Weleda Skin Food

Weleda Skin Food
Skin FoodSkin FoodSkin Food

4.2

Water,Sunflower Seed Oil,Lanolin, Sweet Almond Oil,Alcohol, Beeswax (Cera Alba), Glycerol Linoleate,Hydrolyzed Beeswax, Fragrance*, Viola Tricolor Extract, Rosemary Leaf Extract, Chamomilla Recutita Flower Extract,Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Cholesterol, Limonene*, Linalool*,Geraniol*, Citral*, Coumarin*.* From natural essential oils

on 3/15/2014 5:08:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

...It's about time I wrote a review for Skin Food! This has been, without a doubt, my most faithfully carried-around moisturizer. Ever.

Hands: I am a rock climbing instructor and a part-time landscaper. My hands are calloused due to these factors, and when I do not use Skin Food, they dry out, crack, and bleed. They would be so disgusting without Skin Food. Seriously, I have tried soooo many intensive gardening hand creams, it is stupid. Yet, Skin Food moisturized better than any of them!

Body: I get eczema on my elbows, and this helps it heal! If I ever notice it getting bad (lets be honest, how often do people notice the skin on their elbows), I use this and it is *poof!* smooth and supple within the week! I use it on my knees, and I use it on my heels before sandal time. I use this on my legs if they are dried out from shaving, and they glo like a freakin' goddesses. The. Best.

Face: I have hereditary dark circles around my eyes, so have used heavy concealers around them since I was 13. Since concealers are REALLY drying, it's made me have fine lines under my eyes long before my time (I first noticed them when I was 22). I started putting Skin Food around my eyes (under sunscreen and the concealer) and *BHAM!* they are hydrated, my eyes lines vanish- at least for a little while. This is pretty close to a miracle cream, but you know, it's a cream not a silicone, so I have to reapply every six-eight hours. NBD. I use it on the rest of my SUPER sensitive SUPER acne-prone face when it gets dry patches (I have combination skin- but it seems to be extreme combination? Oh why can't I have normal skin...) and it moisturizes without breaking me out. I have only used this on my face in times of emergency, so can't say if I wouldn't break out with continued usage. I would say not an all-over everyday kind of facial moisturizer.

On Planes: I travel a lot. Planes are like tepid deserts. This WILL moisturize yo face and hands and whatever else is left parched while flying (maybe even your throat? The ingrediants at Weleda are always edible, so... I mean, I wouldn't. But do what you need to).

Fun Fact: A good friend of mine just did a study in Mongolia for the UN on how the seabuckthorn (that's what's making that delightful citrus scent in yo Skin Food) helps reverse desertification by afixing water and nitrogen into soil. This is a whole plant function, not merely fruit function (which is the only part of the plant in Skin Food), but it does seem like moisturizing is the seabuckthorn's purpose for being!

Smell: Citrusy and delicious, thanks to the aforementioned seabuckthorn berries. Yum!

Texture: Thick as my grandma's middle. This works well for all purposes, except for general coverage of the face. In that case, apply Skin Food evenly to hands, pat hands on face until desired amount is absorbed. Do this while rubbing your tummy (jk).

Packaging: I have had my current tube (my third!) for one year. I have used it daily and it has lasted. I have thrown it into every purse and backpack I have carried during that time, and it has accompanied me to four different countries without exploding, praise the lawd! I love that the tube is metal, so that when I start running out of Skin Food, I can roll it to get more product. The green colour of the tube is unique enough that I can find my Skin Food at the bottom of the most disorganized pack while rumaging with a headlamp. In a sandstorm.

Buy Again: forever and ever, ahem.

on 10/17/2008 11:09:00 PM

VERY versatile and 100% natural (BDIH certified) moisturizer for your hands, body, cuticles, elbows, and even lips. Great citrus scent, I love it, it has a very aromatherapeutic quality about it.

But as for the face, be very careful, and if you have acne-prone skin consider your alternatives that contain ingredients known to be less comedogenic!

Ingredients:
Water (aqua)
Sunflower seed oil (noncomedogenic)
Lanolin (if naturally-derived MUCH LESS comedogenic than synthetic lanolins)
Sweet Almond Oil (MODERATELY to HIGHLY comedogenic)
Alcohol
Beeswax
Glyceryl Linoleate
Hydrolyzed Beeswax
Fragrance*
Viola Tricolor Extract
Rosemary Leaf Extract
organic Chamomile Extract (calms skin)
biodynamic Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract (calms skin, great for rosacea)
Cholesterol (noncomedogenic)
Limonene*
Linalool*
Geraniol*
Citral*
Coumarin*

A previous reviewer indicated that Skin Food contains Peanut Oil and, if it once did, it appears Skin Food has changed its composition. Which is excellent since sunflower seed oil appears to have replaced the Peanut oil, the former of which is less comedogenic anyways. I recommend purchasing a cute, travel-friendly, purse-sized tube from Target for $1.99.

**I reserve a 5-lippie rating for products that shine above the rest in terms of efficacy, and based on toxicity and comedogenicity. I have a strong interest in consumer health and setting higher standards for the beauty industry. I extensively research products developed with consumer health in mind. This is my personal quest to find the best-quality products. We shouldn't have to choose between beauty and health.**

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I have been a product junkie for over twenty years, so when I tell you that Weleda Skin Food might be the best product I've ever used, believe it. I can't thank you all enough for writing the great reviews that led me to discovering the stuff.

I have oily skin with a tendency toward redness, and occasional break-outs. You'd think that using a heavy cream would be a horrible idea, but it was not. This past winter wreaked havoc on my skin- I had been using a combination of Murad, Kinerase, and Caudalie creams. All that money spent, and nothing but mediocre results to show for it. One day, I stumbled upon a few trial-size tubes of Skin Food on clearance at Target for 88 cents. I had read the reviews on MUA and knew it was good stuff, so I bought them all. Bored with my skincare regimen, I tried the Skin Food on my face that night. When I woke up the next day, all the previous redness had vanished, and my skin was soft and smooth after washing.

Frankly, I was amazed. I have tried dozens of products on my skin and never received instant results like that. I was encouraged to try a few things. I had been using Kiss My Face's (highly recommended) Eyewitness cream, but was not happy with the effects. So, I switched that out for the Skin Food. The crepe-y look was gone! Next I tried Skin Food as a day cream- that one didn't work out so well for me. I found it too heavy to wear under foundation. If your skin is more dry than mine is, it might work for you, though.

Long story short, this product has been a miracle for me, and I don't think I've ever used that word about cosmetics before. For the past 4-5 months, I've used a full-sized tube of Skin Food as a night cream and the trial size as an eye cream both day and night. I'm spending a fraction of the cost I was a year ago, and my skin has completely transformed. Whereas I used to have to powder my nose every few hours, I can go an entire day without getting oily. Whatever is in this stuff, it seems to have stopped the over-production of oil in my skin.

Skin Food accomplished what I hoped Creme de la Mer would do, and is a natural product to boot! I had negative results with CdlM, and with all the cheap ingredients that stuff contains, it's no wonder.

I've literally asked myself why I didn't start using Skin Food ten years ago, so don't make the same mistake. Oily-skinned folks, don't be afraid. This stuff is cheap, so there's no risk involved. If it doesn't work on your face, just use it as a hand cream- it's great for that, too.

I've become such a convert that I'm actually wondering if I'll make Sephora VIB status this year. In just a few months, Skin Food has saved me hundreds of dollars- no joke. Best product ever.

on 2/26/2014 5:27:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

I love skin food, its natural and feels and works great. Ive read some reviews and it seems that some people are underwhelmed with it, the same way I was when I tried Dr Haushskas Rose cream the first time until I learned how to apply it correctly. (both this and skin food are very similar in texture)

When applying either cream to the face, neck and decolletage, never apply it like a traditional moisturiser. It will feel thick, gloopy and not nice.
After cleansing, toning etc, get a pea size blob between fingers, spread over the palms of hands and press/ pat on the areas you wish it to be applied to. Keep pressing and you will find that within a few minutes, skin will feel moisturised but not oily or shiny.

Applying either skin food or Haushka rose cream in this way will mean that it can be used before make up in the daytime and wont overload the skin when used as a night treatment.

Hope this helps anyone who may have tossed this great product aside, and also note, this is how I use oil blends when applied to the facial skin, it lets the skin absorb the goodness without leaving an oil slick situation.

on 4/2/2008 12:09:00 PM

This stuff is AMAZING. If I could ingest it, I would. Takes care of the conundrum skin that so many in their mid-thirties find: stressed, sensitive, breakout-prone, fine lines, and oily-on-the-surface-but -dry-and-uncomfortable-feeling. I use it on my face every night, and also during the day if I'm taking decongestants or have had too much alcohol or salt the night before (use Weleda Almond Moisture Cream during the day usually). Skin Food instantly soothes skin, soaks right in, and smells like a Mediterranean garden. It addresses ALL of my skin concerns, from redness to fine lines to breakouts. Make sure skin is slightly damp, and warm a pea-sized drop in your hands before pressing it into your skin. Brilliant on hands, lips, cuticles, gnarly elbows, and even on kids' skin, too. (My three-year-old daughter loves it on her boo boos.) I can't imagine not using this stuff, and I can't recommend it enough. Looooooove it.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Weleda is one of those brands I innately trust, probably because it was around the house when I was a kid. I started out using this for dry hands, but at some point, I read an article about using Weleda on the face and I've been converted ever since.

This cream is thick and greasy. It sinks into skin very slowly, so it is not ideal for on-the-go or daytime use. Instead, I usually slather it on at night and go to sleep, and I'll wake up with gloriously moisturized, dewy, and plump-looking skin.

PROS
- I have SO MANY pros for this product, including that for some reason, it helped me grow out my sparse brows. I used to have really weak eyebrow growth but I started to sprout more hairs ever since I used this cream. Lo-and-behold, I have much fuller brows now and they're well conditioned.
- Aside from that, this is so moisturizing, soothing, and emollient to the point where it feels luxurious and pampering to use. In horrible Chicago winters, this keeps my skin from getting chapped
- It smells amazing.
- The price is amazing for for a face cream product.
- For me, the pansy or calendula or whatever minor ingredient actually helps heal acne and skin irritations.

CON
I can imagine two cons, but they don't necessarily apply to me.
1) This cream is very thick and not suited for daytime use. This is not a face cream you can just put on and leave the house with. It needs time to sink in, whether you are using it as a hand cream or as a face cream, so this wouldn't be very convenient as a daytime moisturizer.
2) Some people may experience skin sensitivity or acne from this product. It did not break me out, but that really is just me lucking out with the ingredients because many other things make my skin erupt like the ring of fire. I am not sensitive to natural lanolin or any of the other ingredients, but I do know other people who are extremely sensitive to lanolin. It all really depends on what your skin prefers.

In general, Weleda skinfood has replaced any night cream or nighttime moisturizer I might have splurged on, and it continues to keep me from ever considering spending a lot of money on more expensive skin care. This is honestly that one desert island product I would keep. I need this green tube like I need water. It definitely is suited for me. If it is suited for you, then you will love this product and your skin after using it.

FAVE USES
Nighttime face moisturizer, hair pomade, natural highlighter

As a face moisturizer: you really have to warm this up and work it in if you use this on your face. If you straight up apply this to your face and try to rub it in, it will tug on your skin and be difficult to work with. I like to put a generous dab on the back of my hand, and then warm a little bit at a time between my fingers until it is soft and workable before I press it onto my skin. When done, I look like a greaseball, but it soaks in while I sleep. I use this after all other face products and treatments like my toner and serum.

As a pomade: I break out from most hair pomade. However, this works wonderfully on my skin, and it's sticky enough to function as one. This is great to slick back a ponytail or bun. I'll just warm the *tiniest* bit between my hands and then smooth back stray hairs to give them a very natural hold.

As a highlighter: this gives a nice moisturized sheen when I want that glowy, dewy, no-makeup look. I like dabbing this on my cheekbones, on my cupid's bow, on the tip of my nose, and along my brow bone.

Ok are you ready for this? This stuff saved my face..I'm 31 & seriously my skin looks younger & more supple & firm & toned than at 25. I know this is a "hand cream" but after using retin-a I was desperate to find a moisturizer that actually MOISTURIZED! My poor skin was dry & looked awful & felt awful, my nose peeled most days from the retin-a...I was absolutely desperate for moisture, I tried using pure oils (jojoba, vitamin e, coconut, olive) but nothing was moisturizing enough & thank goodness I remembered my mom using this green skin "food" on her face years ago & there it was...my knight in shining armor. This stuff has changed my face! I've always had dry skin, dry & peeling even when I went through mid 20's awful acne & nothing I used was ever satisfactory, including $72 serums & $65 moisturizers! The only tip I've got is to clean your face well, let it DRY completely then with dry hands get a pea sized blob, rub it into your palms to thin & warm & pat onto face. TRUST ME...you'll see & fill the difference immediately. If your face or hands are wet it doesn't melt down, thin out...you'll see. Make sure you've dried your hands & face first.

I've got my skin food on Amazon auto ship every 2 months & am 150% satisfied vs other EXPENSIVE SEPHORA ALLURE MAGAZINE crap I've tried. I won't go a day without it. It's price is fantastic for the huge tube, also great brand Weleda so it's not full of harsh chemicals (hint hint...that's why it actually works).

It's great for your hands but a game changer for your face. Try it, give it a couple weeks at least, it's heavy & feels greasy at first but you'll never use another moisturizer once you've figured this one out & get that plump firm face back that all these chemical filled products has taken from you (us) me.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

This smells like lavender and some sort of citrus oil blend.

Despite wearing lots of sunscreen, I still got a sunburn at band camp, and my dad said my face looked like a monkey's butt. I was upset enough to wear a giant banana leaf hat for two days afterwards, so Mom bought some cosmetics for me on condition that I stop wearing the hat. It encourages Asian stereotyping, she said.

She bought me a new sunscreen, witch hazel toner, Skin Food, and that insanely expensive albatross highlighter by NARS. That was four months ago, and I still haven't used the highlighter because Skin Food brightens the skin so well.

The cream is really thick and oily, but not slick like Vaseline. It's almost like a paste with oil, and it's hard to spread around, so I tend to press it in. I apply the witch hazel twice, tapping it in the first time only. The second time I leave it wet on my face, then press in the Skin Food cream, moving it upwards and tapping at random. It absorbs better this way, so skin looks well-moisturized instead of oily. Also it's nice not having to rub one's face so hard that it turns red. The witch hazel softens the cream, making it easier to absorb or blend or whatever it is that creams and faces do.

The most interesting thing about this cream is that it gives the skin a glow that other brands of cream do not. It's not because the cream is so oily that it makes the skin shiny, either. It's a clean, healthy look. It makes me look well-rested even when I pull three-nighters.

The packaging is nice, doesn't look too posh, none of that expensive-looking nonsense with finger smudges all over. It's not so good for putting in one's pocket (or purse, as I guess most of you beautiful ladies prefer) because it melts and makes the cap really messy. I flattened and rolled the top part of mine, and now there's a tiny hole, so don't do that either; flattening it is fine, but don't fold it.

The packaging and scent are unisex, which is very helpful for men and vain tomboys like me. But as great as the citrus scent is, I believe those oils make the skin more photosensitive, so be sure to wear sunscreen with this. Unfortunately, the cream is thick enough to make any extra layers uncomfortable, but then again, Weleda's Calendula baby cream has a similar texture and gives a similar glow, although the scent is far less pleasant.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Like so many other people, I purchased a tiny tube of this at Target. I didn't end up trying it until I went away for the weekend and forgot my bag of moisturizers. A total crisis because I travel with a million of them for every body part and skin condition. Anyway, I found my tube of Skin Food at the bottom of my handbag and I used it on my hands, feet. In spite of the strong, but pleasant fragrance and thick texture, I went ahead and used it all over my face. The results were incredible! I had one of my dreadful, once a year pimples and it was gone in two days and the fine lines around my eyes and my dry patches vanished over night. My cuticles have always been dry and raggedy, but they have been completely transformed. During the day, I pat it over my makeup where ever my skin looks dry, and it makes my makeup look fresh and dewy. Crazy! I simply don't understand how it can treat so many different skin conditions so effectively.

Skin Food won't replace all my other moisturizers, but it has replaced my La Prairie Skin Caviar Luxe Eye Lift (a $270 savings) and it is the only product I use on my hands and feet. I've purchased a tube for every room in the house as well as my car and handbag. It is the one product I cannot be without.

on 2/22/2008 10:36:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure

This is my HG moisturizer, hand cream and eye cream. I used to use La Mer on my eyes and various creams on my face. I finally took a chance after reading all of your reviews and I can't thank you enough.

For my face, I put a pea sized bit on my hands and rub them together to spread it thin and warm it up. Then, I pat my hands on my face to moisturize. I am 37 and I look like I am still in my 20's (part of this is genetics... THANK YOU MOM!). My skin has always been a problem. It is usually either too dry or breaking out. I have never looked better. I have been using this for about a month, morning and night, and have had no breakouts so far. I will update if this changes.

I also have replaced the La Mer for my eyes by putting an extra bit of this on. I can't believe that I was paying so much when this has been around for so long. I look better with this than I did the La Mer. I barely have lines and my dark circles are still fairly faded.

For my hands, the only thing I can compare to this is L'Occitane's shea butter hand cream. This is cheaper and works just as well.

This is the greatest moisturizer ever. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, IT!