La Maison de la Vanille Vanille Noire du Mexique

3.8

on 10/1/2008 7:16:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I spray this on as I'm getting dressed for work. At work I sit quietly in my office and hear most people at the corridor discussing on what that nice smell is. One of them eventually comes in to my office and says "so this is where that nice smell is coming from".

Yes, Vanille Noire du Mexique's sillage is MASSIVE. There is not a day when I have this on that no one asks me what I'm wearing. It is a lovely vanilla scent, sweet and spicy and one that everyone will agree on as being a pleasant scent.

Vanilla's are usually warm and are better worn in cooler weather but this has got something refreshing about it at the same time. It starts off with some spice, reminiscent of Zenzero to my nose but in a friendlier way, then all the spice smooths out and turns in to a light sweet vanilla. The fragrance is generally light, bright and quite transparent despite the massive sillage.

Downside is that it's a little too clean and feminine for me. After wearing this for a day, I dont feel quite myself. I come home and start rummaging through my fragrances looking for something with a bit more "kick" or "edge" to it. I also dont like the usual comment I get which is "I smell chocolate". Chocolate is nice but I dont want to smell like it (and to my nose it does not smell like chocolate!).

Others seem to have commented that this does not last but it does indeed on me. It last better than my Passage d'Enfer, Hiris and Le Chevrefeuille. Sprayed on before work it last until about lunch time.

Update: I dont really reach for this anymore. It's too sweet and feminine for my liking. It's not "me".

on 3/30/2008 3:23:00 AM

This reminds me of BPAL Snake Oil, only not as sweet and less of the "cola" note. It's powdery and spicy, and I have to admit, it takes awhile to love. I got it expecting a Pink Sugar dupe. Upon first sniff, I was horrified at the amount of spice and powder, I liked both notes, but I wanted my vanilla perfume to smell like...vanilla. As in the extract. There's a reason I'm hopelessly in love with the CSP line and iPDF Vaniglia del Madagascar. I like my vanillas uncomplicated and sweet.

While it shocked me at first, I grew to love it. After a few wearings, I was hooked. This is not too spicy, the powdery note is bearable, and everything just works together. It's not a boring vanilla by any means. It's dry and complex enough to not be generic but might be a tad too sweet and powdery for a man. I do wish the bottle wasn't opaque, though. It's as if CSP and La Maison de Vanille both got together and conspired to drive me nuts not knowing how much of their precious juice is left in my bottles.

One of the best La Maisons--main complaints are the deliciously spicy topnotes disappear in a few minutes, leaving just the sweet vanilla base behind; staying power is also not too good, about 4 hours max. But for the price, who am I to complain, right? Otherwise a stellar vanilla scent.

on 3/29/2004 11:59:00 PM

I received a bottle of this in a wonderful swap recently. It's a very nice vanilla scent, but it reminds me too much of shalimar. I think it smells like tamed shalimar with lots of vanilla. I also feel it's a little too sharp. I think it would smell (to me) much better if it was a little warmer and sweeter and less powdery and a little buttery. I think I'm going to try Madagascar.

Popular Fragrances