Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder

LM secret brightening powder / undercover duoLaura Mercier Secret Brightener #2

4.1

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I am mid-40s with crepey undereyes and severe hereditary dark circles that are exacerbated by bad sleep and anemia. I have tried every concealer known to (wo)mankind with no success. I have been told that the only thing that can fix my circles is injectibles but I am chicken because I've heard the bruising in that area can be awful. Oh and also: it costs $1200 USD for the magical undereye injectibles at my derm's office. Which brings me to this powder - my last-ditch attempt to improve the appearance of undereyes that are aging me by 10 years. The only positive I can say about this product is that it is extremely finely milled and contains no obvious sparkles so it does feel high-end. The list of cons is much longer:
- This is not cheap and comes in a teeny little pot. You get almost no product for around $30 USD
- I expected this to brighten my purple circles because Secret BRIGHTENING Powder. This brightens nothing. It mattifies, like any other translucent powder. Nothing secret about that.
- I tried this several different ways - on top of just primer, on top of three different concealers, on top of foundation only, by itself - and it collected in fine lines and highlighted wrinkles like nobody's business.

In a nutshell, this costs a small fortune and rather than diffusing the purple circles, it just made the lines worse. After five failed attempts, I gave up and returned it. Back to considering injectibles.....

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I love this stuff! Who knew there was a powder to put over the concealer? I've been using a heavier concealer for the past year (oh, getting older....). This made any mascara or under-eye makeup run and disappear. I bought this online on a whim, and was pleasantly surprised that not only did it not crease, it looked very natural and I could again wear eyeliner and mascara. Great product!

on 1/21/2015 1:48:00 PM

I bought this for my under eye area. I didn't remove the sticker, just stuck a pin through a couple of the holes to prevent all of the product from spilling out. I use this every day, but mostly because I have it, not because it does anything great for me. It is very shimmery, but thank goodness that isn't obvious with the naked eye. I don't really see any brightening effect, and it cakes and creases as much as any other powder would.

This is definitely a must-have IMO. I have been using this powder for setting my under eye concealer for about 3 months now and will not need to try out anything else. This powder is magic, it sets concealer so well I don't have to correct anything during the day in fact it keeps concealer in place until I remove make-up late in the evening. This prevents concealer from emphasizing fine lines and wrinkles (you didn't even know you had, lol). It does the job brilliantly, exactly like it claims it would!

on 12/6/2013 2:36:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have to say this is a great product if you are under 40. I've used this for years. Always thought I liked it. Helped cover my dark circles and set my under eye makeup. But after a few hours I always think when I look in the mirror that my eyes look more dry, wrinkly and crinkly. So I thought I would try not using this anymore and just use a setting spray. Oh My God!! What a difference! I look like I don't even have under eye wrinkles anymore. It emphasizes wrinkles at any age. I know make artist say to put powder under your eyes to set the makeup, but it's a huge mistake. I look 10 years younger since I stopped using this product. Maybe if you are in your 20's this would be good, but otherwise be careful, if you want to look to look younger. Setting sprays are the best!!!!

WOW, this is what I have been looking for to set my Bobbi Brown corrector !!! Previous to using secret brightening powder I was using BB loose powder & always ended up with concealer looking cakey, settling into lines & yellow looking. Well not with this beauty - I only wish I had not waited so long. I think the key is to use tiny amounts & add more if you need to. Will be buying some for my Mum !

on 12/30/2012 4:02:00 PM

Hair: Red, Other, Medium

I can see how this might be an awesome product if you don't have super fair skin. But, I do.
I've been using it after I'm done with my foundation and concealer, to set my under eye concealer and brighten that area. It works great for setting, but doesn't brighten at all, which I guess is because my skin is already so white.
SO, if you're pale I wouldn't recommend it...you can use a regular, less expensive powder to set your concealer. If you have olive or darker skin, this might be great for you.
If you're pale and you just love playing around with a million products, have at it. It works very well as an under eye powder. My concealer lasts longer than without it, and my mascara doesn't migrate to below my eye.However, I won't be repurchasing since I'm pretty sure I can get the same results with the MAC powder I use on the rest of my face.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Amazing. It should make wrinkles look more prominent, but it doesn't! And what a dif in how long my concealer lasts on, at least three times as long. This is a gem, if you have serious problems with dark undereyes, invest in this.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I was very eager to try a sample of this product. The name alone is something to encourage the feeling that it really will do something "magical". At Sephora, I got a sample of this in the more yellow-toned shade, hoping it would work well to make my under-eye circles disappear. Sadly, I was really disappointed - the first time a Laura Mercier product has let me down. There's nothing either "secret" or "brightening" about this powder. I tried it as a concealer and it achieved nothing. I tried it over a more traditional concealer and it didn't do a thing to enhance the effectiveness of the concealer. I do use it now to "set" my under eye concealer and it works okay for that but then so does just about any other face powder. I think I will try this in the white shade (I'll get a sample again) but I would not repurchase this product. I've found Bare Escentuals Well Rested powder "concealer" to be far more effective when I use it to set my concealer - it actually adds a degree of "concealing" to that area.

Okay, I am recanting my initial review, changing my "no" to a "yes" on repurchase and upping the lippies for "overall" but knocking off for the dreadful packaging on the full sized jar. And I would repurchase and already have. The reason I've changed my opinion is that while I have several loose setting powders that I use to set my face, if I'm wearing foundation and also my under-eye area to set concealer (which I wear almost every day). What I've found is that some of the setting powders actually seem to suck out the moisture from my under-eye area, leaving some concealers and my under eye area looking drawn and dreadfully dry. Perhaps it is my imagination but this doesn't seem to happen with Secret Brightening Powder (the white one) so as much as it sort of galls me, I did buy the full size of this after my sample (which lasted for an insanely long time) was kaput. And that brings me to the packaging - AWFUL!!!! Why can't this be made with a close-able sifter, like her Mineral Powder Foundation or so many other loose powder products? Once you peel off the sticker covering the holes, you're pretty much screwed with regard to taking this anywhere. I transfer a small amount to an empty MAC sample jar using a small spatula - you can't actually "pour" this into a smaller container because it will go all over the place.

on 1/25/2012 3:14:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

Oh! I just don't get it! Can't make it work for me. I bought it after having a make over by the consultant at Myers. I wanted the setting powder, but she chose this for me instead. I can't see the difference. Also make me get black heads if I try to wear it too many days in a row (which I did to see if it did make any difference). I won't dispose of it quite yet..... Maybe I will have some kind of break through with it.