MAC Viva Glam I - the original

MAC Viva Glam I - the original

4.6

Octyldodecanol, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Silica, Tricaprylyl Citrate, Ozokerite, Isononyl Isononanoate, Paraffin, Phenyl Trimethicone, Microcrystalline Wax\Cera Microcristallina\Cire Microcristalline, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax\Cera Carnauba\Cire De Carnauba Ascorbyl Palmitate, Tocopherol, Vanillin, Acrylates Copolymer, Polyethylene Terephthalate, Stearyl Stearoyl Stearate [ /- Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Blue 1 Lake, Carmine, Red 6, Red 6 Lake, Red 7 Lake, Red 21 Lake, Red 28 Lake, Red 30 Lake, Red 33 Lake, Yellow 5 Lake, Yellow 6 lake, Yellow 10 Lake]

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

First a rant: This was 1 of my first MAC lippies (along w plastique, "O," & Lust lipglass. I don't have the originals I've replaced them a few times coz that was when I was 18 first going to a free standing MAC store in Kansas City. That was back when MAC sold the image of not testing on animals we test of humans I distinctly remember & MAC was all races all genders all ages not the McDonald's of the makeup world where every mall has MAC & velvet teddy & whirl are standard issue that every teen owns. What happened to Ricky martin, Elton John, & RuPaul I realize they got Caitlyn that's super cool but when did MAC lose its edginess & become a safe company resting on its figurative laurels a$$ //rant over now over to the beautiful perfect lipstick that is viva glam!!!

I've got this in the "Enchanted Eve Palette/Viva Glam" from xmas 2015 (iirc) it has viva glam I, viva glam II, & viva glam V (all of the best 1s except for celeb 1s imho). It's lacking a lip brush so if I was reviewing this as a palette I'd deduct a lippie but this is for the lipstick so I voted 5/5 overall 3/5 price (this is sad but I no longer think of mac lipsticks as being super overly expensive I've got $1 to $37 lipsticks so mac falls right in the middle). This is the best crimson. It doesn't look garish like most reds on me the only reds I can pull off are mac viva glam rihana1; elizabeth Arden Brick, Clinique Angel Red, Jeffree Star Redrum/HoHoHo, chanel coromandel & Clinique black honey the rest are pretty ridiculous like ruby woo, mac red, Russian red (i didn't buy these but I made the expensive mistake of buying mac Dita Von Teese lipstick big mistake the only person wearing dita lipstick should be Dita. I thought I could channel her glamour but I look like a 4 year old playing with mommys MU). Those are my go to reds check them out if u find most reds too in-your-face. Viva Glam is the perfect understated elegant crimson. I like it with perfect fdtn (I use MAC full coverage fdtn w StudioFix & PLW concealer), black winged feline flick liquid eyeliner, black curled lashes (I don't wear falsies), & mac big brow crayon/concealer to clean up brows.....Mac fascinating (white kohl) on waterline it doesn't get any better than that!!!! Maybe contour my nose & some camelia de Chanel highlighter on tops of my cheekbones let's not get too fancy here lol that I'd forget the star of the show is Viva glam! So like to echo what others said to step into the world of crimson without feeling like the lipstick is wearing you not you wearing your lipstick I highly encourage you go fetch this lipstick u won't be sorry welcome to the sisterhood of crimson lipped fraulein's!!

If you're just starting to experience with red colored lipstick THIS IS THE ONE!! This was the first MAC lipstick I purchased, and I love it. It has great color pay off, and it applies so smooth. It doesn't have the heavy feel some lipsticks do. I love pairing it with MAC "Brick", and it is the perfect shade. It does seem to smear a tad bit, but setting with a powder stops it. This is my favorite red lipstick I have found so far! Whenever I run out of it I will definitely be repurchasing. If you set it with a translucent powder it is kiss proof also ;)!

on 1/9/2017 7:27:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I'm in the minority here but this lipstick did not work for me. EXTREMELY drying (it sucked ALL the moisture that existed in my lips), feathered and bled and after an hour it looked like I had drunk fruit punch leaving this unnatural stain on my lips enhancing all my lines. Worst part, the stain was extremely uneven so it looked like a 3 year old had applied this lipstick on me.

However here are the pros:
-great color and a red that I suspect will work for most
-very pigmented
-does stain your lips BUTnot evenly over time

on 1/5/2017 4:32:00 AM

This is a mid toned, neutral red on my NC42 complexion. It doesn't lean too cool or two warm, which makes it a great red to match different eye makeup and so on. It's a matte formulation and kind of retro looking and lasts better than a glossy shade might, which is great.
I think this could be worn by people with many different complexions / colouring, simply because it's a versatile shade of red that isn't too bright, too dark or too pink or brown. I don't find it drying even though it's a matte formula.
I have no issue with the price, packaging and longevity on lips and in tube (it doesn't dry up in the tube within a matter of months, so that's a plus).

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

An everyday wearable red. A red with a muted brown undertone to it. So gorgeous and perfect to just throw on and head out the door. Matte finish but not drying, it is still creamy and hydrating on the lips. If you want to start wearing reds this is a perfect entry into the world of the Crimson Lip. Welcome!

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

How do you describe perfection ?
I am a lipstick junkie and have tried Russian red ( looks orange on me ) , ruby woo ( too blue , boo hoo ) and everything Chanel and Nara ever made. This lipsticks wins. The color makes a statement without being full on bright , has just enough brick in it to warm the skin and stays put. I mean , what more do you want in a lipstick. If a guy were adorable , warm and would stay put , you'd date him right ? Well , wear this lipstick. It's a long term relationships.

on 6/28/2016 11:38:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

My favorite red ever. Goes well with my warm/neutral skin tone. I have a very hard time finding lipsticks I like that compliment my coloring. Im in my early 50s, I now pat this on with my finger, it looks more like a stain its more muted that way. Its not a bright slap you in the face red. I think its very elegant and sophisticated.

This HAS to be hands down one of the best lipsticks I have ever used. The colour alone is magic. I'm Asian with nc35 (medium yellow) skintone and the colour is so incredibly flattering. The rep had dark brown skin and also looked amazing with it. It doesn't seem blue red to me as much as a true red, but maybe that's just because it looks good on me haha. The staying power is strong, it's not extremely drying by any means, though I do always use carmex at night anyways. For anybody with warm skin or darker skin tones, I would solidly recommend this. (This is fickle, but I got many compliments wearing this today!)

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This is my HG red lipstick. For a light-medium, yellowish undertone skin, this muted brownish-red shade is perfect! Cannot reccommend it enough for those with similar skintones as mine. I actually found out about this shade when I was researching for red lipstick that's not too in-you-face. It's not too bright, not too bold but still very lovely and elegant. I can wear it during the day (blotted down) and night. This is has a comfortable matte finish and is long wearing. I prep my lips by applying a lip balm for 5-15 mins before applying the lipstick. I will buy again when I finish a tube.

on 4/23/2016 5:07:00 PM

Love this lipstick. Such a great red shade, especially for people like me who don't like their reds too bright. It's also JUST dark enough, for those who don't like overly vampy colors. Good matte formula, and not overly drying. Highly recommend.