Shu Uemura Cleansing Beauty Oil Premium A/O

Shu Uemura Cleansing Beauty Oil Premium A/O

mineral oil, corn germ oil, polysorbate 85, safflower seed oil, cetyl ethylhexanoate, sorbitan trioleate, jojoba seed oil, sea water, squalane, glycerin, macadamia ternifolia seed oil, propylene glycol, tocopherol, limonene, hexyl cinnamal, benzyl salicylate, linalool, butylphenyl methylpropional, alpha-isomethyl ionone, C12-15 alkyl benzoate, dicaprylyl carbonate, isopropyl myristate, ethyl oleate, camellia sinensis leaf extract, parfum/fragrance

on 11/13/2017 7:31:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Gentle and softening cleansing oil that removes all my makeup.
This is a great cleansing oil- certainly one of the best ones of tried (and I've tried a lot!). I know it's mineral oil based, but it's been my experience that these type of cleansers tend to leave my skin softer afterwards compared with natural oil based ones.
Consistency is right down the middle- neither too thick nor too thin- which is just perfect for my purposes.

I use two pumps worth of product, massage it on my face for a minute or so and all trace of makeup is gone. This includes waterproof makeup, but no budge-proof eyeliners, so I cant comment on how well it goes against them.
It emulsifies well with water, rinsing clean with no stickiness. My skin is always very soft afterwards.
I always follow with another cleanser afterwards, so I cant comment on how well it would go used on it's own. Though I would guess it would actually be sufficient, if you didn't/couldn't use another cleanser afterwards.
It has a light and inoffensive fragrance, which disappears after use.

For reference, this does not irritate my skin or lead to breakouts. My skin is normal/dry and quite sensitive. Didn't notice any of the purported antioxidant benefits of this product for my skin.

I agree with other reviewers, that the price is pretty steep for what is: essentially, a bottle of mineral water + other (probably useless) ingredients + emulsifying agent. I really only tried it out because I'm a product junky and want to experiment with everything available- and this stuff has been around for ages and has lots of devotees.
So, I'd summarise that this is a fantastic, reliable oil cleanser which delivers more than most of its competitors. If your willingness to pay stretches to >$100AUD, then go for it. If you're hurting for the price, then look elsewhere- lots of similar products for a tenth of the cost out there (try Softymo oil cleanser).

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

My first rinse off cleansing oil.. I tried many cleansing oil from K-beauty & the last one is Biore, but keep back to green Shu.

Pros:
- remove my sunscreen beautifully in one pump (my bioderma can't handle sunscreen)
- remove layers of full coverage foundations (2 pumps)
- pleasant smell (for my nose) so I'm hapilly massaging my face & doing my night routine
- not causing breakouts (which happened to k-beauty & biore cleansing oil experiments)
- I don't need to swipe repeatedly and risk my face from irritation with cotton sheet to remove heavy makeup
- rinse off beautifully with lukewarm water (followed with gentle cleanser afterwards)

Cons:
- $$$$ PRICE (I've tried and experimenting with cheaper cleansing oil from k-beauty & biore with no luck)
- bad pumps (got one that is pretty hard to press, when I finally made it, the oil schmeared everywhere. I feel the oil got wasted for the price is pretty high for my budget)

Repurchase: Maybe. I found another cheap alternative from k-beauty brand but in balm type that not causing breakouts/irritating my skin 😊

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I really wanted to love this product due to its cult status and really pretty bottles. I've tried Shu Uemura oil cleansers 3x in my life: when I was 25, and my roommate introduced me to it, when I was 30, and I decided to give it another shot, and when I was 33 and I was ready to adopt oil cleansing into my daily routine.

I think my skin can't handle that it's almost completely mineral oil because I tried 3 different 'colors' of this cleanser (pink, yellow, and green). My skin will break out like crazy even if I do a 2nd wash afterwards-- it's just super pore clogging for me.

I LOVE oil cleansers now, but since different brands use different base oils, I would sample around to see what works best for you. If you want to try Shu, I recommend you buy a mini-size (travel size) oil from a duty-free shop.

on 5/14/2016 4:56:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

First ingredient is paraben. How could they do this?

on 1/17/2017 6:05:00 PM

Meh cleansing power ( I will stick to fancl for better cleansing power). Leaves an oily film , which is ok since I use cleansing gel after cleansing oil in any event.

Um, if must use shu, I will stick to the original, have more cleansing power than this.

The not too effective cleansing power is the killing point.

on 5/26/2017 10:14:00 PM

I have used up three of the large bottles of their cleansing oil already. I love how it is gentle and it feels like a treat on my face. Makeup simply melts off. I can't use other cleansing products on my face anymore. It doesn't feel the same, either too harsh or not luxurious enough. I see myself using this brand until I die.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Shu Uemura products aren't widely available at the Sephora stores near me. When I saw a travel size of this in those little bins where you line up at Sephora, I grabbed it since I'm going away in a month and it's the perfect size given all the travel restrictions when you're flying and it was also perfect to give this product a try. I really love cleansing oils in general although if you'd told me 20 years ago that I'd embrace both cleansing and facial oils, I'd have said you were crazy!

This oil has the most beautiful scent - it is very light and I can't quite place it but it seems so familiar. And it does a wonderful job of removing all my makeup, just as the company claims. What I like best is that you need not do a "double cleanse" with this oil if you don't wish to (though you can, of course, if you want to). In that, it's like Clarins Pure Melt and not having to double cleanse can be a real time-saver. This product doesn't dry out my skin, nor does it leave it with an oily film after rinsing. All in all, a great product. My review for packaging is for the travel size, which lacks the pump but which is still pretty okay (you have to wait for the drops to come out of the opening but they come out easily and it's not difficult to control the amount of product you get) but I'm sure the pump bottle is much easier to use. I am eager to try some of the other varieties of Shu oils, but as I say, the selection of his products is pretty limited, at least in my area of Canada.

EDIT: I finally realized what the smell of this is. I was using it the other night and suddenly realized that it's the scent of raw ginger root...when I grate ginger, this is the smell that is left on my hands. It is very subtle in this oil but that is the pleasant, fresh scent I noticed when using it - that's the light fragrance I noticed and couldn't quite identify.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Bought the biggest bottle after so many good reviews. Used it for 1 month thinking it was doing my skin good. Ended up with a face full of comedones that took 4 months and expensive treatments with my dermatologist to extract. Painful lesson: carefully test on ones skin before committing/investing on a product, even if many people claim its their HG.

Shu uemura cleansing oil has a lot good review in internet, so i decided to try it ^^
-First when i used it : Oh Wow, its OILY! *yeah it is a cleansing OIL!* , i was shock at first, it is oily before wash up with water, but when we wash with water, the cleansing oil become like milk water, and when we rinse off, the face feels smoother ^^
-That oily thing.. at fisrt i see it made comedo in my cheek, but i hope it just happen in the first time use~~ because the skin face feels soft and supple after washing
- It cleans well, but i dont use heavy make up with foundation, so i cant guess how it works well with heavy foundation
-i think the face looks brighter, it supposed to be ~like its promise:anti dull skin~
-I think this is really suitable for dry to normal skin, dry skin must try it ^^ *For the combination skin like me, i do double cleansing after the shu uemura then i wash again with facial foam coz if not, it still feels a bit oily*
-It makes me wanna try another type of shu uemura cleansing oil, they have another types that make me curious to try ^^

on 1/14/2016 7:14:00 AM

So this is good and I would recommend it: the smell, the way it works... Everything. I can't reallllly decide what this does- it doesn't fully remove my makeup so a separate item will be needed for that, but my skin feels and looks great after use! This kinda melts some of my makeup away but when I tune there's a lot of makeup on the pad and panda eyes are in bloom! But, again, my skin feels lovely! I would advised you to remove your makeup and then use this as it really makes my skin look it's best! The whole thing is likely to last ages because half a pump a a good amount (for an average size face)