Ormonde Jayne Frangipani Absolute

4.1

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I have never smelled frangipane, but I can believe this is exactly what it smells like. Absolutely not to my taste, absolutely beautiful. Quite good longevity. I can't speak to sillage as I apply such dainty amounts from testers that it in no way approximates how most wear it. If you like frangipane, try this.

Ormonde Jayne fragrances smell like department store fragrances should smell, and I mean this in the best possible way. Ormonde Jayne is definitely my favorite house in a draw with Serge Lutens. I think I prefer OJ for summer, and SL for winter. OJ fragrances are not unique or shocking (not even Ormonde Woman), you won't find rubber, pavement, manure or circus elephant among the notes. Some perfumistas might argue that they are not artistic or interesting enough, but art can take a lot of forms, and for me OJ fragrances are true pieces of art. The ones I've sampled are all extremely pleasant, balanced and beautiful. They don't really have a character, but they make you more confident, they make you feel yourself beautiful. They never wear you, you wear them. Frangipani is my favorite perfume for the summer, and as many others have done before me I also have to add that I usually hate white or tropical florals, and I hate citrus fragrances. However, this tropical floral blend with lime and linden blossom enchanted me and became a staple in my wardrobe. Frangipani is a fresh floral that smells alive. I know it's not all natural, but to my nose it smells extremely natural, just like the real flowers. It doesn't have any coconut, typical note of tropical fragrances, and one of my most hated ingredients in a perfume. Coconut gives a cheap, suntan lotion vibe to fragrances for me, and also makes them cloying. It's great that it's excluded here. The flowers are not loud, not sickeningly sweet as in a lot of cases in this genre. The result is a creamy, soft-speaking floral, with average staying power, just right for hot summer days.
A tip for those who would like better longevity: try spraying it on your clothes and in your hair. Either it clings to these better, or olfactory fatigue can be avoided, I don't know, but it works.

Either I had a lemon stuck up a nostril or this smells of killer-lemons or mutant limes. It was, metaphorically speaking, a gigantic lemon. If Godzilla and Mothra were warring limes...okay, I'll stop. I'm no comedian, so I'll get to the point. Chanticaille does a fine frangipani, reformulated or not. Trust me, I wanted to like every darned thing in Ormonde Jayne. Buuut...If our insect overlords from the Planet Insectoid invade, this is what resistance cells would use to gas-bomb their hives and suffocate their Queen. It's post-apocalyptic citronella. On steroids.
I don't like, want or need heavy citrus with my frangipani. That's about the size of it. This smells like surface cleaner. I didn't make it to the flowers.
There's a great episode of Deep Space Nine (In The Pale Moonlight) where Captain Sisko serves Senator Vreenek some replicated Romulan ale -- a blue drink from the Romulan home-world. (A replicator = computer that makes stuff out of thin-air. And no, I'm not ashamed to know this...). The Senator takes a sip and says, something to the effect of, "A fair approximation. Somewhat lacking in aroma. Real kalifal should forcibly open ones sinuses well before the first sip." The smug bastard.
If the Senator hadn't met an untimely end (spoilerama) I'd invite him over and pour him some Ormonde Jayne Frangipani. That'd open his sinuses up real good, the smart-arse.
Agent Starling should have used this instead of Vicks Vaporub when she was at the coroner's, checking out Jame Gumm's handiwork.
Whydja do it, Ormonde Jayne? Why?

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Grey, Straight, Medium

Best Frangipani I've ever smelled. True to life. I love the fresh lime opening!
The heart is creamy, waxy, damp and lush.

A real beauty

This was the first fragrance that I tried from my Sample box from Ormonde Jayne as I felt from reading the compostions that I would like this fragrance the most.
I will not lie, intially it was not love, but only because I expected something more tropical and more creamy, what I got in the initial spray was fruit, or limes to be precise, I am not a fruity kind of fragrance girl so I dismissed it and was ready to move onto the next sample, then I got a 'wow you smell good' from BF, which almost never happens, his comments usually in the line of you smell like an old lady to that smells like camel pee, when trying other samples, so when he said I smelt nice I decided to try again.
The second day that I tried the sample, I got the hit of limes again but it was a lovely sunny day so the limes were very befitting, this dried down to a gorgeous sparkling floral tempered with the hint of fruit but not overbearing. It is most definitely a sunny day perfume but the best bit is that no matter what, this perfume makes you smile.
This is second on my list of purchases from Ormonde Jayne, having being kocked off the top spot by Ormonde Woman.
The only bugbear that I have is that it does not last as long as I would like it to but that will not stop me from going ahead and ordering a bottle.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Lime, linden, frangipani and musk. Citrus is sometimes weird on my skin chemistry, and this lime is somehow a bit salty, spicy and musky. It's almost like frangipani, is an afterthought. There is something in the dry down that reminds me of a scratch and sniff entry in a book I had as a young child. Perhaps it's the cedar. Bizarre. I hesitate to say something called frangipani could be unisex, but I could almost see a man wearing this.. . . And perhaps I can persuade my husband to try. . . On second thought, probably not as it's still a bit too sweet and floral. For a frangipani lover, this is not too creamy or unctuous, so it could be nice for warmer weather.

Am developing a headache from this, but I still believe it is worth a try.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

This perfume is the proof that craftmanship and creativity can make anyone change their minds about a certain class of fragrances. The notes for this fragrance have been widely reviewed; it opens with lime and has strong tuberose component that gives it the creaminess everyone mentions.

Just so we are all clear, two of my favorite other fragrances are Bois d'Encens (Armani Prive) and Kyoto (Comme des Garcons) - all dryness and stone and incense and darkness. Frangipani is the opposite of these in every way. I avoid tuberoses; I abhor lime. I'm in love with this. Why does it all work? I've been to French Polynesia's remote atolls; with Frangipani, I can go back. This is perfectly balanced; not too much of anything at once and after 10 or 15 minutes the backbone cedar and vanilla and musk come through so instead of a creamy floral alone, you are left with the smells of a tropical island.

Stunning, wonderful. A top ten and the only white floral I own.

Delightful! This perfume opens with a heartlifting brightness, then dries down to a complex but completely beautiful floral. Quite often I get a whiff of chalk in the drydown too, as one might get in champagne. I do not find it fruity, and although it is sweet, it is not cloying as many other florals can be. Other reviews have already helpfully stated the fragrance notes, so please forgive this more subjective review: I don't like or own any other florals, but I love this joyful, spirited perfume. The price verges on the ridiculous, it has to be said. Note: This does not smell like a real frangipani, which is not necessarily a bad thing. I grew up with a frangipani tree and, to be honest, the scent became quite cloying after a while. The body lotion *does* smell like real frangipani, but not at all like this perfume.

The truest rendition of a fresh frangipani flower . I love this perfume. The lime top note really gives it that slight spice of a real frangipani flower. This is a long lasting ,well crafted fragrance. One of Ormonde Jayne's finest. Very good stuff.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Love the top notes. Adore the heart notes. And the dry down is simply divine!!

This scent is rich and lush without being too overwhelming and cloying. I have worn this for a whole week now (after purchasing the bottle online, unsniffed! =O) and sometimes i even spray it on before i go to bed.

I love Ormonde Jayne scents but this one especially makes me want to sniff my wrists constantly when I am wearing it.

Popular Fragrances