La Maison de la Vanille Vanille Noire du Mexique

Filtered by skin type : Normal
No Image

4.2

Mmmm, sultry.
I must confess I'm drawn to La Maison de la Vanille fragrances by the exotic French names evoking faraway warm places, and by the lovely aluminium bottles. About the scents, well, they all have those festive, brilliant opening notes but sadly they all end smelling the same to my nose.
About this one, in particular: well, this is a "different" vanilla, in that it won't convey that peculiar foody note so many vanillas have. Mexique tones down the vanilla beans among meaty petals of rich flowers like rose, jasmine and iris, thus giving the fragrance a sophisticated, rich and elegant edge. The rose, the most prominent flower here, also creates a light smokey effect to my nose.
It's an enveloping charming fragrance, one that won't cloy or ennoy anyone. In fact, it's lovely. About the staying power, well I don't smell much after one hour, but I had people comment on my scent (which happens rarely) well after 3 hours, so it must have sillage.
One lippie off because, anyway, La Maison doesn't use real vanilla beans but prefers the cheaper synthetic version, and my nose recognizes that from a distance.

on 9/22/2008 3:46:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

One of the finest vanillas i have smelt so far. This is refined and not musky. Delicately sweet and spicy without being cloying. It is a better version of Allysa Ashley's Vanilla. One of the fewest vanillas that doesn't give me a headache. It is yummy without being too foody. I prefer this to Lavanila's Pure Vanilla which is a floral vanilla to my nose.

on 6/6/2008 2:16:00 PM

This is by far one of the sexiest vanilla fragrances around. But, this ain't your cupcake vanilla, this is spicy vanilla! It's a little chocolatey with a dry-musk note, both of which are smoothed out by the creamy vanilla. I'd wear this in summer, fall or winter.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

I got this fragrance from Sephora and it has turned into one of my favorites! Definite vanilla, with a bit of a chocolate musk. It's warm and sensual, slightly sweet but not sickenly so. Stays on for hours and doesn't give me that 'perfume headache. Light enough for day use and sexy enough for evening use. Pretty cheap for 10 bucks a bottle. Will repurchase!!

on 11/25/2006 12:06:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a nice fragrance and the price is just right.

It's a rich sweet and smoky blend of dark spicy vanilla, some top floral notes and patchouli in the base. Kind of vanilla for grown ups.

However, I will not be purchasing a bottle, because unfortunately the dry down on my skin was somewhat synthetic/plasticky/cheap smelling.

on 9/23/2006 2:41:00 PM

A darker ,slightly chocolate vanilla with a light yet spicy rose note.

on 10/27/2005 8:21:00 PM

All I can say is there is way too much hype on this.
I was not impressed at all.
There's just not enough of something in this scent.
It's missing so much,it's rather boring.
There is nothing here to make me crave wearing this again.
Blah.
Sorry.
It's not awful, it's just bland.

I received a bottle of Vanille Noire du Mexique in a swap and I've been really enjoying it! It's a complex, creamy vanilla with a spicy/peppery kick. In my personal opinion it is not as foody as other vanilla centered scents, but I did once hear a comment that 'something smelled like good, roasted marshmallows'. When I revealed it might be me, they admitted that I was indeed the source, but that it smelled great! A romantic interest found it "amazing". I feel it also has potential to be combined, to give a creamier or sweeter note to another scent.

on 2/27/2005 3:14:00 PM

I'm not traditionally a vanilla person but this grew on me. I got used to smelling it and missed it if I didn't put it on. It is soft, simple, smooth and easy. All without coming off as childish or drugstore style. Good for layering with other scents.

This is one of my favorite scents that garners ample compliments.

With notes of vanilla, opopanax, iris, tonka bean, patchouli, rose & jasmine. A pleasant waft of sweetness countered perfectly with a secret spice that adds just the right note. A very refined & elegant scent that wears exceedingly well.

Reminiscent of soft balmy romantic evenings over a candlelit dinner with a cozy fire waving in the hearth.

continued >>