Chanel Rouge Noir

Chanel Rouge Noir
CHANEL Rouge NoirRouge Noir

4.4

on 7/8/2006 7:54:00 AM

This is a very elegant deep, browned red creme that seems to require three coats every time I use it, because it applies a little streakily. I actually slightly prefer the colour I get at two coats - a very dark raisin red - but it doesn't look even without a third, at which point Vamp becomes close to black. Once it's on properly, though, it looks glossy, smooth and rich. With decent base and top coats, this lasts very well on me.

I would not repurchase this, however, because the price is ridiculous considering there are very close duplicates for this colour for much cheaper:Essie Wicked achieves that near-black look on me, and I prefer the application with that polish (though it also requires 3 coats). This is one of my faves.Maybelline Wet Shine in Succulent is close, but redder/plummier.Revlon Vixen is a very similar deep browned red.Orly Naughty is less red/brown but is almost black.MAC Vintage Vamp, which I just got and I haven't tried a full manicure of, looks extremely close - it's a smidge redder and less brown.All of these are of as good or better quality than Chanel Vamp, and have prices that are easier on the pocketbook. :)

(Note: Chanel supposedly has two versions of this nail polish: one called Vamp and one called Rouge Noir. My bottle has both names on it, so I have no idea which version mine is.)

Pics:NailsBottle with both names on itSwatch Comparison 1Swatch Comparison 2Swatch Comparison 3 continued >>

Today, after beeing a MUA member for yeeeaaars, I am actually writing my 1st review :-)

So here goes: Chanel Rouge Noir nail polish.
Of course I checked the other reviews before. Very helpful was the one pointing out how much cash I would spend in trying to find a dupe. Yep, Essie Wicke, while very nice, just didnt do it. in comparison wicked looks "dead" on the nail, While very shiny it does not have that slightly translucent quality and the livelyness of the red somwhere deep in the base. It beats me how Chanel did it.

I am from Germany. The bottle here says "18 Rouge Noir"

Packaging & Handling:
Very classic, what makes Chanel polishes different from all the others is their dainty brush. Yes it is longer and more floppy than others. You have to hold the tiny round top with a kind of elegant grip.
When putting on your Chanel you cannot rush! The brush almost orders you to sit down on your beautiful butt and celebrate the whole application process. No sturdy brush to just swap it on. No Lady, either you do this right or your manicure is doomed.

Staying power:
Surprise, surprise! On my thin nails 4 days with almot no tip wear. Something happens on day 5 that just makes the polish come off in really big sheets.

Finish:
First application uneven, streaky. Second application and the magic sets in. Even, self levelling and very glossy!

Base Coat: P2, really cheap about 2,50 EUR
Top Coat: Sally Hansen Insta Dry about 7,95 EUR
Rouge Noir: 23,00 EUR
It seems to be all about between what base and top coat you sandwich your Chanel.

I hope this helps you make your decision. Could I live without it before, well yes. Can I live without it now? Well no :-)
It just makes you feel so elegant and sexy.

I am afraid this is the beginning of a Love for Chanel Polishes. Well you have been warned ;-)

Happy Polishing!

on 2/6/2011 4:17:00 AM

Classic, sexy, dangerous - it doesn't get any better than this. This perfect deeeeeep red/black creme is old school style glamour. It's the kind of cool that never goes out of style. The quality is what you expect from Chanel and the price - great pigment, full coverage in two coats (have done one in a pinch). It looks great on short nails (think Uma Thurman in Pulp Fiction), goes on smooth and is reasonably long lasting. You definitely need to use a good top coat though, or else you'll end up finding rubs/streaks of color if you drag a nail across a book, papers, etc.

A HUGE downside for those of us in the USA - it's not sold at the Chanel counters here anymore. I swear that this color was the orginal one called Vamp, but the Vamp sold here now is a totally different color - a deep red/purple, metallic/shimmer, not the red/black creme that is Rouge Noir. I wish Chanel would sell both colors here and then there would be something for everyone. Clearly there is a loyal fan base for both.

It's a shame that I have to hunt it down on Ebay, hope it's not fake, and pay a ridiculously steep price for a nail polish (double the price of one of the already most over-priced brands around), stock up when I'm in Europe, or beg friends when they're going to bring me back a few bottles.

I have no common sense when it comes to this polish, and all the knock-offs I've tried just don't quite get it right. So I pay, pay, pay. Can't resist and it's a staple of my polish collection. I'm down to my last bottle right now, so I'm on the hunt again!

If you find it, try it - you'll love it. But know what you're getting into.

And Chanel - please - have some pity on all us Rouge Noir devotees in the US and bring it back!

on 10/29/2015 6:28:00 PM

Overpriced, overhyped, the color looks completely dated on the nail, plus there are about a million dupes out there for it.

It wasn't nearly as special as I thought it was going to be. And in some lighting it just looks black (a pet peeve of mine). I wouldn't buy this one again.

To say i am a frequent chanel customer would be such an understatement!!! Chanel is all i buy when it comes to make up and skincare!
When i first saw Rouge Noir years ago i fell in love instantly, its such a perfect, sexy, classy dark red.
When doing my nails i ALWAYS use a base coat, two coats of colour and a high shine top coat. One thing i will say about Rouge Noir is the end result of the colour on nails is slightly darker than it looks in the bottle. With two thick coats the result is almost black, which isnt really what i want.As dark as possible but with a strong tint of wine red is how i want it. This is achievable if you apply the first coat quite thinly,then make the second coat thicker.
The packaging as always with chanel is classic and sophisticated, which suites my taste. Colourful packaging e.g Benefit always look like teenagers make up to me
Yes you could argue its on the expensive side, but if your going to buy chanel this is expected. The only downfalls of this product is i find it chips quite easily,and for some reason doesnt seem to hold the shine for long,even with top coat i find it somewhat mattes after a day or so. And i like my nails super shiny, so i end up re doing them.
I continue to buy this over and over again,its the original classic dark red. Timeless and sexy, looks better when my nails are short and squared off.

on 3/5/2010 5:04:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

This polish is my absolute all-time favourite polish. I rarely wear anything else on my nails, even during the summer, and it's now become my "thing". The compliments this polish garners from complete strangers is unbelievable - random strangers in the supermarket, other diners in restaurants etc. You do pay a premium because it's Chanel but it is a quality polish. After 2 coats the colour payoff is amazing and I find that it lasts around 7-10 days (as long as I wear rubber gloves whilst doing the housework!) with Sticky base and S.V top coat. 3 coats works well but it looks more black than I prefer. I wouldn't recommend 1 coat unless you have a flawless application - no matter how hard I try, it still looks streaky. Whilst it looks fine with longer nails, I've found it looks classier when my nails are shorter. Would I repurchase? Ha! I keep back ups for my back ups (I currently have 7 boxes in my fridge...and no food), and I pray to God that Chanel never discontinues this polish - I'd be lost without it!

on 12/6/2009 4:02:00 AM

This is the classic vampy nail polish. I don't know why, or how, but Chanel nails colors always get the attention and compliments of other (even strangers) when they see it on my nails.It's so strange, becuase my other vampy favorites and even my Essie dupe does not get the attention from strangers at all.
................
It is a slightly jellyish blackened red with brown tones. Sometimes, you can even describe it as a little wine too! It is, again, the classiest vampy color that works on women of all ages. The formula is thicker than most nail polishes, but it somehow makes the application easier. Seriously, it is so easy to get that close but defined line you need with a dark nail color without the color getting on your fingers with this polish.
..................
Coats of polish:
With one coat, you get a red vampy, jelly look. But I don't recommend this unless you have godly application techniques because at one coat it can be uneven and even streaky.
With a second coat, the color becomes more opaque and even. This is what I usually go with, because it leaves a tiny bit of jellyness with that dark dried blood look. Chanel lacquers dries very fast too, so there is less waiting time between layers, making application faster.
A 3rd coat will give you complete opaque coverage, the color will be verging on almost-black, but still gorgeous. I really don't think a 3rd coat is necessary, 2 coats is gorgeous already.
......................
Packaging:
The usual beautiful Chanel packaging. It's great and classy, the square top comes off, and then you get the lid with the brush underneath. Pretty spill proof- as long as you don't thin it too much- it is unlikely to spill unless you flip it upside down (or it rolls down your leg, like for me once). The square top sucks though, does not stand traveling well, because it splits and the thing that holds it with the brush-lid detaches from the square top, making it a pain.
......................
Lasting Power:
The lasting power of all Chanel polishes suck. period. They chip like mad on me. However, I think because of this sucky lasting power, I never get stains from them, even when I'm too lazy to use a base coat (not recommended).
.......................
Conclusion:
The color is gorgeous and is my go-to classic vampy nail. Because of it's super awesome color, many companies have come out with dupes to this color. Essie Material Girl being one of them. However, strangely, no one cares for material girl even though it is almost exactly the same with several coats on, while everyone loves Rouge Noir. I swear Chanel puts voodoo in their polish. Application is easy and great, while lasting power sucks. Overall, this would be one of those awesome polishes you can slap on two quick coats of before a banquet and people will compliment you all throughout the night. It's great for those "I'm in a hurry but I still need to impress" times. That way, you don't quite need the lasting power.
........................
Repurchase?
Not the most special color as there are many dupes. But I will buy again since I'm half done with the bottle in less than a year (that's how much I use it), and because of the voodoo in it. Then again, I am also a brand-hoor and don't mind spending $$ on beautiful things.
I'm an NC25 Asian.

on 11/5/2012 9:28:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

I had to search for this......that being said I have now come to the understanding as to why this polish is so sought after. I adore DL polishes, they last forever and have the most interesting colors. My first from DL was "JWAR" and that is a true blood red. My second DL polish was "BB". It is a mulberry red and gorgeous as well. This Rouge Noir by Chanel is the perfect blackened blood red! I didn't think that Chanel could do what my HG polish could do.
This color is a good color in one coat, but two look so much better. It's darker than that "vamp" color they put out and Rouge Noir carries much more black to it, it has no shimmer or sparkle, just a bold creme that carries the color perfectly! It is my new favorite red that I'll wear on my fingers anytime of the year!
The brush is ok. It does the job without a lot of streaking. The formula is good. It dries fast and is exceptionally shiney! I was amazed after 5 days that the shine was still strong. I used a great top coat, but It does not matter what top coat you use if the polish is crap the polish will chip and wear away in minutes. It is like any polish, if you use brillo pads to clean anything, the polish will be destroyed. If I can wash a sink of dishes (with a sponge) and the color stays for the most part on the nail bed itself and I have a bit of wear on the edges, then the polish is worth it, this polish did that and survived! The shine did not dull either.
I had to search out this shade since they don't sell it at the counters anymore. I found it and bought it and I've worn it well. I had so many compliments I'm not sure I want to wear any other color this winter. I don't want to run out of this shade, so I'll save it for special occasions and use it then. No, my best friend may not use it on her toes, I know she will want to and this is not a color to hide! LOL

on 3/22/2012 3:19:00 PM

This is my all-time favourite nail polish. Nothing is as good for depth of colour, texture, or durability. I wear this for days on end without touch-ups, it looks classy and it goes with absolutely everything. Other deep reds don't even come close.

This is the only Chanel polish I own - because there is no dupe for this one. (Trust me, I've looked.)

on 10/13/2013 1:16:00 AM

I first bought Rouge Noir in the mid Nineties when it was called Vamp - it was the worst polish that I have ever purchased. I swear it started to chip before it even fully dried. I have been purchasing countless bottles of Revlon's Vixen since then. Last fall I purchased Chanel's Frenzy and the formula was flawless. This was certainly not the same formula I had last tried! Fast forward to this fall, and when my current bottle of Vixen was depleted I decided to try Rouge Noir. It is perfect! A better formula and better lasting power than Vixen, this polish lives up to its pedigree and its price tag.

Popular Polishes