Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder

LM secret brightening powder / undercover duoLaura Mercier Secret Brightener #2

4.1

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I am mid-40s with crepey undereyes and severe hereditary dark circles that are exacerbated by bad sleep and anemia. I have tried every concealer known to (wo)mankind with no success. I have been told that the only thing that can fix my circles is injectibles but I am chicken because I've heard the bruising in that area can be awful. Oh and also: it costs $1200 USD for the magical undereye injectibles at my derm's office. Which brings me to this powder - my last-ditch attempt to improve the appearance of undereyes that are aging me by 10 years. The only positive I can say about this product is that it is extremely finely milled and contains no obvious sparkles so it does feel high-end. The list of cons is much longer:
- This is not cheap and comes in a teeny little pot. You get almost no product for around $30 USD
- I expected this to brighten my purple circles because Secret BRIGHTENING Powder. This brightens nothing. It mattifies, like any other translucent powder. Nothing secret about that.
- I tried this several different ways - on top of just primer, on top of three different concealers, on top of foundation only, by itself - and it collected in fine lines and highlighted wrinkles like nobody's business.

In a nutshell, this costs a small fortune and rather than diffusing the purple circles, it just made the lines worse. After five failed attempts, I gave up and returned it. Back to considering injectibles.....

on 1/21/2015 1:48:00 PM

I bought this for my under eye area. I didn't remove the sticker, just stuck a pin through a couple of the holes to prevent all of the product from spilling out. I use this every day, but mostly because I have it, not because it does anything great for me. It is very shimmery, but thank goodness that isn't obvious with the naked eye. I don't really see any brightening effect, and it cakes and creases as much as any other powder would.

on 12/6/2013 2:36:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have to say this is a great product if you are under 40. I've used this for years. Always thought I liked it. Helped cover my dark circles and set my under eye makeup. But after a few hours I always think when I look in the mirror that my eyes look more dry, wrinkly and crinkly. So I thought I would try not using this anymore and just use a setting spray. Oh My God!! What a difference! I look like I don't even have under eye wrinkles anymore. It emphasizes wrinkles at any age. I know make artist say to put powder under your eyes to set the makeup, but it's a huge mistake. I look 10 years younger since I stopped using this product. Maybe if you are in your 20's this would be good, but otherwise be careful, if you want to look to look younger. Setting sprays are the best!!!!

on 1/25/2012 3:14:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

Oh! I just don't get it! Can't make it work for me. I bought it after having a make over by the consultant at Myers. I wanted the setting powder, but she chose this for me instead. I can't see the difference. Also make me get black heads if I try to wear it too many days in a row (which I did to see if it did make any difference). I won't dispose of it quite yet..... Maybe I will have some kind of break through with it.

on 12/18/2008 8:09:00 AM

I purchased this product based on the fantastic reviews on this board. I'll join the minority in stating that it does nothing for me. I used Bobbi Brown corrector in light peach, dabbed a little Cle De Peau concealer, then set with the Secret Brightening Powder. The SBP seemed to emphasize my laugh lines and make my under eyes look chalky. I thought maybe I used too much so the next day I applied my BB concealer and a just a light dusting of the SBP. I didn't see anything at all - no brightening, no glow, no sparkle and certainly no camouflaging of dark circles (mine aren't even that bad). Would not buy again.

on 8/28/2008 1:37:00 AM

I was easily convinced that an extra fine powder would be invisible and yet take away that shiny look under the eyes. I tested one eye with the LM secret brightening in #1 and the other under eye area w/Nars loose poweer which I use on my face. I found no difference. Why buy two powders when an extra fine face powder does the same thing. I was definately sold on it and excited to try it, but found nothing secret or magical about it. I would never buy again.

on 4/5/2006 12:10:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I hoped that this would offer some diffusion and brightening (I used it over LM Secret Concealer), but it flaked and caked, just like every other powder and many concealers I have used in the past. Gave me that crackly/alligator-skin look, even though I used just the tiniest amounts (as recommended) and tried various amounts of moisturizer underneath. I had also hoped I could use this as a subtle highlighter on the inner corners of my eyes, but it flaked there, too. I returned it.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Too drying on my dry skin. If dryness is not an issue for you this is a fantastic, subtle brightener. It's finely milled and easy to use. The color disappears into my skin. The LM MUA at Nordstrom advised me to use just a tiny bit over my under eye concealer. Good advice, but this is still just far too drying.

on 12/30/2012 4:02:00 PM

Hair: Red, Other, Medium

I can see how this might be an awesome product if you don't have super fair skin. But, I do.
I've been using it after I'm done with my foundation and concealer, to set my under eye concealer and brighten that area. It works great for setting, but doesn't brighten at all, which I guess is because my skin is already so white.
SO, if you're pale I wouldn't recommend it...you can use a regular, less expensive powder to set your concealer. If you have olive or darker skin, this might be great for you.
If you're pale and you just love playing around with a million products, have at it. It works very well as an under eye powder. My concealer lasts longer than without it, and my mascara doesn't migrate to below my eye.However, I won't be repurchasing since I'm pretty sure I can get the same results with the MAC powder I use on the rest of my face.

on 12/1/2011 8:33:00 PM

I have a love/hate relationship with this product. I love the effect it gives under my eyes and it sets my concealer really well. However, the powder is so fine that it sometimes creeps up my bottom eye lashes and gets into my eyes. This causes eye dryness and vision blurriness. I have to be overly careful when applying. The pot will probably last a really long time but I don't think I'll re-purchase.