Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder

LM secret brightening powder / undercover duoLaura Mercier Secret Brightener #2

3.2

on 5/4/2017 12:18:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Holy grail alert. I have very oily skin and very dark under eye circles. I have tried so many setting powders for my under eyes before but it was always the same, it looks cakey and my concealer would crease no matter how thin the layer of powder is.

Recently I have attended a Laura Mercier makeup workshop in my area so new products were introduced as well as the good old trusted Laura products. I decided to buy this. I am glad I did. This changed my life. My concealer did not crease, didn't look cakey or thick at all. I use a bigger and loose eyeshadow brush in setting it, not the dense one cos I think it would put a white cast and can be patchy.

My undereyes look brighter and smooth. Though this can be quite expensive but you only need a very little amount for each use so I guess this will last for years. I definitely recommend this. I am loving it very very much!!!

on 10/17/2016 10:32:00 AM

I gave into the hype and bought this. I'm a high end cosmetics addict and bought most of the products that were hyped in the last 5 years, like the Cle de Peau concealer, dipbrow from ABH, fix plus, you name it. The thing with these hyped products is that there's no guarantee. Some are great like the hoola bronzer or Becca highlighters, some suck like the YSL Touche Eclat blur perfector and some are 'whatever', like the Cle de Peau concealer(the $ though!). This powder is in the 'whatever' category. It doesn't illuminate anything. It's simply not super mattifying and it has a slight white cast. I don't call that illuminating. I'm NC20, so the white cast doesn't look very stark on me, but if you have medium to dark skin, I would imagine it would look weird. I don't like the powder I use under my eyes to be white, because I use a salmon concealer and this is defeating the purpose of using a salmon color, since after i use the powder on top of it, it looks white-ish. Also, my concealer still creases and my eye area looks dry. There's nothing at all special about this powder, first ingredient is talc anyway. Absolutely nothing. You can replace it with any loose powder, especially if it has a bit of reflective propreties. I personally use a peach coloured powder from Givenchy that's very finely milled and keeps my concealer color salmony and it works great. I'll try to use this on my face instead, so it's not totally wasted.

on 1/5/2015 10:23:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

I bought this with a voucher I had for Christmas as I fancied something to set my under eye concealer with. Utter disappointment. I may as well use baby powder on my face. I used it sparingly and it instantly settled into my makeup and fine lines- I'm only 30 and don't have many!
It's the only time my partner has said 'are you wearing foundation?' As he hates heavy make up, as do I. As it set into my make up it took away the 'dewy glow' I have from it too which emphasised my dark circles.

The pot it comes in is also isn't very nice. The only positive thing I could think of is that it would probably last you a while as you only need such a tiny bit.

Boo to my wasted voucher! :(

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

As a huge fan of the Laura Mercier mineral range I thought I'd love this as much as everyone else, but it doesn't do all that much for me. I use it to set my undereye concealer as the MUA recommended, but the finish isn't amazing at all. I love highlighters, but not glitter and I really notice the particles in this. Its a shame, I really wanted to love this after reading so many great reviews.

on 9/26/2011 5:24:00 PM

I don't know how this works but it does. After concealing my mild dark circles, a light sweep of this under my eyes with the Laura Mercier mini-fan brush just brightens up the face. I use the #2 as I am a NC30/C4 light tan Asian gal. For the rest of my face (usually just T-zone) I dust with her Invisible Setting Powder or my MUFE HD Powder. But for under the eyes? I ONLY use this Brightening Powder. I am a believer; it really makes a difference and makes me look awake and vibrant!

on 12/22/2010 5:47:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I don't know if I don't get it or if this just don't suit me...? If I put it lightly over my face or cheekbones I look sparkling/glittery...and if i put it around my eyes/under eyes it does not hide more than a light concealer + shadow.... I don't know if I use it in the wrong way, but this is nothing special....

Beside all this I don't like glitter in my face cause it easely looks "too much" on acne-prone skin... I "light reflecting" concealer is something else, but this contains glitter/sparkle...

The price is also very high.

So until I really learn how to use this or if it suits me, i won't repurchase...

on 6/24/2010 12:49:00 AM

I have this powder in #2. It is very light cream shade of powder with tiny sparkles in it. This was the shade recommended to me as I have warm toned skin (MAC C4/C5). The powder is very finely milled, too fine to really stop any smudging of mascara you might get if you use under your brows. Did it brighten my very dark circles? No, every time I use this powder it somehow manages to make my dark circles look even darker than how they appeared before I applied my concealer and my undereye area appears to look more sunken than when I use normal face powder on top. I think it must be because the shade of the powder is just too insepid for my colouring which has a fair amount of yellow in it anyway. I'm not sure if I'm right about this but my hunch is if you are someone who suits a white shirt more than an ivory one (try it, one will lift your face much more) then it could be that no #1 is better for you. If it then makes the undereye area look too light, you can always go over it with a very light dusting of bronzing powder.
P.S: Don't apply this between the lower eyelid and the orbital bone, it looks strange in the middle of the summer - I tried it and I did.

on 11/19/2007 3:59:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

It's not often that I'll be so excited about a product that I'll review after only using a few times, but this product has made such a difference to my appearance I just had to share. I've had dark circles my whole life and although I have found products to help hide them, they're always noticeable. I had despaired of ever being rid of them. Until I tried this stuff. For the first time in my life I have no dark circles! Hallelujah! I just put the tiniest bit on with a fluffly blush, and hey presto, the shadows are banished. I was a bit reticent to put a powder under my eyes, but when its on, it doesn't look like I have powder on at all and it doesn't settle into fine lines. I also use a bit around the side of my nose to smooth out the skin tone (although it can give me a sneezing fit). My only regret is that I didn't discover this earlier. I'm fair and use the #1 shade. It looks startlingly white in the pot, but it blends beautifully when its on.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Well I got seduced into buying this when I was in SpaceNK the other day - I was looking at the No1 (white version) as I am ghostly pale but the SA convinced me to try the No2 which is advertised as being for darker skin tones. Her reasoning is that the No2 looks much more natural than the white which can look lodd under some lights and weirdly on skin as pale as mine give you reverse panda eyes as you have little natural skin colour to counter the whiteness - she advised sticking to the No.2 except for evenings. So decided to give it a whirl. The No.2 shade is still VERY pale - like a slightly off white. She used this over the Secret Concealor and Secret Light pen (reviewed those seperately)- worked really well!!! (Am still lemming the white version though!!)
Not a miracle product but does make a big difference - didn't notice till did one eye and not the other.
Will definitely buy again just not sure what shade.Have taken off one lippy for the price!!