DHC Olive Soap

DHC Olive Soap

3.2

water, sucrose, olea europaea (olive) fruit oil, lauric acid, myristic acid, stearic acid, glycerin, sodium hydroxide, olea europaea (olive) leaf extract, palmitic acid, behenic acid, tetrasodium etidronate 6/8/09

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This is one of the gazillion DHC samples I'm currently using up and reviewing. I've used it every day for the past 2 weeks and I'm very impressed!

I normally use DHC's Pore Face Wash, which smells great but leaves my skin feeling a little tight - this does nothing of the sort. It foams up very well and leaves my skin feeling clean and fresh without any of the drying feeling I get from most cleansers. No tightness at all, even on days when I was lazy and skipped the moisturizer! It also helped clear up a random breakout I'd been having for weeks.

I love that the soap is completely clear and see-through - I'm not sure why, I find it oddly satisfying. It isn't scented, which I can appreciate.

The sample size lasted me 2 whole weeks of daily use (including three times where I was travelling and chose to use it as a body soap too - it was great and I was squeaky clean - literally), but I could probably have extended it to three weeks if I'd been more careful. I'm not sure how it compares to the mini size that you can buy on the DHC website.

Would probably repurchase for travel, but at the moment I've got a stock of minis to get through.

No fragrance which is good however It made my skin very tight and dry. Somehow felt burning on my face and eyes even when I tried like heck to avoid it near my eyes. I mean really burned. I love bar soaps for my face this one is so not worth it.

on 10/28/2012 11:06:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I got this in a sample and finally went around to using it when someone recommended I try olive soaps to beat my breakouts. I had been reacting to some products recently and when I started using this I really started to clear up. My skin felt soft and clean and the breakouts started to disappear!! I couldn't have a totally unbiased review because I was still using other products that I didn't know if they had caused reactions as well. And also sometimes I just get bumps just because, no matter what I use. And since I only have a sample I can only use it so many times. But since getting rid of the trouble products totally and sticking to this, I really see a difference. I don't know that it's good for acne prone skin, but it seemed to be helping me, maybe because of the acids in there which can be beneficial. But it doesn't make me dry or oily and actually makes my skin so moisturized and glowing (I actually don't have a moisturizer I can trust right now, so many days or nights I go without and I still don't feel dry!! AHH! So amazing!)

I feel that it takes off my makeup decently, though you need an eye makeup remover, but with so many junky products out there this is such a relief. I like the lauric acid in there, I find those and enzymes are the best for me. I'm definitely thinking of buying it for real, I just have sooo many other products around that I have to use first, if they are safe enough :| Scared to even try. If I react to any of them that's it, it will be DHC for me!

Update: I wrote this review a long time ago and I had finished the whole sample I had. Years later I did repurchase this in another sample size as well as the mild soap which I tried much later and found it drying upon first use. They're almost the same to me, btw, I don't see a difference. But I am feeling like my barrier is too compromised and soaps/foaming products may not be for me. I think my skin isn't as bad as it was but it's prone to over drying. I moisturize more regularly now so it's hard to tell how drying a product is right after use, however I don't think I could use this now without a moisturizer like I did then. I put jojoba oil on my face right after because I had a feeling this would make me tight. During washing, I was feeling a more squeaky clean feel which I don't like. I have fears about soaps in any cleanser now. I'm not sure if I could recommend this for oily people, I think over stripping is bad for any skin type. And I probably won't use it enough just to get a bad reaction and write a worse review. I'll probably just not use it. I also tried the oil cleanser which is ok and I like the idea but I'm looking for a better one for me to use as part of a two cleanse method.

on 1/11/2012 10:39:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

I enjoy using this soap in the morning it refreshes my skin cleanses and doesn't leave my skin tight.

on 9/30/2011 12:40:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I love the olive soap. it cleanses gently and I feel really clean and comfortable. Did not dry out my skin and this is the first face soap that I actually like. this is better than their mild soap.

Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

This soap, surprisingly, disappointed me. I'm a DHC fan and love, love, love their Mild Soap. I thought I would get similar results with the Olive Soap. Unfortunately, not. It left my dry skin - well - dry and that's the disappointing part. It cleanses very well and rinsed off nicely not leaving any residue whatsoever. But, in the process, it seemed to strip the moisture away, too. Since I got this as a sample, I'm glad I didn't waste any funds on it. I won't be purchasing it. I'll stick with the Mild Soap and the Facial Scrub.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a very expensive bar of soap for starters. When I got the cardboard package, I thought the bar would be more "bath size" as opposed to "hand size." The bar is clear and colorlerss with some ethereal shimmer running through it. Very pretty. No fragrance. Two big gripes, besides the price. It made my skin very tight and dry. It burned my eyes even when I tried like heck to avoid it near my eyes. I mean really burned. Even in 90 degree weather this was way too drying. It did however clean well. I am in my early fifties and have aging but normal skin.

on 6/17/2009 3:00:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

This soap really suprised me, I initally was using the mild soap which totally dried my face out. This Soap is non drying to the skin, but cleans it squeeky clean. I absoultly love knowing that I'm cleaning my skin with a product that has coenzym q10 in it. I definetly would repurchase this soap, its a little expensive about 22 dollars, but it seems like its going to last a long time, so thats good..

on 5/30/2009 2:20:00 PM

This soap is a pleasure to use. From the moment the DHC package arrives & you see the exquisite packaging of the soap, to the nth time of lathering up & buffing it around with an Asian washcloth, then rinsing it off to uncover totally SOFT & SMOOTH skin. The idea of using soap was not initially appealing to me, at all. But, I've reordered this soap several times & will continue to do so. It is that good.

I have been using this product for a couple of years now and recently ran out and started using some sample products I had and immediately started breaking out. I love this soap and will make sure that I am never without it again. It might seem expensive but this soap easily lasted me a year. It has a great lather, almost no scent and has not irritated my sensitive skin at all. I have combination/dry skin and this soap has been the best for me. I love it!