Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder

Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder
LM secret brightening powder / undercover duoLaura Mercier Secret Brightener #2

4.2

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I'm somewhat indifferent to the full face version of this but this under eye powder is simply the best thing to happen to my eyes!!! I have extremely bad under eye circles and have used every recommended corrector, concealer, potion, and powder from ludicrously high end to high street and this is without doubt the best. A tiny amount of product covers even my worst dark circles, never looks caked, and never creases. Yes, it is expensive for an under eye powder given so many come in kits already, but nothing compares to this! The only drawback is that so much comes out from one tap of the lid; but given this isn't something to carry on the go and the lid is so secure it's not really an issue. An instant Holy Grail product I already worry what I will do if they EVER discontinue this!

on 5/4/2017 12:18:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Holy grail alert. I have very oily skin and very dark under eye circles. I have tried so many setting powders for my under eyes before but it was always the same, it looks cakey and my concealer would crease no matter how thin the layer of powder is.

Recently I have attended a Laura Mercier makeup workshop in my area so new products were introduced as well as the good old trusted Laura products. I decided to buy this. I am glad I did. This changed my life. My concealer did not crease, didn't look cakey or thick at all. I use a bigger and loose eyeshadow brush in setting it, not the dense one cos I think it would put a white cast and can be patchy.

My undereyes look brighter and smooth. Though this can be quite expensive but you only need a very little amount for each use so I guess this will last for years. I definitely recommend this. I am loving it very very much!!!

on 10/30/2016 5:28:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This is my HG powder for setting undereye concealer. Perfect for anyone with very deep set eyes (and undereye area).

Pros: Finely milled, super brightening and has amazing light reflective particles that make your undereye area look fresh and flawless. Because it is so brightening it's perfect to optically bring forward any areas that are sunken in. It's pricey and the jar is small but, because you need very little product per use, will last you for ever (for me it's been over 6 months). Once your concealer is set with this, you can literally sleep in it and when you wake up your undereyes will still be flawless (shame to admit, but I've been there and done that).

Cons: I can't honestly think of any other than you just need to know how to use it. It is super brightening so if you use it on its own or you don't colour correct or conceal the darkness first, it will just make you look ashy. It has simply not been designed to be used that way. You may also find that unless you have very deep set eyes where the undereye area is a bit sunken in and extreme dark circles (like I do), you may just not need this type of product at all.

on 10/17/2016 10:32:00 AM

I gave into the hype and bought this. I'm a high end cosmetics addict and bought most of the products that were hyped in the last 5 years, like the Cle de Peau concealer, dipbrow from ABH, fix plus, you name it. The thing with these hyped products is that there's no guarantee. Some are great like the hoola bronzer or Becca highlighters, some suck like the YSL Touche Eclat blur perfector and some are 'whatever', like the Cle de Peau concealer(the $ though!). This powder is in the 'whatever' category. It doesn't illuminate anything. It's simply not super mattifying and it has a slight white cast. I don't call that illuminating. I'm NC20, so the white cast doesn't look very stark on me, but if you have medium to dark skin, I would imagine it would look weird. I don't like the powder I use under my eyes to be white, because I use a salmon concealer and this is defeating the purpose of using a salmon color, since after i use the powder on top of it, it looks white-ish. Also, my concealer still creases and my eye area looks dry. There's nothing at all special about this powder, first ingredient is talc anyway. Absolutely nothing. You can replace it with any loose powder, especially if it has a bit of reflective propreties. I personally use a peach coloured powder from Givenchy that's very finely milled and keeps my concealer color salmony and it works great. I'll try to use this on my face instead, so it's not totally wasted.

on 9/11/2015 2:11:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Despite not really having a valid reason for needing this powder, I use it all the time. My skin is normal (N10), slightly dry on occasion (depending on weather and allergies), and I typically don't have issues with my concealer fading or moving around on my skin. But I love the effect this gives my undereye area. It adds a subtle luminosity and a soft glow without looking cakey or powdery. It's one of those products that I can easily remove from my routine, or replace with a more light reflecting concealer, but at the same time it's such a simple extra step with a lot of payoff so I can't see myself not using it.

I've had equally good results using this over all of my concealers, which I switch around depending on my mood. Currently I use Cle de Peau concealer in Ivory, Clinique Airbrush Concealer in Fair, and Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer in Chantilly. For liquid concealers I make sure to let them set for a minute or two first before applying the powder. It's so lightweight and silky, extremely sheer, and thin so it doesn't look heavy at all. I use a synthetic fluffy brush to apply so it isn't packed on. The shimmer is subtle but if used heavily it does look more obvious. The powder itself is on the luminous side too, so it may be too much of an effect for those who like a matte quality in their makeup.

I haven't used this anywhere other than my undereye area, so the small size isn't an issue. I've had mine for about five months and it doesn't look like I've used much at all yet. But I think depending on how/where you use this will determine how fast you use up the jar. I think a similar effect can be achieved by other products, and any loose powder will probably do just as fine a job setting makeup, but I do like this and will keep purchasing. I'm a huge fan of light reflecting/glowy makeup and so this is right up my alley. Plus I like that it doesn't irritate my sensitive skin.

on 1/5/2015 10:23:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

I bought this with a voucher I had for Christmas as I fancied something to set my under eye concealer with. Utter disappointment. I may as well use baby powder on my face. I used it sparingly and it instantly settled into my makeup and fine lines- I'm only 30 and don't have many!
It's the only time my partner has said 'are you wearing foundation?' As he hates heavy make up, as do I. As it set into my make up it took away the 'dewy glow' I have from it too which emphasised my dark circles.

The pot it comes in is also isn't very nice. The only positive thing I could think of is that it would probably last you a while as you only need such a tiny bit.

Boo to my wasted voucher! :(

on 12/19/2014 9:13:00 AM

This is some good stuff! I was using elf's HD under eye concealer. When I was looking for a new concealer I was interested in Laura Merciers Secret Camouflage which, I love so when I was reading about that I came across this powder. I ordered it right away as I get bluing because I'm so pale in the corner of my eyes. It makes me look like I have insomnia which I kinda do. So I though using this with the concealer only in the corners of my eye might help. Well this powder is amazing! I sweep this with a fluffy concealer brush under and in the corners of my eye. It makes my eyes look so alive! The sparkle actually is kinda not a sparkle because it's used to reflect the light. So the shimmer isn't a deal breaker it's what helps make this product.

I also had a red spot under my eye and with a touch of cover up and this powder and it's gone! I also like how my eye makeup does not move with this. I don't get the mascara panda either. It just makes my under eye area look awake and fresh nothing crazy. It's really amazing how it reflects light to give that well rested appearance which I need sometimes. I also use it just to set my foundation under my eyes and keep my eye liner in place. It's pricy but for me it's plenty for the price and will last forever in my case. I'm an NW20, NARS Monte Blanc, green eyes, blonde hair for reference. I'm the number 1 shade in this and I really like what it does. Instant sleep and no discoloration I'll take it. Recommended!

on 8/12/2014 5:17:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

It took me two months to finally find this product in stock on sephora. When I got it, I opened it up to find that it had a white sticker on top to avoid the powder from falling out during shipping. While I was removing the sticker, the top part of the stiffer came unloose and powder went flying everywhere. I didn't lose a lot of powder, nonetheless I was not happy. That part should be more tighten down due to the fact that one has to pull the sticker off the holes in order to allow the powder to come out.

This powder is very finely milled. It also very creamy if I dare say. I love applying it with my Blank Canvas Cosmetic F15 face brush. It picks up the powder nicely and distributes it evenly underneath my eye area with its pointed red bristle head.

This powder goes on smoothly and does not settle into the fine lines of your face or eye area. Some people said that it leaves you with a bit of a glitterly look underneath your eyes. I beg to differ. I don't recall seeing any glitter underneath my eyes. However what I did see was my dark under eye circles almost vanish. Normally I apply my Chanel Correcteur Perfection Long Lasting Concealer first and then my Guerlain foundation to hide my dark circles. After that I applied the LM brightening powder and was so shock to see how my under eye area no longer look dark and dreary. Instead it looked alive, with color and bright.

This powder does not leave behind a white cast. However since my skin color is very fair, I don't know how it would look on darker skin tones. Nonetheless LM makes this brighten powder a darker white side (if that makes sense) for those of darker skin tone. Its called LM Secret Brightening Powder II.

The only con I have with this is the size and prize. This powder cost $29 CDN and comes in a very very small container. Don't get me wrong, its not like you need a lot for your under eye area. However for $29 dollars, I expected a lot more in size. The only reason I bought this is because it came highly recommended and I figured I might as well give it a try.

I would highly recommend this powder be used to set your under eye concealer if you are looking for a more alive and bright look which will help to hide the dark circles that your concealer might not be able to fully do!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

As a huge fan of the Laura Mercier mineral range I thought I'd love this as much as everyone else, but it doesn't do all that much for me. I use it to set my undereye concealer as the MUA recommended, but the finish isn't amazing at all. I love highlighters, but not glitter and I really notice the particles in this. Its a shame, I really wanted to love this after reading so many great reviews.

on 8/4/2013 1:41:00 PM

I have this in number 2. It is meant for the under eyes... but I actually use it all over my face as a setting powder. Since the powder is very finely milled I don't look like a disco ball after (I've checked my face in sunlight). IMO, you don't need another setting powder if you have this product especially if you have dry skin. The packaging sucks. There is a sifter - but the container can get very messy; it is not travel friendly at all... since there are so many (less expensive) setting powders out there, I don't believe this is a necessary purchase.