Chanel Rouge Noir

Chanel Rouge Noir
CHANEL Rouge NoirRouge Noir

4.4

on 10/29/2015 6:28:00 PM

Overpriced, overhyped, the color looks completely dated on the nail, plus there are about a million dupes out there for it.

It wasn't nearly as special as I thought it was going to be. And in some lighting it just looks black (a pet peeve of mine). I wouldn't buy this one again.

Today, after beeing a MUA member for yeeeaaars, I am actually writing my 1st review :-)

So here goes: Chanel Rouge Noir nail polish.
Of course I checked the other reviews before. Very helpful was the one pointing out how much cash I would spend in trying to find a dupe. Yep, Essie Wicke, while very nice, just didnt do it. in comparison wicked looks "dead" on the nail, While very shiny it does not have that slightly translucent quality and the livelyness of the red somwhere deep in the base. It beats me how Chanel did it.

I am from Germany. The bottle here says "18 Rouge Noir"

Packaging & Handling:
Very classic, what makes Chanel polishes different from all the others is their dainty brush. Yes it is longer and more floppy than others. You have to hold the tiny round top with a kind of elegant grip.
When putting on your Chanel you cannot rush! The brush almost orders you to sit down on your beautiful butt and celebrate the whole application process. No sturdy brush to just swap it on. No Lady, either you do this right or your manicure is doomed.

Staying power:
Surprise, surprise! On my thin nails 4 days with almot no tip wear. Something happens on day 5 that just makes the polish come off in really big sheets.

Finish:
First application uneven, streaky. Second application and the magic sets in. Even, self levelling and very glossy!

Base Coat: P2, really cheap about 2,50 EUR
Top Coat: Sally Hansen Insta Dry about 7,95 EUR
Rouge Noir: 23,00 EUR
It seems to be all about between what base and top coat you sandwich your Chanel.

I hope this helps you make your decision. Could I live without it before, well yes. Can I live without it now? Well no :-)
It just makes you feel so elegant and sexy.

I am afraid this is the beginning of a Love for Chanel Polishes. Well you have been warned ;-)

Happy Polishing!

on 10/13/2013 1:16:00 AM

I first bought Rouge Noir in the mid Nineties when it was called Vamp - it was the worst polish that I have ever purchased. I swear it started to chip before it even fully dried. I have been purchasing countless bottles of Revlon's Vixen since then. Last fall I purchased Chanel's Frenzy and the formula was flawless. This was certainly not the same formula I had last tried! Fast forward to this fall, and when my current bottle of Vixen was depleted I decided to try Rouge Noir. It is perfect! A better formula and better lasting power than Vixen, this polish lives up to its pedigree and its price tag.

The best. Period.

on 1/19/2011 1:35:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

Love this nail polish. I first bought this after Pulp Fiction first came out, when I was a student, and it was the first top end nail polish I bought. The colour is great, with a fantastic shine/finish. You can tell this is a good quality polish. I usually use DS polish, but this just feels like a real luxury to use. Love it. Wish it wasn't so expensive, but I have re bought this and use it regularly on and off.

on 1/5/2010 5:30:00 PM

Beautiful colour. It looks amazing with my fair complexion and it is very classy. The staying power is amazing (I use it with a base and a top coat), it does not chip and the colour stays true (does not fade, does not change).

Like most Chanel products the quality is excellent. Very easy to apply. And the packaging is beautiful. Would definetely re-purchase.

on 11/11/2009 3:05:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

What can I add about this polish that hasn't already been said? As you know, it's a gorgeous blackened creme red that really is the epitome of vamp. After OPI's Lincoln Park After Dark, this is my favourite polish. The wear is fantastic (as it should be with the hefty price tag). I use three coats for optimum colour saturation and while I do experience tipwear, I've rarely had chips or cracks. I will say I think Chanel brushes can use a serious revamping. After using OPI's Prowide Brushes for so long, the Chanel brushes seem kind of old-fashioned.

I love Rouge Noir - it's just about the sexist polish there is.

I found that Chanels do *not* chip on my anymore when I use Chanel b/c (dc'd, of course) or SpaRitual Colorlock b/c. Those two basecoats have saved my Chanels!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I got this as a present, so Im glad I didnt have to shell out the money for this dissapointment! What a ripoff!
Granted, the color is great, and application is good if you use a basecoat...but only after an hour of wear it started chipping!!! I hardly had done anything in the meantime, basically rested my hands the whole time...
With a name like Chanel I would really expect a better quality polish! I have dirtcheap ones which NEVER chip!

on 10/12/2006 7:48:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

First of all, Rouge Noir IS different from Vamp; they are not the same shade. I own a bottle of each: Rouge Noir is a deep, dark, red creme, and is made in France; Vamp is a lighter shimmery mulberry shade, made in the USA. Both are beautiful and unique, but they are very different indeed.

In the bottle, Rouge Noir looks like every other shade of deep brownish red, and there's nothing special about it. But on your nails...WOW! The color is dark and rich with so much depth to it, just like blood in the sunlight, black cherry indoors, and black in candlelight. It's a high-maintenance color, all right (don't let that intimidate you!), but the formula is perfect: not runny, not goopy, and the brush is easy to control. I didn't find it to be especially streaky, but I did need two good coats for an even application. It lasted a week before I took it off, nary a chip (just a little wear at the tips). I wore it to Las Vegas and a companion (who never notices things like what polish someone has on) complimented me and remarked that he'd never seen a color like it before.

I'm not sure if Rouge Noir is sold at the Chanel counters here in the USA (I got mine online), but it is well worth looking for if you want a really dark, glamorous shade. Beautiful!

Popular Polishes