La Maison de la Vanille Vanille Noire du Mexique

No Image

3.9

on 12/4/2011 6:27:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I am a big fan of vanilla in all its forms - from overly sweet and sugary to spicy and oriental. This, on me, was powdery, much to powdery. Its like my chemistry ate up everything else in the fragrance. I did not find it warm and inviting at all, more like old lady after-bath powder (translate: Jean Nate). For reference, my go-to scents include: Lolita Lempicka, Coco Mlle, Hugo Deep Red, BBW warm vanilla sugar, Vanilla Lace...Also, while the container is fun and different and ..shiny (come on ladies, who doesnt love shiny), I dislike that you cannot see usage, especially since this is a scent I quickly put up for swap.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

Very unique just like the other vanilles. Itīs an elegant, misterious, dark type of vanila. Itīs more mature, I believe the jasmine note makes it more comfortable, more wearable than the other ones. But I still love Sauvage du Madasgacar. The evolution on the skin is what I find very interesting about these fragrances. Itīs amazing to see how they really change everytime on the skin. So try it out on your skin before you dislike it completely.

Liked this at first, the softness & fullness together, but ev'time I wore it it smelled more like vanilla cookies, a bit too sweet.

on 12/27/2008 12:17:00 PM

I agree that this smells a bit like a light version of Shalimar, which isn't a bad thing--no funky leather or mysterious balsams to challenge you, just the powdery-sweet bits. Perfume should sometimes be easy and comfortable. I also agree with the review at 1000scents that the opening is reminiscent of Tocade--sweet rose-vanilla brightened by bergamot. Powder-haters be warned, but otherwise, this is easy to love. Not too sweet, just hints at foodiness, perhaps a bit more strongly than the vanillic Guerlains, but still grown-up enough for me to wear unhesitatingly.

on 8/2/2008 10:22:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

So very like my beloved Vanille del Madagascar that I had to try them side by side. Madagascar has more smoke than this, but both are a touch smokey and both are just gorgeous. As other reviewers has stated, it's not a foody vanilla, as far as vanilla can be not foody. The added notes aren't obvious, nor can you separate them out, but what you end up with is a velvety, dark vanilla with some indefinable elegance, some feeling of mystery and comfort in the same song. Gorgeous.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I love Mexique, just as well as I love all of the others in the La Maison de la Vanille line. It's an incredibly unique interpretation of vanilla. The entire line is a vanilla-lovers dream. At least, it is on my part ;). Strangely enough, Mexique smelled like citrus dish-washing soap mixed with vanilla shampoo at first spray. I instantly hated it. After a while, I kept getting wafts of something smoky and rich. The dry down of Mexique took me away! It's deep and soft, full of delicious vanilla. I get the most out of the bergamot at first, and then after a few minutes I can pick out a beautifully blended aura of rose, iris, and patchouli and what must be the opoponax that makes it smell so smoky. I can't really detect any jasmine note, unfortunately, because I do love jasmine. I usually consider fragrances with a lot of vanilla to be too heavy for summer, but this one can be worn through summer during the day or even the night. I'd buy this over and over again!

Notes as mentioned on Sephora:
Bergamot, Rose, Jasmine, Vanilla, Iris, Opoponax, Patchouli.

Woot! Scored one from Sephora online sale for $5. I am not a fan of patchouli, but it actually gives Vanille Noire du Mexique a nice smokey, bittersweet quality. Love it! Of all the LMDV fragrances, Noire is my favorite. Lasting power is about 3 hours. UPDATE: I have to up this to five lippies. This is the kind of scent that I want to trail me in a room.

Description from Sephora is below, since I am inept at describing fragrances. :)

Vanille Noire du Mexique
Elegant and refined, this powdery fragrance has sparkling top notes of bergamot soothed with the richness of rose, jasmine, iris, and patchouli.

Notes:
Bergamot, Rose, Jasmine, Vanilla, Iris, Opoponax, Patchouli.

Style:
Mysterious. Refined. Seductive.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love the scent of vanilla and I have many vanilla fragrances but this is one is terribly off-putting. It smells exactly like Glade air freshener in the plain blue can sold in Canada in the early nineties. I don't even know if the Glade product is still sold. All I know is my ex-boyfriend used to spray it all over his home after doing his weekly housekeeping. I can't wear this. Oh, and it smells remarkably like Lavanila Pure Vanilla.

on 12/16/2007 7:33:00 PM

Vanille Noire du Mexique, it doesn't get much better than this as far as vanilla's go. The patchouli keeps the vanilla from getting too sweet and the bergamot adds a sparkling twist. Add the sensuality of rose jasmine and iris and something magical happens. I get complimented on this every single time I wear it, by both men and women. It's so well blended. As it dries down it gets softer and more powdery, yet never loses it's original complexity. This has great throw and lasts an amazingly long time on me. I'm a huge fan of La Maison de la Vanille scents. I think it's the best line for vanilla lovers. Check out my review for Givree des Antilles as well. LOVE!!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine

This is a nice vanilla, not very heavy, a combo of vanilla, rose, jasmine and gentle incense, with a hint of iris, which makes it a bit powdery. It is one of the best in the La Maison de la Vanille line. The only thing is that in the drydown it tends to get this sort of plastic note, which I didn't like, hence the 3 lippies. It might work on others though. Notes include: vanilla, rose, jasmine, iris, tonka bean, bergamot.

Popular Fragrances