Chanel Rouge Noir

Filtered by skin type : Normal
Chanel Rouge Noir
CHANEL Rouge NoirRouge Noir

4.2

I've always loved this colour but never had the guts to splash out on such an expensive nail varnish. I always opted for lookalikes! However, last year I treated myself and I have to say I was less that impressed with the results.

The colour is stunning, perfect for when you want a near-black polish but don't have the guts to go full on. Aesthetically it's perfect, including the bottle.

The huge downside is the durability, though. It started chipping after a couple of hours, even after using a base and quality top coat and by the end of the first day of wear I'd lost 70% on both hands. It's such a shame and not what you'd expect from such a quality brand. I also found the brush too thin, which made application hard.

My advice would be to go for lookalike colours (there are loads about) and save the massive bashing your wallet will get. It really isn't worth it.

You definitely need a base coat and a good top coat for Chanel nail varnish. I'm quite surprised how easily the varnish chips. I treated myself to this colour, my daughter bought a vibrant red Chanel polish which also chipped after wearing for only a day. With Chanel being an expensive nail polish, I thought it would be longer lasting than the cheaper varnishes.

The best. Period.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I really love this color - it was my favorite color for years! I first got it when I saw Uma Thurman wearing it in "Pulp Fiction". It's the most gorgeous, vampy color. It appears to be almost black but it's really a very deep red/chocolate shade. It's super-glossy which means it always looks wet, which I love. On my toenails it lasts until I choose to take it off - it doesn't chip. But on my fingernails it lasts about 3 days before chipping (I'm quite hard on my nails). The consistency is fairly thin. The brush isn't very wide, which annoys me a bit but this polish self-levels beautifully so I NEVER end up with streaks or uneven color. I find I get really good coverage with 2 coats but 3 makes the color exceptional. I wouldn't buy it again though because I've "been there, done that" with this color and when I want a vampy shade now I don't want any chocolate color in it.

on 2/28/2011 5:05:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I was hoping Rouge Noir going to be the blackened red creme I've been searching for. I mean, it's called Rouge Noir right?

Should have called it Rouge Marron instead.

It's dark red in the bottle, but it's definitely got a distinct brown tinge to it. Doesn't work with my True Winter colouring at all. It doesn't look anything close to red once I get it onto my nail, just brown.

on 11/16/2010 11:48:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

cherry dipped in chocolate? Such a gorgeous colour, I call it a femme fatale colour, one of my fav.

on 2/21/2010 1:47:00 AM

Eyes: Violet

What can I say, I love the color!
I was on a search for a blood red, and when I encountered rouge noir I knew it was the one. haha. Even my dad said it was nice, he usually doesn't notice these things.

The application was very smooth for me, although I would prefer a wider brush.

2 coats is all you need!

Swatches: http://milanandvanaily.blogspot.com/search/label/Chanel

on 11/2/2009 10:45:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Chanel Rouge Noir is the definitive "vampy" polish by reputation, so naturally, I had to acquire this for my stash, and I can honestly say .. BEST POLISH EVER! This is probably one of my "Top 10" shades of all time.

Rouge Noir is totally sexy, sophisticated and rich. It's a dark blackened red, that doesn't go "black" after a couple of coats. I have Vamp as well, but I prefer this over Vamp because it's slightly deeper, and sans "shimmer", which makes it beyond classy. It's rich but not gothic, and is just perfection for my vampy loving self. This is definite HG for me! continued >>

on 10/19/2009 7:00:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I LOVE this colour. Its my favourite dark polish. Its so flattering on my skintone, regardless of if I'm paler or tanned. its also worked well on all my friends who have borrowed it.

I like the fact that the large square external lid is removable, and then the lid that is attached to the brush is smaller. I still perfer my OPI polishes for the brush shape but this is not bad.

Using a good top & base coat improves the length of time I can wear this on my nails. And a base coat is necessary to avoid staining the nails.

My only problem with this polish is that it goes gluggy really quickly. I've repurchased maybe four times now because it gets unusable about 1/4 of the way into my use of a bottle. But the colour is such a standout the that I'm happy to repurchase and I can't take any ratings off. LOVE it.

on 1/5/2008 7:10:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

I really wanted Essie Wicked, but I Essie isn't available at retail where I live. I've had to settle for salon manis/pedis where they use Essie polishes.

Anyway I bought Chanel Rouge Noir because I heard it's similar to Essie Wicked. Have to say I don't love this as much as Essie. It has too much red tone in it and done't really faltter my NC50 dark skintone. Staying power is great though - on my toes for 2 weeks now and looks good as new. On tips, it started showing signs of wear by day 2, but still looked decent for a week until huge chips appeared. I was doing dishes / housework everyday without gloves, so I was pretty impressed. But when it comes down to it, I don't love the colour and won't repurchase.

Popular Polishes