Pureology Pureology Hydrate Shampoo

Pureology Pureology Hydrate Shampoo

3.7

Not tested on animals

Water, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Glycol Distearate, Glycereth-26, Decyl Glucoside, Fragrance, PPG-5-Ceteth-20, Divinyldimethicone/Dimethicone Copolymer, Amodimethicone, Polyquaternium-7, Polyquaternium-10, Methylparaben, Propylene Glycol, PEG-55 Propylene Glycol Oleate, Carbomer, Linalool, C11-15 Pareth-7, Limonene, Glycerin, Trideceth-12, Laureth-9, Geraniol, C12-13 Pareth-23, C12-13 Pareth-3, Hydroxypropyltrimonium Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Wheat Amino Acids, CI 60730/Ext. Violet 2, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Methylisothiazolinone, Hydrolyzed Oats, Hydrolyzed Oat Protein, Citric Acid, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-Di-T-Butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Benzophenone-4, Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil/Sunflower Seed Oil, Fusanus Spicatus Wood Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ascorbic Acid, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Camellia Sinensis Extract/Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Melanin, Helianthus Annuus Seed Extract/Sunflower Seed Extract, Rosa Centifolia Extract/Rosa Centifolia Flower Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Extract/Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Sodium Hydroxide

on 7/2/2016 2:33:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Well, this WAS a great shampoo until L'Oreal bought it out in 2007. Now it's got alcohol, parabens and the very first ingredient is water?!?!
Not so much any more :(
Let me assure you that L'Oreal cares more about profits than purity!

To begin with, I'm a shampoo/conditioner your hair everyday kind of girl. I take a 1 day break on the weekends, but I really like the feeling of washing my hair in the shower, and its the only way I rfeel like I wake up in the mornings.

This, of course, is not good for my dry/colored hair. But since I do shampoo everyday, I switched over to drug store brand many years ago because the cost of buying salon shampoo/conditioner for everyday use was just way too much for my long hair. Plus, i never really felt that much of a difference using salon brands.

My hairdresser naturally would give me a hard time that I used drugstore brands, and I explained to her that with the amount of conditioner I used daily, it just didn't make sense for me to buy salon brands. She told me that her philosophy was that the shampoo was actually more key than the conditioner, because regular shampoos were usually harsh. It was important to get sulfate free for colored hair. So I decided to try it out. She recommended the Hydrate shampoo, and I've used it now in combination with my Dove conditioner for two days, and its amazing the difference in texture of my hair. It's softer and has more body too.

This is also concentrated, so you use very little and add water to get it to lather up.

I understand that some people have complained that the product builds up. I've only used for two days now, so I haven't seen that yet, but regardless I always clarify my hair once a week with "Sunday" Shampoo by Bumble, and then follow with a deep condition by a high end product ( I do splurge on my weekly treatment).

To Read all 401 Reviews, Login or Join

on 6/29/2016 1:27:00 PM

My hair is colored and has been through much abuse in the last 13 years. I'm a redhead and beyond picky when it comes to shampoo and conditioner. They have to live up to some pretty strong requirements. I wash my hair every other day. There was a time not so long ago when I regularly used this shampoo coupled with its matching conditioner and they worked just fine. However, I was going to a different hairstylist at the time, and the brand of hair color she used was different than what is used on my hair now. The shampoo feels like it leaves a light deposit of something on my hair, and my hair feels drier, heavier, and somewhat coated when I blow dry. It's not a complete disaster, as my hair is pretty resilient and can still take some abuse.The smell is really nice, but that's about it. It's certainly possible that the formula changed in recent years, as can happen to many products. I bought a bottle of this to see how it fared. However, after I'm done with it, I'll continue to use Elumen Wash by Goldwell.

on 5/7/2016 3:19:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

A small amount is needed to lather your hair and it cleans thoroughly without stripping oils.

I've used this and its companion conditioner for years

on 4/11/2016 9:39:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

My hair, unfortunately, LOVES this shampoo.

My hair is bra strap length, curly/wavy, fine, normal to dry, with VERY dry and split ends. A lot of shampoos either aren't moisturizing enough, build up over time, or cause my scalp to start flaking. This is the ONLY shampoo I have ever been able to use for years on end without needing to do any clarifying treatments. I usually wash my hair every other day, and in the Caribbean I was able to wash my hair with this shampoo every day without my hair drying out. I have honestly used this shampoo in dry climates, super humid climates, hard water, soft water, warm weather, freezing weather . . . and it has always been great.

This shampoo moisturizes my hair without causing any build up. I am so impressed with it and also upset because even buying it during liter bottle sales is quite pricey. I also don't love the packaging and think that the labels need to be much larger in order to differentiate between shampoo and conditioner in the shower better.

I use this in conjunction with the Hydrate conditioner, but for my hair I like the Precious Oil conditioner best of all.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I really like this shampoo. I really struggle with dry ends and oily roots. This does a good job of handling both without stripping color. I have a rotation of this shampoo with Hydrate Light conditioner, the Purify shampoo with Hydrate Light conditioner, and Malibu C scalp shampoo with their hard water conditioner. I shampoo every other day, generally, and rotate through each combo and it keeps my scalp healthy and my ends from being fried, without build up or stripping color.

It takes a pretty small amount of this (about a nickel size for my bra-strap length hair) to get the job done. I spread it around a little and then add a little water to get it sudsing up. It works into an awesome lather - you do not need to add more shampoo, just keep adding water!

Very happy with this. I may try the Hydrate Light shampoo this summer, depending on how this holds up in the Florida summer.

on 3/19/2016 6:16:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I think this might be my last time buying this.I have to color my hair, unless I will look like white trash, all grey and gross, yuck!So, after purchasing other products I was recommended this from past hairdressers.I have red hair, so keep in mind red pigment does not retain color that long.

Here are some pros and cons:

pros:
Leaves your hair soft, but only for a few days, cuticle will buildup
Smells ok
Does not have any sulfates(see cons too)
comes in different varities

cons:
does not get the buildup out(the cleaners in most shampoos have this to clean hair, but its also the same ingredient to wash floors in mechanic shops)
expensive
you cant retain color for long depending on what color product from salon used or haircolor from a box.see your hairdresser.

so, i might try something else.
its around 60 bucks for both

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Smells great, effective, I love my hair !

on 1/28/2016 11:52:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have been using this shampoo, exclusively when possible, for about three years, and when I do wind up using other shampoos, I can tell the difference immediately. I have long, fine, wavy hair that I have always colored, so moisture is important to me. This shampoo (and its companion conditioner) leave my hair clean and then moisturized. I can comb it without tangles and it dries soft and not heavy. The shampoo has a nice, fresh smell, and my hair doesn't feel stripped after using it.

I hope it's never discontinued!

on 10/29/2015 2:44:00 PM

I was just recommended Pureology by my hairdresser. I bought the works, shampoo, conditioner, 21 Formula, mousse, and hairsray. IF you like heavily scented products that really don't do anything, then by all means, throw away your money. Me - I'm trying to see if my hairdresser will take this crap back.

Popular Shampoos