La Maison de la Vanille Vanille Noire du Mexique

No Image

4.2

on 9/22/2008 3:46:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

One of the finest vanillas i have smelt so far. This is refined and not musky. Delicately sweet and spicy without being cloying. It is a better version of Allysa Ashley's Vanilla. One of the fewest vanillas that doesn't give me a headache. It is yummy without being too foody. I prefer this to Lavanila's Pure Vanilla which is a floral vanilla to my nose.

on 8/2/2008 10:22:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

So very like my beloved Vanille del Madagascar that I had to try them side by side. Madagascar has more smoke than this, but both are a touch smokey and both are just gorgeous. As other reviewers has stated, it's not a foody vanilla, as far as vanilla can be not foody. The added notes aren't obvious, nor can you separate them out, but what you end up with is a velvety, dark vanilla with some indefinable elegance, some feeling of mystery and comfort in the same song. Gorgeous.

Woot! Scored one from Sephora online sale for $5. I am not a fan of patchouli, but it actually gives Vanille Noire du Mexique a nice smokey, bittersweet quality. Love it! Of all the LMDV fragrances, Noire is my favorite. Lasting power is about 3 hours. UPDATE: I have to up this to five lippies. This is the kind of scent that I want to trail me in a room.

Description from Sephora is below, since I am inept at describing fragrances. :)

Vanille Noire du Mexique
Elegant and refined, this powdery fragrance has sparkling top notes of bergamot soothed with the richness of rose, jasmine, iris, and patchouli.

Notes:
Bergamot, Rose, Jasmine, Vanilla, Iris, Opoponax, Patchouli.

Style:
Mysterious. Refined. Seductive.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is utterly gourmand, sweet, velvety, and rich. The vanilla in this is a bit more buttery (more "french vanilla") than many. It does not smell like you spritzed on vanilla extract. The base notes are rich and chocolatey. It smells like a decadent dessert, and keeps on going strong, with only a little fading. The scent stays true, perhaps getting a bit more coffee-like as time progresses. Major gripe: the silver enamel on the bottles peels and chips and leaves glitter on your hands.

on 11/25/2006 12:06:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a nice fragrance and the price is just right.

It's a rich sweet and smoky blend of dark spicy vanilla, some top floral notes and patchouli in the base. Kind of vanilla for grown ups.

However, I will not be purchasing a bottle, because unfortunately the dry down on my skin was somewhat synthetic/plasticky/cheap smelling.

on 8/8/2005 6:51:00 AM

This is an absolutely gorgeous, sofisticated vanilla, my favourite of the LMdV line (followed by Sauvage de Madagascar). It's a powdery vanilla scent that has just enough spice and a smokey kick to keep it from being too sweet. I do wish it was an EDP instead of EDT with more lasting power, but this lasts several hours on me. Of course it will evaporate faster in the summer heat, but it has more lasting power than most of the CSP fragrances. These are also more sophisticated vanillas than CSP. The dry down of Mexique is intriguing, melting into a smooth vanilla w/ a little smokiness still coming through. I will definitely be buying this again, and getting the lotion to go with it. The price can't be beat for this complex a scent, IMHO.

This was sort of a disappointment. It's too soft on my skin and I don't pick up anything more than a teensy bit of spice and vanilla. In fact, it's very close to TBS's Vanilla. Which is cheaper.

on 12/3/2004 6:46:00 AM

I am shocked at how much I like this. I actually bought it to bring my Beauty Habit order over the $100 mark to qualify for free shipping. Not the best reason to buy a perfume, but the truth must be told. It is surprisingly gorgeous. With all the perfumes I have in the stratospheric price range, this little quite inexpensive scent calls my name many mornings. It is also a good before bed fragrance. Layered with a chocolate or vanilla lotion, it is sublime. I have been pairing it with either Kiehl's Vanilla lotion or Jaqua Chocolate body butter to bring out either of those notes a bit more. My husband, who almost never comments on my perfumes, has often said how great this smells, without prompting by the usual my wrist to his nose thing I normally do. Unsolicited remarks from him are as rare as hen's teeth. This one always gets noticed. The sillage is good although the staying power is not excellent. It definitely needs a few mid-day spritzes to revitalize. I am more than happy to do this and very pleased with this purchase. Now I want more in this line.

on 10/18/2004 5:54:00 AM

Ok ya'll know I have a black vanilla hating heart. BUT this noire stuff is actually not half bad. At first I though ok this is the exact same as CSP Amour de Cocoa which in theory, think is good but get tired of people saying "Hey have you been baking? You smell like a big walking cookie" After a few minutes I thought"hMM no it's the exact same as lea St. Barths" but it's not as Lea St. Barthy. It seems to be a good combo betweem the too. Ok, so I'm not going to run out and buy a big bottle. But I did decide to try another one in this line. Shocking I know!

on 8/4/2004 9:09:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I like all of the LMdV's. I think each one is unique and lovely. This one is the emptiest of my set of 5 though. I find this a little sweeter and less floral than tahiti, a little more edible smelling. It has a bit of spice to it but is still clear and not sickening.

Popular Fragrances