Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder

LM secret brightening powder / undercover duoLaura Mercier Secret Brightener #2

4.2

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I am mid-40s with crepey undereyes and severe hereditary dark circles that are exacerbated by bad sleep and anemia. I have tried every concealer known to (wo)mankind with no success. I have been told that the only thing that can fix my circles is injectibles but I am chicken because I've heard the bruising in that area can be awful. Oh and also: it costs $1200 USD for the magical undereye injectibles at my derm's office. Which brings me to this powder - my last-ditch attempt to improve the appearance of undereyes that are aging me by 10 years. The only positive I can say about this product is that it is extremely finely milled and contains no obvious sparkles so it does feel high-end. The list of cons is much longer:
- This is not cheap and comes in a teeny little pot. You get almost no product for around $30 USD
- I expected this to brighten my purple circles because Secret BRIGHTENING Powder. This brightens nothing. It mattifies, like any other translucent powder. Nothing secret about that.
- I tried this several different ways - on top of just primer, on top of three different concealers, on top of foundation only, by itself - and it collected in fine lines and highlighted wrinkles like nobody's business.

In a nutshell, this costs a small fortune and rather than diffusing the purple circles, it just made the lines worse. After five failed attempts, I gave up and returned it. Back to considering injectibles.....

Skin: Dry, Olive, Cool

I was so excited to buy this product after hearing great things from the girls at the LM counter and the staff at Space NK. This is a very disappointing product for a few reasons:

If you have a problem with dark circles and need something to set your concealer whilst providing some illumination, this is NOT for you. This has no coverage (I know it isn't meant to) but it also does not brighten the eye area at all. For me it makes my under eyes look quite ashy and grey which obviously does not help my terrible hereditary dark circles.

I also can't seem to understand how this holds your concealer in place? It creases in the fine lines under my eyes and looks dry. I've tried applying this a few different ways and it hasn't made a difference, my concealer is partially removed in application and I'm left looking blotchy and tired.

I would not repurchase this product nor would I recommend it to anyone trying to brighten their under eyes. I will continue my search for a great powder to set my concealer and provide some extra coverage!

Edit: It might be worth mentioning that my dark circles are brown-ish in colour so perhaps this works better for blue/purple-ish dark circles?

on 1/5/2015 10:23:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

I bought this with a voucher I had for Christmas as I fancied something to set my under eye concealer with. Utter disappointment. I may as well use baby powder on my face. I used it sparingly and it instantly settled into my makeup and fine lines- I'm only 30 and don't have many!
It's the only time my partner has said 'are you wearing foundation?' As he hates heavy make up, as do I. As it set into my make up it took away the 'dewy glow' I have from it too which emphasised my dark circles.

The pot it comes in is also isn't very nice. The only positive thing I could think of is that it would probably last you a while as you only need such a tiny bit.

Boo to my wasted voucher! :(

on 1/17/2013 4:25:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

It is good and stays long but after using for a week I developed some dry rash. It made my skin very dry and itchy.

on 9/23/2011 12:44:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I returned it got my money back....just bad

on 12/22/2010 5:47:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I don't know if I don't get it or if this just don't suit me...? If I put it lightly over my face or cheekbones I look sparkling/glittery...and if i put it around my eyes/under eyes it does not hide more than a light concealer + shadow.... I don't know if I use it in the wrong way, but this is nothing special....

Beside all this I don't like glitter in my face cause it easely looks "too much" on acne-prone skin... I "light reflecting" concealer is something else, but this contains glitter/sparkle...

The price is also very high.

So until I really learn how to use this or if it suits me, i won't repurchase...

I just don't get it... I've had this for quite a while and still don't get it... It does nothing for me except actually illuminate the darkness and lines under my eyes like a big ol' spotlight.

Evidently I fell for the presentation on qvc or hsn or whatever. This stuff is useless to me.

I can't get over all the good reviews. That's what made me keep trying it, but I just can't get it to work.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

i don't know what i was thinking when i bought this product...i mean...a POWDER....for UNDER MY EYES - the most dry, crepey, and line filled area i have on my face, and it's not even that bad. but it is the one area that i try to AVOID getting powder on, so why on earth did i spend $40+ on this powder and the brush?!?!?

i was so excited to try it after reading the reviews, but it really did nothing for my eye area except make it look matte, dry, and tired. at first i put too much on, so i tried again with just a light dusting, and it still looked awful. i'm sorry to bring down the rating but it just didn't work for me, and wasn't worth the money for something that just made me look older. my recommendation? try it out before you run in and buy it like i did.

on a plus side, i did keep the brush that they market with the powder...it's really soft and works very well for concealer, foundation, powder touch-ups, etc. at least i got something good out of my purchase!

on 12/29/2008 2:52:00 PM

This did absolutely nothing for me. I found it to be expensive for what just seems to be a powder.

on 11/14/2007 10:13:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Not sure what the big deal is about this stuff...I tried it for two days and all this stuff did was dry out my undereye area. I used my usual Chanel eye cream, and then concealer, and lightly dusted this on w/ a fluffy brush and by noon I saw lines I never knew I had. Not good...