Chanel Rouge Noir

Chanel Rouge Noir
CHANEL Rouge NoirRouge Noir

4.1

on 10/27/2015 4:46:00 PM

Love, love, love this nail varnish!
I wear it on my toes quite often and it lasts for ages and never chips. I always use a base coat as it does stain the nails. It's not cheap but it's worth it. Such a deep colour and applies easily.

I've always loved this colour but never had the guts to splash out on such an expensive nail varnish. I always opted for lookalikes! However, last year I treated myself and I have to say I was less that impressed with the results.

The colour is stunning, perfect for when you want a near-black polish but don't have the guts to go full on. Aesthetically it's perfect, including the bottle.

The huge downside is the durability, though. It started chipping after a couple of hours, even after using a base and quality top coat and by the end of the first day of wear I'd lost 70% on both hands. It's such a shame and not what you'd expect from such a quality brand. I also found the brush too thin, which made application hard.

My advice would be to go for lookalike colours (there are loads about) and save the massive bashing your wallet will get. It really isn't worth it.

on 2/11/2013 4:04:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Looking for dupe? Flormar 323 is the answer. Chanel is sold for 50 lira where Flormar is sold for 2,50 lira in my country. I really don't think Rouge Noir deserves this price tag.

on 10/24/2011 3:39:00 PM

A true classic <3

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

The cult classic, Rouge Noir, is a very dark red, almost like blood. As I'm one to reach for dark polishes, this is actually my favourite. I've had this nail polish for a while but at around AUD$39, it doesn't come cheap. However, I don't wear nail polish all the time but when I do, this is the one I reach for first. I love the packaging: it's so chic. The brush is so easy to work with and it doesn't really matter how messy I apply the polish on, it ends up look smooth and nicely done when it's dried (for some reason)
As for drying time, I think it dries pretty fast. I don't really have anything bad to say about it except the price, but considering that it's Chanel, it's worth it because the first time I applied it on, I felt like a million bucks.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I really love this color - it was my favorite color for years! I first got it when I saw Uma Thurman wearing it in "Pulp Fiction". It's the most gorgeous, vampy color. It appears to be almost black but it's really a very deep red/chocolate shade. It's super-glossy which means it always looks wet, which I love. On my toenails it lasts until I choose to take it off - it doesn't chip. But on my fingernails it lasts about 3 days before chipping (I'm quite hard on my nails). The consistency is fairly thin. The brush isn't very wide, which annoys me a bit but this polish self-levels beautifully so I NEVER end up with streaks or uneven color. I find I get really good coverage with 2 coats but 3 makes the color exceptional. I wouldn't buy it again though because I've "been there, done that" with this color and when I want a vampy shade now I don't want any chocolate color in it.

on 2/6/2011 4:17:00 AM

Classic, sexy, dangerous - it doesn't get any better than this. This perfect deeeeeep red/black creme is old school style glamour. It's the kind of cool that never goes out of style. The quality is what you expect from Chanel and the price - great pigment, full coverage in two coats (have done one in a pinch). It looks great on short nails (think Uma Thurman in Pulp Fiction), goes on smooth and is reasonably long lasting. You definitely need to use a good top coat though, or else you'll end up finding rubs/streaks of color if you drag a nail across a book, papers, etc.

A HUGE downside for those of us in the USA - it's not sold at the Chanel counters here anymore. I swear that this color was the orginal one called Vamp, but the Vamp sold here now is a totally different color - a deep red/purple, metallic/shimmer, not the red/black creme that is Rouge Noir. I wish Chanel would sell both colors here and then there would be something for everyone. Clearly there is a loyal fan base for both.

It's a shame that I have to hunt it down on Ebay, hope it's not fake, and pay a ridiculously steep price for a nail polish (double the price of one of the already most over-priced brands around), stock up when I'm in Europe, or beg friends when they're going to bring me back a few bottles.

I have no common sense when it comes to this polish, and all the knock-offs I've tried just don't quite get it right. So I pay, pay, pay. Can't resist and it's a staple of my polish collection. I'm down to my last bottle right now, so I'm on the hunt again!

If you find it, try it - you'll love it. But know what you're getting into.

And Chanel - please - have some pity on all us Rouge Noir devotees in the US and bring it back!

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I LOVE this colour! Amazing coverage and wear. The most beautiful deep red. I have been re buying for years. Classic!

on 11/16/2010 11:48:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

cherry dipped in chocolate? Such a gorgeous colour, I call it a femme fatale colour, one of my fav.

on 6/6/2010 7:23:00 PM

Love the colour. Got so many compliments when I wore it. Chips easily and requires a lot of coats. Love it anyway :p

Popular Polishes