Chanel Rouge Noir

Filtered by eye Color : Blue
Chanel Rouge Noir
CHANEL Rouge NoirRouge Noir

4.4

Today, after beeing a MUA member for yeeeaaars, I am actually writing my 1st review :-)

So here goes: Chanel Rouge Noir nail polish.
Of course I checked the other reviews before. Very helpful was the one pointing out how much cash I would spend in trying to find a dupe. Yep, Essie Wicke, while very nice, just didnt do it. in comparison wicked looks "dead" on the nail, While very shiny it does not have that slightly translucent quality and the livelyness of the red somwhere deep in the base. It beats me how Chanel did it.

I am from Germany. The bottle here says "18 Rouge Noir"

Packaging & Handling:
Very classic, what makes Chanel polishes different from all the others is their dainty brush. Yes it is longer and more floppy than others. You have to hold the tiny round top with a kind of elegant grip.
When putting on your Chanel you cannot rush! The brush almost orders you to sit down on your beautiful butt and celebrate the whole application process. No sturdy brush to just swap it on. No Lady, either you do this right or your manicure is doomed.

Staying power:
Surprise, surprise! On my thin nails 4 days with almot no tip wear. Something happens on day 5 that just makes the polish come off in really big sheets.

Finish:
First application uneven, streaky. Second application and the magic sets in. Even, self levelling and very glossy!

Base Coat: P2, really cheap about 2,50 EUR
Top Coat: Sally Hansen Insta Dry about 7,95 EUR
Rouge Noir: 23,00 EUR
It seems to be all about between what base and top coat you sandwich your Chanel.

I hope this helps you make your decision. Could I live without it before, well yes. Can I live without it now? Well no :-)
It just makes you feel so elegant and sexy.

I am afraid this is the beginning of a Love for Chanel Polishes. Well you have been warned ;-)

Happy Polishing!

on 1/22/2014 10:46:00 AM

My only previous Chanel nail polish was Dragon, which was an absolutely beautiful red but didn't wear particularly well. I figured I was done with Chanel polishes - however, I'm currently going through some kind of delayed goth phase and I just couldn't find a colour similar to Rouge Noir. It looks so beautiful in the bottle, and in fact it is just as beautiful on my hands (I'm extremely pale, NC15). Finally I plonked down the £18 at Selfridges during my lunch break and hoped for the best. As with Dragon, it doesn't have amazing staying power and chips within a day or two. However, it will look pretty damn good for that first and second day.

I've heard that using the Chanel topcoat is the best thing for keeping Chanel polishes in their place, but I don't have the $$$$ to find out. To sum up: short lived but perfect for the vampire babe within.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse

Well, this really is the only option it you want that colour. I'm not too impressed with the quality of chanel polishes, but I'm pretty sure this wont be my last. I need three coats, and with top and basecoat (Essies 3-way-glaze and Good to go) it lasts 3-4 days without chipping. I don't really know what else to say...If you like the colour, just get this as it will be cheaper that trying all the dupes!

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I really love this color - it was my favorite color for years! I first got it when I saw Uma Thurman wearing it in "Pulp Fiction". It's the most gorgeous, vampy color. It appears to be almost black but it's really a very deep red/chocolate shade. It's super-glossy which means it always looks wet, which I love. On my toenails it lasts until I choose to take it off - it doesn't chip. But on my fingernails it lasts about 3 days before chipping (I'm quite hard on my nails). The consistency is fairly thin. The brush isn't very wide, which annoys me a bit but this polish self-levels beautifully so I NEVER end up with streaks or uneven color. I find I get really good coverage with 2 coats but 3 makes the color exceptional. I wouldn't buy it again though because I've "been there, done that" with this color and when I want a vampy shade now I don't want any chocolate color in it.

Colour was disappointingly dark when all the necessary coats were applied. Did chip within a day on me, I used a basecoat and Seche Vite topcoat. Brush is annoyingly thin and makes application frustrating. Expected better for the 16.50 this cost :(

Hair: Black, Other, Fine

I aboslutely adore this colour. Beautiful with pale skin and a colour that everyone from Audrey Hepburn to Kate Moss could wear, timeless yet highfashion I'd say.
Howeveeer, the stayingpower is not what it should be for this beautiful yet pricey nail polish, (yes I do use base and topcoat) and I have to say, sorry Chanel, but h&ms nailpolish does it better than yours.
In the end I still love it and will ignore the fact that I have to re-paint my nails every fourth day.

on 3/5/2010 5:04:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

This polish is my absolute all-time favourite polish. I rarely wear anything else on my nails, even during the summer, and it's now become my "thing". The compliments this polish garners from complete strangers is unbelievable - random strangers in the supermarket, other diners in restaurants etc. You do pay a premium because it's Chanel but it is a quality polish. After 2 coats the colour payoff is amazing and I find that it lasts around 7-10 days (as long as I wear rubber gloves whilst doing the housework!) with Sticky base and S.V top coat. 3 coats works well but it looks more black than I prefer. I wouldn't recommend 1 coat unless you have a flawless application - no matter how hard I try, it still looks streaky. Whilst it looks fine with longer nails, I've found it looks classier when my nails are shorter. Would I repurchase? Ha! I keep back ups for my back ups (I currently have 7 boxes in my fridge...and no food), and I pray to God that Chanel never discontinues this polish - I'd be lost without it!

on 4/20/2009 7:16:00 PM

Rich wine red almost black. Similar to OPI's Lincoln Park After Dark but with red cast. Very sexy color! Have not had any issues with chipping. Heard that it is being discontinued!

on 8/22/2008 12:01:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is my very favorite nail color. It is genius. It is dark but still red. Sometimes you just can't wear black...

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

A ridiculous price to pay for nail varnish but such a beautiful colour I couldn't resist. Oh & its CHANEL. I only use it on my toes so it lasts for ages & doesn't chip. Never used it on my fingers so I can't comment on its staying power there. I think its the nicest dark of all the darks I have seen.

Popular Polishes