4.5

package quality

price range

Reviews

2 months ago

I initially liked Chesnut but found that the pink brown color turned a bit orange on me. It was more apparent when I use it to fill my lips as a base for lipstick. While I do not like the color, I found the product glided smoothly on my lips with no tugging and it did not bleed the way MAC's lip liner in Whirl softens and blurs thru the day. I would not buy the color again but would try other Laura Mercier liners.

About reviewer (115 reviews)

SkinCombination, Olive

10 years ago

It seems like I always come back to this lip liner. My favorite combo right now is MAC's slimeshine in Gentle Simmer then I line with the Chestnut liner. It looks so good!!

About reviewer (29 reviews)

SkinOther, Other, Not Sure

HairOther, Other, Other

EyesOther

3.0

11 years ago

This is quite an expensive product for what is just above average texture. The shade is a natural bitten lips shade that would most probably suit most. I like to apply a lip liner all over my lips and this is just too dark for me to do that. On me, it looks a bitten red, it doesn't look brown in any way whatsoever so the name chesnut is a little misleading. I have a warm, goldish complexion. The texture is smooth but quite thin. I would like it to be creamier and longer lasting. Lip plumping properties would make it even better. There are better lip liners out there but it wouldn't be an awful buy just an emergency back up for when your HG liner runs out IMO.

About reviewer (149 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinCombination, Medium, Not Sure

HairBrown, Straight, Fine

EyesGreen

3.0

12 years ago

Got this as a sample. It's too dark for my NC25 skin. Layered with lipstick it seems more "night" than I'm used to. The texture is too hard for my liking.

About reviewer (120 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBlack, Straight, Medium

13 years ago

I was impressed with this lipliner. Chestnut is a rosy chocolate color. A little on the dark side, but really goes well with my nc30 skintone. I line my lips and then blend it all over. Super pretty. Pencil goes on super smoothly with lots of pigment and no tugging. It retails for $16 and is excellent quality. I took off one point for price and packaging. Its just a standard pencil you have to sharpen.

About reviewer (4641 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinAcne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

HairBrunette, Other, Other

13 years ago

About Me: LLL, NC20, LM Warm Ivory, Shiseido O20, warm toned, over 40 skin, combo/dry, easily irritated, allergic, prone to clogged pores from silicone-based products About Product: Goes on smoothly, not too hard, good color for most of my lipsticks. I use the LM Natural shade if I'm wearing a light shade of lipstick.

About reviewer (41 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinCombination, Fair

EyesGreen

14 years ago

Laura Mercier's Lip Liner in "Chestnut" comes in a close second to my all time favorite liner, MAC "Whirl". Chestnut is about a shade darker, though; great for when I want to be a bit more dramatic, but not over the top. It glides on smoothly, has decent staying power, and not a hint of orange (unlike MAC "Spice"). For the record, I'm blonde, blue eyed, tanned, and have medium pigmented lips.

About reviewer (174 reviews)

SkinDry, Tan, Not Sure

HairBlond, Other, Other

14 years ago

I really like this lipliner, but instead of it being a mauvey color on me, it is a very brownish orange pink, if there is such a shade. I like it okay with certain lip sticks, but a lot of the time, it is too warm on me. I use it with the Laura Mercier lipsticks the MA used on me with this particular liner. I do not find myself reaching for it all the time though.

About reviewer (116 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinCombination

14 years ago

I received this as part of a Laura Mercier "look" from Neiman Marcus, and although I was ok with using my Shiseido lip liner in cocoa, I was so impressed with this! Goes on smooth, yet not so soft that I always need to sharpen it. It's a beutiful brown-bronze color on me -the perfect "your lips but better" look for my highly pigmented pink-brown lips. I just love that it is so natural that it goes with absolutely all my lipsticks and lip glosses, giving my lips definition without making them stand out. I find it better than the Shiseido color, which is slightly orangy. So all in all perfect for daytime use. I still love my Bobbi Brown Plum liner for more dramatic evening looks.

About reviewer (79 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinSensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

HairBrown, Straight, Medium

15 years ago

I think I may have purchased about twenty Lipliners in the past six months looking for a nude/pink to wear with my clear and light pink glosses. I was starting to think there was no such thing and that I must have strange colored lips. Thanks to MUA I found LM - chestnut. When When I first put it on it looks a little brown, but add my L/G or L/S and its just PERFECT. I agree its a little small but I dont think I'll ever be without this L/L. It also goes on very smoothly and no traveling over my lip line. UPDATE: Just a little too brown for me. My HG - Shiseido - Mauve Brown. Won't ever be without it.

About reviewer (31 reviews)

SkinVery Oily