer fading or moving around on my skin. But I love the effect this gives my undereye area. It adds a subtle luminosity and a soft glow without looking cakey or powdery. It's one of those products that I can easily remove from my routine, or replace with a more light reflecting concealer, but at the same time it's such a simple extra step with a lot of payoff so I can't see myself not using it.

I've had equally good results using this over all of my concealers, which I switch around depending on my mood. Currently I use Cle de Peau concealer in Ivory, Clinique Airbrush Concealer in Fair, and Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer in Chantilly. For liquid concealers I make sure to let them set for a minute or two first before applying the powder. It's so lightweight and silky, extremely sheer, and thin so it doesn't look heavy at all. I use a synthetic fluffy brush to apply so it isn't packed on. The shimmer is subtle but if used heavily it does look more obvious. The powder itself is on the luminous side too, so it may be too much of an effect for those who like a matte quality in their makeup.

I haven't used this anywhere other than my undereye area, so the small size isn't an issue. I've had mine for about five months and it doesn't look like I've used much at all yet. But I think depending on how/where you use this will determine how fast you use up the jar. I think a similar effect can be achieved by other products, and any loose powder will probably do just as fine a job setting makeup, but I do like this and will keep purchasing. I'm a huge fan of light reflecting/glowy makeup and so this is right up my alley. Plus I like that it doesn't irritate my sensitive skin.

on 1/5/2015 10:23:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

I bought this with a voucher I had for Christmas as I fancied something to set my under eye concealer with. Utter disappointment. I may as well use baby powder on my face. I used it sparingly and it instantly settled into my makeup and fine lines- I'm only 30 and don't have many!
It's the only time my partner has said 'are you wearing foundation?' As he hates heavy make up, as do I. As it set into my make up it took away the 'dewy glow' I have from it too which emphasised my dark circles.

The pot it comes in is also isn't very nice. The only positive thing I could think of is that it would probably last you a while as you only need such a tiny bit.

Boo to my wasted voucher! :(

on 12/19/2014 9:13:00 AM

This is some good stuff! I was using elf's HD under eye concealer. When I was looking for a new concealer I was interested in Laura Merciers Secret Camouflage which, I love so when I was reading about that I came across this powder. I ordered it right away as I get bluing because I'm so pale in the corner of my eyes. It makes me look like I have insomnia which I kinda do. So I though using this with the concealer only in the corners of my eye might help. Well this powder is amazing! I sweep this with a fluffy concealer brush under and in the corners of my eye. It makes my eyes look so alive! The sparkle actually is kinda not a sparkle because it's used to reflect the light. So the shimmer isn't a deal breaker it's what helps make this product.

I also had a red spot under my eye and with a touch of cover up and this powder and it's gone! I also like how my eye makeup does not move with this. I don't get the mascara panda either. It just makes my under eye area look awake and fresh nothing crazy. It's really amazing how it reflects light to give that well rested appearance which I need sometimes. I also use it just to set my foundation under my eyes and keep my eye liner in place. It's pricy but for me it's plenty for the price and will last forever in my case. I'm an NW20, NARS Monte Blanc, green eyes, blonde hair for reference. I'm the number 1 shade in this and I really like what it does. Instant sleep and no discoloration I'll take it. Recommended!

on 8/12/2014 5:17:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

It took me two months to finally find this product in stock on sephora. When I got it, I opened it up to find that it had a white sticker on top to avoid the powder from falling out during shipping. While I was removing the sticker, the top part of the stiffer came unloose and powder went flying everywhere. I didn't lose a lot of powder, nonetheless I was not happy. That part should be more tighten down due to the fact that one has to pull the sticker off the holes in order to allow the powder to come out.

This powder is very finely milled. It also very creamy if I dare say. I love applying it with my Blank Canvas Cosmetic F15 face brush. It picks up the powder nicely and distributes it evenly underneath my eye area with its pointed red bristle head.

This powder goes on smoothly and does not settle into the fine lines of your face or eye area. Some people said that it leaves you with a bit of a glitterly look underneath your eyes. I beg to differ. I don't recall seeing any glitter underneath my eyes. However what I did see was my dark under eye circles almost vanish. Normally I apply my Chanel Correcteur Perfection Long Lasting Concealer first and then my Guerlain foundation to hide my dark circles. After that I applied the LM brightening powder and was so shock to see how my under eye area no longer look dark and dreary. Instead it looked alive, with color and bright.

This powder does not leave behind a white cast. However since my skin color is very fair, I don't know how it would look on darker skin tones. Nonetheless LM makes this brighten powder a darker white side (if that makes sense) for those of darker skin tone. Its called LM Secret Brightening Powder II.

The only con I have with this is the size and prize. This powder cost $29 CDN and comes in a very very small container. Don't get me wrong, its not like you need a lot for your under eye area. However for $29 dollars, I expected a lot more in size. The only reason I bought this is because it came highly recommended and I figured I might as well give it a try.

I would highly recommend this powder be used to set your under eye concealer if you are looking for a more alive and bright look which will help to hide the dark circles that your concealer might not be able to fully do!

on 6/2/2011 11:48:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

WHOA. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but I find this powder very sparkly on me. I'm only using just a slight film from the lid and it still looks like I have eyeshadow fallout under my eyes. I have tried this with 3 diff brushes at this point and nothing works. Perhaps it is just showing up very shimmery on my complexion? Don't know, but I really wish I can get this to work because I have bad undereye darkness. If I can't figure it out, I'll be returning it unfortunately.

EDIT 7/6/11: Thank goodness I kept at it and now this works for me! And I don't know why it works now and didn't before because I didn't change brush, technique or amount but it does look beautiful. I now feel like I can't live without this for work. It sets my concealer perfectly and I get about 10 hours wear. Changing from 2 to 4 stars. Will repurchase for sure!

on 12/22/2010 5:47:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I don't know if I don't get it or if this just don't suit me...? If I put it lightly over my face or cheekbones I look sparkling/glittery...and if i put it around my eyes/under eyes it does not hide more than a light concealer + shadow.... I don't know if I use it in the wrong way, but this is nothing special....

Beside all this I don't like glitter in my face cause it easely looks "too much" on acne-prone skin... I "light reflecting" concealer is something else, but this contains glitter/sparkle...

The price is also very high.

So until I really learn how to use this or if it suits me, i won't repurchase...

on 6/18/2010 3:15:00 AM

I absolutely love this. It's great for brightening under eye area, dusted over the concealer, but I also use it on other parts of the face which need bit of lightening treatment. I am not very keen on powders with shine or shimmer and prefer very much the matte look - this powder is great in brightening your face without adding the shimmer and keeping it matte.

I apply a slight dusting under my eye to set my concealer and it really does a great job. Keeps my concealer in place and delivers that subtle brightening effect, especially noticeable when I only do one under eye and compare the difference. Very happy with the results and will repurchase. For reference I purchased #1 and I'm PPP.

on 8/19/2008 10:07:00 AM

I use this to set my bobbi brown corrector and the result is perfect. with small amount my under eye circles disappear. it's the best.