Chanel Rouge Noir

Filtered by hair type : Straight
Chanel Rouge Noir
CHANEL Rouge NoirRouge Noir

4.3

I own quite a few chanel make-up items, but didn't get one of their polishes yet. I splurged on this beautiful colour and did not regret it at all! It is a quality polish, and stayed extremely well on the nails. I got a bit of tipwear during the 3 days that I wore it. I don't mind that. Surprisingly the tipwear was only on my middle finger, and my thumbs stayed impeccable, usually my thumbs chip first! So yes, love it!

I've always loved this colour but never had the guts to splash out on such an expensive nail varnish. I always opted for lookalikes! However, last year I treated myself and I have to say I was less that impressed with the results.

The colour is stunning, perfect for when you want a near-black polish but don't have the guts to go full on. Aesthetically it's perfect, including the bottle.

The huge downside is the durability, though. It started chipping after a couple of hours, even after using a base and quality top coat and by the end of the first day of wear I'd lost 70% on both hands. It's such a shame and not what you'd expect from such a quality brand. I also found the brush too thin, which made application hard.

My advice would be to go for lookalike colours (there are loads about) and save the massive bashing your wallet will get. It really isn't worth it.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse

Well, this really is the only option it you want that colour. I'm not too impressed with the quality of chanel polishes, but I'm pretty sure this wont be my last. I need three coats, and with top and basecoat (Essies 3-way-glaze and Good to go) it lasts 3-4 days without chipping. I don't really know what else to say...If you like the colour, just get this as it will be cheaper that trying all the dupes!

on 3/22/2012 3:19:00 PM

This is my all-time favourite nail polish. Nothing is as good for depth of colour, texture, or durability. I wear this for days on end without touch-ups, it looks classy and it goes with absolutely everything. Other deep reds don't even come close.

This is the only Chanel polish I own - because there is no dupe for this one. (Trust me, I've looked.)

on 10/24/2011 3:39:00 PM

A true classic <3

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

The cult classic, Rouge Noir, is a very dark red, almost like blood. As I'm one to reach for dark polishes, this is actually my favourite. I've had this nail polish for a while but at around AUD$39, it doesn't come cheap. However, I don't wear nail polish all the time but when I do, this is the one I reach for first. I love the packaging: it's so chic. The brush is so easy to work with and it doesn't really matter how messy I apply the polish on, it ends up look smooth and nicely done when it's dried (for some reason)
As for drying time, I think it dries pretty fast. I don't really have anything bad to say about it except the price, but considering that it's Chanel, it's worth it because the first time I applied it on, I felt like a million bucks.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

While I like the color it somehow doesn't really look too flaterring on me. It's somewhat too dark, almost black and I am not really into gothic style. I do wear it every now and then when the whole world seems to be against me and I would like to show that I am tougher than I look :-) Staying power is not impressive. It chips in about 3 days or so. Wouldn't re-purchase but I am not disappointed that I have it.

on 2/28/2011 5:05:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I was hoping Rouge Noir going to be the blackened red creme I've been searching for. I mean, it's called Rouge Noir right?

Should have called it Rouge Marron instead.

It's dark red in the bottle, but it's definitely got a distinct brown tinge to it. Doesn't work with my True Winter colouring at all. It doesn't look anything close to red once I get it onto my nail, just brown.

on 2/6/2011 4:17:00 AM

Classic, sexy, dangerous - it doesn't get any better than this. This perfect deeeeeep red/black creme is old school style glamour. It's the kind of cool that never goes out of style. The quality is what you expect from Chanel and the price - great pigment, full coverage in two coats (have done one in a pinch). It looks great on short nails (think Uma Thurman in Pulp Fiction), goes on smooth and is reasonably long lasting. You definitely need to use a good top coat though, or else you'll end up finding rubs/streaks of color if you drag a nail across a book, papers, etc.

A HUGE downside for those of us in the USA - it's not sold at the Chanel counters here anymore. I swear that this color was the orginal one called Vamp, but the Vamp sold here now is a totally different color - a deep red/purple, metallic/shimmer, not the red/black creme that is Rouge Noir. I wish Chanel would sell both colors here and then there would be something for everyone. Clearly there is a loyal fan base for both.

It's a shame that I have to hunt it down on Ebay, hope it's not fake, and pay a ridiculously steep price for a nail polish (double the price of one of the already most over-priced brands around), stock up when I'm in Europe, or beg friends when they're going to bring me back a few bottles.

I have no common sense when it comes to this polish, and all the knock-offs I've tried just don't quite get it right. So I pay, pay, pay. Can't resist and it's a staple of my polish collection. I'm down to my last bottle right now, so I'm on the hunt again!

If you find it, try it - you'll love it. But know what you're getting into.

And Chanel - please - have some pity on all us Rouge Noir devotees in the US and bring it back!

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I LOVE this colour! Amazing coverage and wear. The most beautiful deep red. I have been re buying for years. Classic!

Popular Polishes