Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder

Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder
LM secret brightening powder / undercover duoLaura Mercier Secret Brightener #2

4.2

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hey, did you know Sonia Kashuk's Brightening Powder is almost identical to this? It runs around $10.00.

Mercier Secret Brightening Powder:
Talc, Silica, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone, Ethylene/Methacrylate Copolymer, Zeolite, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Sorbic Acid, Methylparaben Phenoxyethanol, Propylparaben Tetrasodium EDTA, Butylparaben, Orchis Maculata Flower Extract, BHT. +/- [May Contain]: MICA (CI 77019), Titanium dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Ferric Ferrocyanide (CI 77510), Carmine (CI 75470), Ultramarines (CI 77007), Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Red 6 (CI 15850), Red 30 (CI 73360), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Yellow 6 Lake (CI 15985).

Sonia Kashuk Brightening Powder:
Talc, Silica, Dimethicone, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Zeolite, Methylparaben, Sorbic Acid, Ethylene/Methacrylate Copolymer, Laureth-4, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Tetrasodium EDTA, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Zea Mays (Corn) Oil, Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Ethylparaben, Orchis Mascula Flower Extract, Disodium Cocoyl Glutamate, BHT, Sodium Cocoyl Glutamate. May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Manganese Violet, Carmine, Ultramarines, Ferric Ferrocyanide, Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide, Bismuth Oxychloride, Red 6, Red 7 Lake, Yellow 5 Lake, Red 30 Lake, Yellow 6 Lake, Blue 1 Lake.

E.L.F. HD Undereye Powder:
Talc, Mica, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone, Crosspolymer, Silica, Magnesium Staerate Dimethicone, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Ascorbyl Palmitate (VC), Phytonadione (VK). May Contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Mica (CI 77019), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Yellow No.5 Lake (CI 19140), Red No.40 Lake (CI 16035), Ultramarine Violet (CI 77007), Blue No.1 Lake (CI 42090)

on 11/20/2010 2:07:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I think the people who rate this poorly just aren't using it right. This is not a stand alone concealer. This is a finely milled powder to set your undereye concealer WITH. If you have lines, using a regular powder will not be pretty. This definitely brightens up the area as well. I've had no problems with the lid coming off, packaging is perfect. I use it with a smallish fluffy UD brush I got with a palette of theirs with great results. I have super dark circles and with BB correcter, Lancome Effecernes, and this, I don't look like I've been pulling all nighters for a month. :) Oh, and anyone complaining about the price -- this stuff lasts a LONG time. It's a bargain. I don't really get people who review stuff poorly because of price... you knew what it cost when you bought it. To say it works but is too expensive? Not helpful!

In short -- it works and is well worth the price. :)

on 9/10/2009 2:29:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

I'm a dark-skinned African-American, and I use the Secret Brightening Powder #2 interchangeably with LM's Transulcent Setting Powder. They are absolutely amazing for setting makeup and giving a subtle luminous glow to my skin.

The powder is incredibly finely milled, and soft as a kitten, so it glides smoothly over my face and never looks cakey. I much prefer using a translucent powder (like Secret Brightening) instead of a colored one, because I feel that the color builds up quickly on dark skin and begins to look unnatural. The Laura Mercier powders do the job perfectly without making me look like I have a face full of makeup.

The price is great, and the jar is the perfect size. I think I've repurchased this 5 or 6 times, since I use it all over my face. Best powder I've ever used.

on 10/17/2016 10:32:00 AM

I gave into the hype and bought this. I'm a high end cosmetics addict and bought most of the products that were hyped in the last 5 years, like the Cle de Peau concealer, dipbrow from ABH, fix plus, you name it. The thing with these hyped products is that there's no guarantee. Some are great like the hoola bronzer or Becca highlighters, some suck like the YSL Touche Eclat blur perfector and some are 'whatever', like the Cle de Peau concealer(the $ though!). This powder is in the 'whatever' category. It doesn't illuminate anything. It's simply not super mattifying and it has a slight white cast. I don't call that illuminating. I'm NC20, so the white cast doesn't look very stark on me, but if you have medium to dark skin, I would imagine it would look weird. I don't like the powder I use under my eyes to be white, because I use a salmon concealer and this is defeating the purpose of using a salmon color, since after i use the powder on top of it, it looks white-ish. Also, my concealer still creases and my eye area looks dry. There's nothing at all special about this powder, first ingredient is talc anyway. Absolutely nothing. You can replace it with any loose powder, especially if it has a bit of reflective propreties. I personally use a peach coloured powder from Givenchy that's very finely milled and keeps my concealer color salmony and it works great. I'll try to use this on my face instead, so it's not totally wasted.

I bought this to complement the secret concealer by LM. This definitely helps set the concealer, brightening up the dull under eye area and keeps my eyeliner from smudging. But it is pricy for the amount you get... and the packaging is not travel friendly. As for the application, here is my trick. Turn the jar upside down once, tap the lid to let the powder fall back into the jar. Open the lid, there will be a thin layer of powder remain on the lid, that's what you need for an application. I usually just use my figure for fast application. Press the figure on the jar lid to get the powder, then wipe the figure a few times on the back of the hand to remove the extra amount. Gently press the powder onto the undereye area, starting from the location with fewer fine lines, in my case the outer corner of the eyes. This will prevent you caking too much powder into the fine lines.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I just bought my 3rd one of the #2 powder. I don't think I can use anything else to set my under eye concealer. The sifter is tricky because it dispenses a whole lot of product when you only need a teeny bit. To apply, I use a fluffy brush to pat it on and then sweep off any excess to avoid it from settling in my fine lines.
It definitely does brighten the eye area and doesn't flash back stark white in photos. The price is fair because one jar will last for about a year with everyday use. Totally worth it, IMO.

on 6/24/2010 12:49:00 AM

I have this powder in #2. It is very light cream shade of powder with tiny sparkles in it. This was the shade recommended to me as I have warm toned skin (MAC C4/C5). The powder is very finely milled, too fine to really stop any smudging of mascara you might get if you use under your brows. Did it brighten my very dark circles? No, every time I use this powder it somehow manages to make my dark circles look even darker than how they appeared before I applied my concealer and my undereye area appears to look more sunken than when I use normal face powder on top. I think it must be because the shade of the powder is just too insepid for my colouring which has a fair amount of yellow in it anyway. I'm not sure if I'm right about this but my hunch is if you are someone who suits a white shirt more than an ivory one (try it, one will lift your face much more) then it could be that no #1 is better for you. If it then makes the undereye area look too light, you can always go over it with a very light dusting of bronzing powder.
P.S: Don't apply this between the lower eyelid and the orbital bone, it looks strange in the middle of the summer - I tried it and I did.

on 2/18/2011 6:32:00 PM

At first I used this product and it just didn't work for me ... but now I found out how to use it and it is part of my daily routine. My tip: first apply your usual concealer, then turn the pot around so that some powder falls into the lid. Turn the pot back its normal position and shake it gently so that all the powder in the lid falls back in the pot. The film of powder that stays in the lid is ALL you need.
Take a small but fluffy brush and sweep through lid. Apply under your eyes and - if you wish - on the lids.
I mainly use it to set my concealer and it works so much better in doing that than any other face powder (which cakes). As for the illuminating effect - I'm less impressed by that effect, but still it's a really nice and useful product. If you use this product correctly it lasts very very long.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Well I got seduced into buying this when I was in SpaceNK the other day - I was looking at the No1 (white version) as I am ghostly pale but the SA convinced me to try the No2 which is advertised as being for darker skin tones. Her reasoning is that the No2 looks much more natural than the white which can look lodd under some lights and weirdly on skin as pale as mine give you reverse panda eyes as you have little natural skin colour to counter the whiteness - she advised sticking to the No.2 except for evenings. So decided to give it a whirl. The No.2 shade is still VERY pale - like a slightly off white. She used this over the Secret Concealor and Secret Light pen (reviewed those seperately)- worked really well!!! (Am still lemming the white version though!!)
Not a miracle product but does make a big difference - didn't notice till did one eye and not the other.
Will definitely buy again just not sure what shade.Have taken off one lippy for the price!!

on 10/15/2008 10:42:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

The fab makeup artist @ Sephora Aventura- totally did me over, Using products I'd never even dreamt of using much less heard of.
When I left he gave me a few samples as I ended up spending over $100.
One of these samples was a fine powder that he put in a small jar, that sample lasted at least 5 months!!, so having no idea what it was I searched the Sephora website and concluded it was this miracle powder, Sent hubby in to purchase it and I'm in love - Again. I have puffy under eyes( or maybe they are just hollow) Anyway, I use Touche Eclat #4 (YSL) And then set it with this silica powder- the difference is immediate my eyes are radiant -Sometimes i use it on its own over foundation- and now when I take photos I dont look like the girl with the puffy/dark undereyes. I'm black - milk choc complexion and use #2.
I Highly highly recommend applying with a small fan brush- I purchased mine at the airport but am sure you can buy @ sephora too.
I couldn't love it more and it lasts For-Ev- Er!!!