Chanel Rouge Noir

CHANEL Rouge NoirRouge Noir

4.5

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Wow, well, I have to say that just putting this on my toenails made me feel sexier (despite it being fall and so my toenails are almost always concealed). Let me start by saying that I did try to find a dupe for this but it's surprisingly hard. However, the formula convinced me that I made the right choice in going for the original. The formula is self-leveling, the consistency is good, and the shine is beyond belief. Seriously, you don't need a topcoat for shine (but as with reds/purples it will streak surfaces without one). The colour is blackish brown-based red so I won't be wearing this too often, but when I do, it'll be a sophisticated treat. Gave this a 4 for packaging bc of the floppy long brush and the brush handle could be longer. Will repurchase but hopefully not too quickly, it's too pricey!

on 10/24/2011 2:32:00 PM

A must-have colour for times when you want to look like you mean business. Given its depth of pigment, never fails to lend a level of sophistication to an outfit. Have had one for some years (used only occasionally) and it's still operational, so a testament to the quality of Chanel varnish.

on 10/31/2010 12:02:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

This nail varnish is gorgeous. The colour is soooo classy and chic and the quality is outstanding. It lasts three times more than any nail varnish but as the times goes by and the varnish becomes older it starts chipping sooner. The shine is premier league. However, the price is far too expensive given the huge amount of similar shades much cheaper in the market.

on 9/24/2010 4:43:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Lovely colour. I at first thought this would be the biggest fad but after having applied this, i fell in love with the rich and glossy colour it left. My HG vamp colour.

on 8/24/2010 9:44:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Rouge Noir is my all time fav nail color.
I am not really a "nail girl" and don't really do a lot with my nails. I'm lucky to have naturally "good" and strong nail, so most of of the time I just keep it not too short and bare.
But once a while I love to paint them dark and I find this vampy red color to be perfect.
With two coat you will get a dark red gorgeous color. One of the reason I love it, it's the same exact color as my my fav fruit, dark chery.
Its not overly shiny (I don't like shiny blingy nails) but it has enough dept to make it interesting. Its sexy but classy.
It does chipped after a day or so and doesn't last that long. For me its not really a big deal, weird but I actually like the worn out, dried blood looks =P
If I do want a more neat sophisticated looks, for a fancy dinner etc, I make sure i put it on the same day as the event. So i know at least it will stay perfect during that time.
I'm sure there are a lot of better nail polishes out there for a cheaper price. But I don't really feel like experimenting with nail polishes. For me this is good enough. And beside I'm already fallen in love with Rouge Noir.

This is a very, very dark red. It looks dark brown in certain lighting, but really, it's a blackened red that kind of reminds me of dried blood. Application was a little tricky; the first coat came out streaky and uneven...my nails looked horrible after the first coat. It improved a lot after I applied the second coat but to achieve a nice, even colour, you probably need some serious concentration/semi-steady hands.

I wore this over Witchcraft Nail Hardener, OPI Ridge Filler and Creative Stickey Base Coat (my usual three before colour) and I put on a coat of Sally Hansen Double Duty top coat before finally finishing it off with Creative Super Shiney top coat. It's a lot of coats, I know, but the first three coats take less than 5 minutes and the SH dries pretty fast.

I only wore this colour for 5 days, but after 5 days there were no chips at all...only minor tip wear. I did apply another thin coat of Super Shiney on the fourth day, so that could've helped. If you read the reviews for the SH Double Duty though, you will notice that many people's polish did not chip for a long time. The only downside is that it's not a very shiny top coat, that's why I wear it under Super Shiney.

It did "bleed" a little though even after I let it sit for an hour. It wasn't completely dry, I guess, so it turned my SH brush pink. Now the top coat is ever so slightly tinted pink...but not very noticeable at all. This, together with the application, were the reasons why I took off one lippie.

Other than that, it dried to a very high shine, was super even (although streaky, it wasn't goopy) and just looked great on my nails...I got lots of compliments!

on 1/5/2008 7:10:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

I really wanted Essie Wicked, but I Essie isn't available at retail where I live. I've had to settle for salon manis/pedis where they use Essie polishes.

Anyway I bought Chanel Rouge Noir because I heard it's similar to Essie Wicked. Have to say I don't love this as much as Essie. It has too much red tone in it and done't really faltter my NC50 dark skintone. Staying power is great though - on my toes for 2 weeks now and looks good as new. On tips, it started showing signs of wear by day 2, but still looked decent for a week until huge chips appeared. I was doing dishes / housework everyday without gloves, so I was pretty impressed. But when it comes down to it, I don't love the colour and won't repurchase.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

this is a terribly amazing color!! believe all whats been said about it!! i just cant get enough of its beauty. specially its winter season now.. it matches well with all my outfits believe it or not :D needless to say anything about chanel's nail polish quality! absolutely theeee best!! this is the most unique color ever + black satin! i am in love madly with these two!

on 10/19/2007 10:41:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

Well, what can I say? A really nice colour, sharp! Doesn't stain your nails either! The packaging is really nice, really stands out! Goes onto your nails smoothly too. One of the best. Really worth the price.

on 7/8/2006 7:54:00 AM

This is a very elegant deep, browned red creme that seems to require three coats every time I use it, because it applies a little streakily. I actually slightly prefer the colour I get at two coats - a very dark raisin red - but it doesn't look even without a third, at which point Vamp becomes close to black. Once it's on properly, though, it looks glossy, smooth and rich. With decent base and top coats, this lasts very well on me.

I would not repurchase this, however, because the price is ridiculous considering there are very close duplicates for this colour for much cheaper:Essie Wicked achieves that near-black look on me, and I prefer the application with that polish (though it also requires 3 coats). This is one of my faves.Maybelline Wet Shine in Succulent is close, but redder/plummier.Revlon Vixen is a very similar deep browned red.Orly Naughty is less red/brown but is almost black.MAC Vintage Vamp, which I just got and I haven't tried a full manicure of, looks extremely close - it's a smidge redder and less brown.All of these are of as good or better quality than Chanel Vamp, and have prices that are easier on the pocketbook. :)

(Note: Chanel supposedly has two versions of this nail polish: one called Vamp and one called Rouge Noir. My bottle has both names on it, so I have no idea which version mine is.)

Pics:NailsBottle with both names on itSwatch Comparison 1Swatch Comparison 2Swatch Comparison 3 continued >>

Popular Polishes