Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder

Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder
LM secret brightening powder / undercover duoLaura Mercier Secret Brightener #2

4.2

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hey, did you know Sonia Kashuk's Brightening Powder is almost identical to this? It runs around $10.00.

Mercier Secret Brightening Powder:
Talc, Silica, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone, Ethylene/Methacrylate Copolymer, Zeolite, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Sorbic Acid, Methylparaben Phenoxyethanol, Propylparaben Tetrasodium EDTA, Butylparaben, Orchis Maculata Flower Extract, BHT. +/- [May Contain]: MICA (CI 77019), Titanium dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Ferric Ferrocyanide (CI 77510), Carmine (CI 75470), Ultramarines (CI 77007), Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Red 6 (CI 15850), Red 30 (CI 73360), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Yellow 6 Lake (CI 15985).

Sonia Kashuk Brightening Powder:
Talc, Silica, Dimethicone, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Zeolite, Methylparaben, Sorbic Acid, Ethylene/Methacrylate Copolymer, Laureth-4, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Tetrasodium EDTA, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Zea Mays (Corn) Oil, Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Ethylparaben, Orchis Mascula Flower Extract, Disodium Cocoyl Glutamate, BHT, Sodium Cocoyl Glutamate. May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Manganese Violet, Carmine, Ultramarines, Ferric Ferrocyanide, Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide, Bismuth Oxychloride, Red 6, Red 7 Lake, Yellow 5 Lake, Red 30 Lake, Yellow 6 Lake, Blue 1 Lake.

E.L.F. HD Undereye Powder:
Talc, Mica, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone, Crosspolymer, Silica, Magnesium Staerate Dimethicone, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Ascorbyl Palmitate (VC), Phytonadione (VK). May Contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Mica (CI 77019), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Yellow No.5 Lake (CI 19140), Red No.40 Lake (CI 16035), Ultramarine Violet (CI 77007), Blue No.1 Lake (CI 42090)

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I have to admit I was forced to eat crow regarding Laura Mercier's Secret Brightening Powder. Having never tried it, I assumed it was a shimmery loose powder and could not imagine that looking good under the eye area. Then I actually *tried* it. This is a loose powder that comes in a mini shaker container and is for the purpose of *setting* ones concealer. Obviously it is advertied to be applied over Mercier's cream concealer's and brightening pen. This product is pure magic. It does indeed have a bit of shimmer to it; however, once applied the shimmer is little to not noticable at all. I use it with the recommended LM brush (wide, flat, stiff). And thru trial and error I learned that a little amount (very little) does the trick and what I end up with is smooth, crease-free finish, dark circles hidden (I use Bobbi Brown Correcteur). After all of this, I still was not convinced so I measured its flawless finish under one eye against her translucent loose powder, bobbi brown loose powder too. Lines, lines, lines under this eye. Dry, dehydrated appearance juxtapositioned next to the clean, smooth canvas on other. This has become a must have product for me as it also allows me to look great on no makeup days save for concealer and this powder. It is expensive but let me tell you, this will last a very long time given that it is intended to be used very sparingly. I have had the same container for 8 months and I still have plenty left. I am porcelain ppp and use Intensity 1 out of the 2 shades offered. I am highly recommending this product for many reasons but the main is how it absolutely allows me to look pulled together on days I am in a rush. Correcteur, brightening powder, lipstick, brows and I am off and running. Give this product a chance and don't pack it on. I think you will be sold on it too.

on 3/5/2011 12:33:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Update 12/15/12, wanted to update as I've now tried shade 2, the more yellow and warm toned version of the powder. I'm quite yellow toned myself and always wondered what 2 was like. But it turns out #1 is still the way to go as it seems to have optical brighteners that are enhanced by the cool, white, almost blue/lavender undertone. I find under eye creams with such a tone to also be most effective so this is no surprise to me. However 2 does something #1 isn't great for. While #1 works magic on under eye skin and fine lines there, it doesn't seem to work as well on other areas of the face in that same blurring way. However 2 somehow does a great job at that! I find it helps tone down and "smooth" the appearnce of red upper cheeks especially well. pdate, 4/24/12 still love this more than a year after first trying it. Imagine applying your undereye concealer, or whatever you use there, maybe foundation, maybe you've given up on trying to make the area look better and use nothing. Then you pat on some fine white-ish powder and life is a little more bearable, I mean your under eye area, yes, of course thats what I meant. To this day, I am amazed at what this can do, and since I use this last in my routine, its like a little lift on days the rest of my makeup is more of less a bit of a let down for one reason or another. Does what it says and dont we all wish everything and everyone were that way? Of course if you meet your dream mate with this on then they see you without, its not my fault if they run screaming. Seriously, try this.

Original review below:

I hesitated to review this fearing I'd jinx myself. Rarely does a product live up to the hype for me. I have extremely dry under eye skin due to a medical condition effecting both my tear and moisture glands. I've "held up" rather well I'd say given my age, pass for much younger routinely, but the dryness under my eyes caused me to try one cream and then concealer, after another. That I also have very dark hereditary circles didn't help. My skin under my eyes is very thin as well, always has been the type you could see veins, even as a kid. All these issues made finding the right products for the area, a tall order.

I read and read about this powder, almost afraid to be let down, so didn't try it till this past week. I love it! It really turns back the clock for me because in hrs, any other powder, low end or high, would crease due to my dryness. I tried a multitude of other powders, none worked, all creased in short order. I was amazed with this because once I got it home in my hot little hands I didn't even wait to reapply mu, no, if this is so good, how would it look over mu that's been on all day, with creases already there no less?! The answer is not bad, it somehow smoothed the creases and I looked more awake.

Impressed I tried it the next day over LM's concealer number 2, and the combo is so good! The concealer seems too thick and peachy but works somehow so well especially with the powder. Smooth, clear, brightened, under eye skin. Today I tried it over Revlon Spa concealer since the LM one is expensive for every day, and voila, looked great! That concealer always looked good, but way too dewy, never seemed to fully set on me, till today. I got compliments on how good I look, so well rested when I am anything but this past week. If you have dry under eye skin or are over 40, you are cheating yourself out of looking even better, younger too, if you don't try this!

I rarely give anything a 5 rating but this deserves it!
Edit, May 31,2011
Continue to love this powder! I now use it in other ways such as a little blended with any HD powder I have and the finish is glowy yet not shimmery. Same for my bronzers, I only use matte and again, more of a glow when you put some of this stuff on your brush first. I use it under my eye brows and above my lips where my skin is also dry. This also tones down too pigmented/too bright, blush. I'm 44 and I really appreciate when a product actually delivers

Edit, Sept 9, 2011, Okay I almost never edit my reviews, too many to edit, and usually my opinion remains unchanged. Well on this one product it changes, but only for the better. So here is what I've learned, yes the LM concealer looks best with this powder but any old concealer looks much, much better, cleaner, smoother, under eye area, using this over it. Even concealers I did not like before, are "fine," certainly decent, with this, and thats why you need to buy this, cause if you're like me you have a drawer full of broken promises that read, "concealer," on the packaging. I also brush this over my neck and decolletage area too. Hey why not have that area look as refreshed as my face?
Here is a great tip to even enhance this one better, I use Cliniques Pore Perfector primer OVER my concealer, but only in the dreaded tear trough area. I pat on a minute amount, let that set a moment, then PAT this powder over it and all my under eye concealer, spritz my face with water, and I have unlined, smooth, ceaseless, under eye skin all day. I have now learned pretty much ANY thicker, silicone type primer (think L'Oreal Studio Secrets too, not a more liquidy LM primer nor Hourglass, both lovely but not for this purpose), will fit the bill. Lightly pat with ring finger on either hand, just in that arc that deeps with age, over time. Again, let set a moment, pat the powder over, thank me for looking younger than your friends lol. I accidentally spilled some and needed more so ran to Sephora when I normally order from the LM site (you get better samples than at Sephora in my opinion) but could not wait and ran to get some. I have also finally tried Glamoflauge which is supposed to be a dupe or at least do the very same thing. It is lovely and has its place however, in no way can it replace this powder. It simply does not do the same thing this powder does.

on 11/20/2010 2:07:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I think the people who rate this poorly just aren't using it right. This is not a stand alone concealer. This is a finely milled powder to set your undereye concealer WITH. If you have lines, using a regular powder will not be pretty. This definitely brightens up the area as well. I've had no problems with the lid coming off, packaging is perfect. I use it with a smallish fluffy UD brush I got with a palette of theirs with great results. I have super dark circles and with BB correcter, Lancome Effecernes, and this, I don't look like I've been pulling all nighters for a month. :) Oh, and anyone complaining about the price -- this stuff lasts a LONG time. It's a bargain. I don't really get people who review stuff poorly because of price... you knew what it cost when you bought it. To say it works but is too expensive? Not helpful!

In short -- it works and is well worth the price. :)

I've been using this product for about a year and half .. i must say it deserves HG status for me. Being a makeup artist, i use this only as highlighter, especially under my eyes. A very little amount of product goes a long way. It may not appear much when you look at the mirror, but once you take a picture - your eyes really pop out! if you apply too much product, in the picture, you will appear to have a stripe of white under your eyes. I use Cle de Peau concealer or Bobbi Brown concealer pot, then afterwards, use LM Secret brightening powder on top of it to seal and highlight it.

I guess you will really appreciate this product when you see your face in pictures. For normal day use, you will appreciate how even the creamiest undereye concealers stay all day long. LM brightening powder is also a must have if you tend to do the smoky eye look or any dark eye look. It cleans up the whole undereye area.

I've been using this practically every single day for almost 2 years and i'm still using 1 pot!

on 12/7/2012 4:17:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I was looking for a under-eye setting powder for a while. I was using plain MAC MSFN dusted on with a fluffy brush prior to finding this and always wondered why my under-eye would always crease or why my liner from the waterline migrated nearly on my cheeks. And when I discovered the Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder, I knew it was going to be a staple.

The powder comes in a regular jar like most Laura Merceir products do, but smaller. It has a sifter so it can get messy. The powder itself is very finely milled, very similar to HD powders which makes it perfect for dusting on top of concealer without it settling into lines. The powder contains very fine shimmer but this doesn't translate onto the skin at all. The way I apply it is this: shake the jar so some powder gets on the cap. My favorite brush to use for setting under eye concealer is the Real Techniques Setting Brush. I take the brush and swirl it into the cap and work it into the brush before gliding it under the eyes. It makes my concealer last all day, prevents migrating of makeup and eye liner and best of all it stays matte so any hollows/puffiness doesn't become more prominent. And it photographs wonderfully, too. This is a must and I keep this on my vanity tray because I want it accessible at all times. Truly a HG and one jar will last you a lifetime. You need such a tiny amount and a little goes a LONG way.

A little tip: DONT PEEL OFF THE STICKER! Just peel off enough for 3-4 holes and give it a shake. The powder will coat the sticker and it'll become a flap. So all you have to do is give the jar a shake and the powder gets spread thinly on the cap. That is all you need! And the flap prevents too much powder from coming out as well as not getting messy.

Another tip: get the Real Techniques Setting Brush to use with this.

on 7/19/2008 6:24:00 PM

A knowledgeable Laura Mercier SA told me I was making myself look older by using ordinary loose powder to set my concealer and act as a primer for shadow. She tried this on me, along with LM's Eye Basics in Bisque as a primer on the lid. Together, the two products make a subtle, but noticeable difference. After applying the Eye Basics (lid only) and my concealer (Cle de Peau Ivory) under my eye, I use the LM Camouflage Powder Brush to grind a bit of the SBP in the jar lid, then dust it under the eye, on the lid, and in the interior corners. It creates a finished look that's natural, not chalky. My shadow stays put all day, my concealer doesn't crease, and I look a little younger. I think it's the duo that creates the look.

on 12/6/2013 2:36:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have to say this is a great product if you are under 40. I've used this for years. Always thought I liked it. Helped cover my dark circles and set my under eye makeup. But after a few hours I always think when I look in the mirror that my eyes look more dry, wrinkly and crinkly. So I thought I would try not using this anymore and just use a setting spray. Oh My God!! What a difference! I look like I don't even have under eye wrinkles anymore. It emphasizes wrinkles at any age. I know make artist say to put powder under your eyes to set the makeup, but it's a huge mistake. I look 10 years younger since I stopped using this product. Maybe if you are in your 20's this would be good, but otherwise be careful, if you want to look to look younger. Setting sprays are the best!!!!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

This is a brightening powder made to set your under eye concealer.
****PROS****
1. This powder sets your under eye concealer and keeps it on all day
2. A little of this powder goes a VERY long way. Just get a tiny bit on your brush, tap off any access and then apply. Use less than you think you'll need.
3. It does brighten your under eye area. If your concealer is a little too dark, this will lighten it a little and make it brighter
4. This powder doesn't set in to fine lines, dry or cake as much as every other (refer to cons below)
5. Is pretty reasonably priced considering it will lst you a long time!
6. The little jar is handy for traveling and storing
7. Comes in 2 shades; 1 and 2. I have #1 (I am NC15)
8. One reason I like to use this powder, is to stop my mascara from transfering on to my under eye area. Whenever I put concealer on under my eyes, and then put mascara on, the mascara always leaves black smudges under my eyes (because the oils and moisture in my concealer causes the mascara to smudge). This Laura Mercier Powder stops my mascara from transferring on to my under eye are (not just this powder, any powder will do the trick).
****CONS****
1. Now, this is still a powder. Even though I said that this 'doesn't set in to fine lines, dry or cake as much as every other powder does', it still does do those things! It's a powder! What is a powder supposed to do, if you think about it? Absorb access oils and moisture, etc. This is still a powder. So it will absorb access moisture under your eye, causing it to dry and crease. Less than other powders, but still. If you think about it, all anti-aging foundations or foundations for mature skin are moisturizing and dewy instead of being drying and oil absorbing, because wrinkles and fine lines are less visible when the skin is moisturized and hydrated rather than dry. So the drier the skin (and any powder including this one will make your skin drier), the more your fine lines will be visible. When I just put this powder on, it looks flawless and creaseless and amazing. As the day goes on, it does crease and dry my under eye area out (I know because I tested this stuff out under one eye but not under the other). This doesn't crease as much because it contains silica I think (which helps it not crease)
2. You can see little shimmer particles in the powder. Some people say that the shimmer in this powder is so finely milled that you can't see the shimmer particles, but you definitely can. If you look closely, under sunlight after you apply this powder, you can see little shimmers. So it's not just a glow, it's shimmer (I would prefer more of just the glow rather than the shimmer particles)
3. This powder is white and contains silica, so be careful not to apply too much under your eyes or it will flash back white (like the makeup forever HD powder, just not as extreme as that one). Only use a tiny bit of this powder!
****APPLICATION TIPS****
1. I use the brush that Laura Mercier recommends for this (the camouflage powder brush or something). It looks like a mini foundation brush. It's the perfect size and shape for your under eye area
2. Apply this powder RIGHT AFTER you apply your under eye concealer. Do not do the rest of your face/eyes first, put on your under eye concealer, smooth out any fine lines that are visible (I do this with the beauty blender), and pat this powder on. I find if I wait to put this powder on, my under eye area is much drier looking than if I put this on straight away
3. While the jar is closed, turn the Jar upside down once (so that powder goes on to the lid). Then turn it the right way, and tap the lid (so that access powder falls back in to the main jar.
4. With your brush (and I do recommend a brush for this), get a tiny bit of powder from the lid (so that you don't get too much).
5. Then tap off any access powder (just tap your brush against the lid a couple of times so that the access powder falls back in to the lid). This will ensure that you don't use too much powder.
6. This is optional, but I also like to pat the brush with the side of the powder a couple of times on the back of my hand (to further get rid of any access powder)
7. When applying this powder, PAT it on. Do not sweep or blend.
8. Start applying it in the area where you have the least amount of fine lines/wrinkles. I recommend starting on the outer corner of your under eye area (part near your temples) You want to apply the least amount of product near your inner corners and around that part of your eye as you want that to be as non cakey and non dry as possible. (when someone looks in to your eyes, they will see the inner part of your eye more than the outer). So start applying on the outer corner and work your way to the inner corners
This gives the best result for me(and I have tried a lot of ways)
****BOTTOM LINE****
I still gave this powder 4 stars because it works better than any other powder I have ever used under my eyes (I have tried loose powder, translucent powder, pressed powders, powder foundations etc.)Everything looks FAR, FAR worse under my eyes than this does. I'm not stupid, I realize that this is a powder, and despite being made for under your eyes and despite being brightening, it will still do what powders were invented to do. So as far as a powder goes, this does deserve 4 stars in terms of being a great under eye powder! I don't use this stuff too often because I use a waterproof concealer under my eyes, so I don't necessarily need my under eye concealer to last longer. I probably would re-purchase it, just because if I ever switch concealers or need to use a powder under my eyes (maybe if I don't use such a long wearing concealer), this is the only powder I will ever turn to. I recommend it to anyone who has troubles with their concealer lasting. I think it would work better for people with oily skin rather than dry skin though. If you need an under eye powder, try this. Just keep in mind th

on 9/10/2009 2:29:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

I'm a dark-skinned African-American, and I use the Secret Brightening Powder #2 interchangeably with LM's Transulcent Setting Powder. They are absolutely amazing for setting makeup and giving a subtle luminous glow to my skin.

The powder is incredibly finely milled, and soft as a kitten, so it glides smoothly over my face and never looks cakey. I much prefer using a translucent powder (like Secret Brightening) instead of a colored one, because I feel that the color builds up quickly on dark skin and begins to look unnatural. The Laura Mercier powders do the job perfectly without making me look like I have a face full of makeup.

The price is great, and the jar is the perfect size. I think I've repurchased this 5 or 6 times, since I use it all over my face. Best powder I've ever used.