Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Daily Shampoo

No Image

2.9

Not tested on animals

Water (Aqua), Sodium Myreth Sulfate, Cocamide MEA, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Isoceteth 20, Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine, PEG 150 Distearate, PEG 3 Dioleylamidoethylmonium Methosulfate, Trimethylsiloxyamodimethicone, C11 15 Pareth 7, C12 16 Pareth 9, Glycerin, Trideceth 12, Polyquaternium 10, Triethyl Citrate, Bisamino PEG/PPG 41/3 Aminoethyl PG Propyl Dimethicone, Algae/Aloe Barbadensis Leaf/Anthemis Nobilis/Lawsonia Inermis, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba), Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary), PEG 12 Dimethicone, Fragrance (Parfum), Citric Acid, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate

on 1/23/2017 10:21:00 AM

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

I'm going to buck the general trend here and give this shampoo a better than average review.

I don't absolutely love Paul Mitchell products, but I don't hate them either. They do their job and they do it reasonably well. I've paid more for other high-expectation products and have been disappointed with the performance. PM is generally reliable, performs pretty well, and I know what to expect.

PM is reasonably priced. How many times have I purchased the latest supposed-miracle that costs megabucks, only to want to throw it in the trash after giving it a reasonable number of chances? Too many.

I have fine, but plentiful hair. Not thinning. It's gray and NOT colored. With age, my hair has become coarse, but my scalp gets quite greasy if I go more than a day or two without washing. It's really kind of gross when that happens.

As a software developer, I work from home, so I don't have to spend a lot of time worried about how I look in public, because I don't have to face the public on a daily basis. Yay! :-)

When my daughter moved out, she left a bottle of Super Skinny shampoo that had a few washes left in it. I ignored it for a long time.

My first thought was: "Do I really want to try a shampoo that sounds like it will weigh down my hair for the sake of giving me a phony-looking shine?", and "Do I really want to try a shampoo that sounds like it will make my fine hair just cling to my head with very little bounce and body?"

It's an unfortunate choice of names, because people with limp hair will want to run screaming from it, as it implies a sleek, overly-forced taming of hair that is the antithesis of what people want when they have fine hair.

Finally, I broke down and tried it after a month or two of looking at it. Hmmm....not bad. It cleaned my scalp and gave my hair softness with some bounce. Quite the opposite of what was expected. So I used it again the next day and found it above average.

You know how it goes - sometimes the first time you try a shampoo, it fools you into thinking it's perfect. Then you use it for a while and it's too *something* - too moisturizing or too drying or too much buildup or too "what was I thinking when I thought it was the answer to my prayers?".

In other words, this is a serviceable (or better) shampoo that will give you reliable results. It cleanses and removes sebum, it softens coarse hair, and it imparts some body and bounce. This is more than I get from a combination of so many different products that I try frequently in order to achieve hair nirvana. :-)

Do I use this every wash? No, but I rarely use the same product every time I shampoo. Sometimes I use it 2 or 3 times in a row, but I switch it up a lot. I've found that there is no one shampoo or regiment that will consistently give you the same results. But I did remember that I liked this, it did a better-than-average job, and I want to put it back in the rotation. So I re-reordered.

This is the worst shampoo I've ever used. I got through about half the bottle and realized how dry and straw-like my hair had become. It was so tangled and dried out and I don't even use heat on it. I threw the rest away even though I hate wasting things. My hair immediately started feeling better after I switched shampoos

on 6/5/2014 1:41:00 AM

This review is for the shampoo and conditioner. I have coarse thick frizzy hair and I do straighten it everyday. I had high hopes considering how awesome the Paul Mitchell Skinny Serum is. I wish I would of just stuck with my gut before purchasing this product since I did some research. Left my hair super greasy, more tangly, and straw like.

Luckily I purchased the shampoo and conditioner at ulta and they allowed me to exchange it. Save your money!!!

on 5/20/2014 5:16:00 PM

I'm going to echo some of the previous reviews on this Shampoo (and conditioner). They leave a strange waxy-feeling coating on the hair. Hair looks drab and lifeless with no shine and straw-like texture. Dreadful altogether.

on 2/2/2014 8:56:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I used this for the first time today. My hair did look smoother and felt thicker. Light good scent. Huge lather. I am pleased and will buy again

on 1/23/2014 10:04:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I have dry frizzy hair and try to avoid using harsh shampoos that may dry out my hair. The problem is a lot of those natural sulfate free shampoos sometime leave some residue on my scalp and make my roots feel a little gross. So far I like this shampoo is smells super yummy like green apples. It lathers well and makes my hair feel clean. My hair does feel a tad dry after rinsing it out but that is what conditioner is for. I do feel like with the right conditioner it does make my hair feel smoother and a little more manageable. Right now I am using Wella for Coarse/Dry hair. It in an orange bottle.

on 12/3/2013 1:05:00 AM

I have really thick hair and a lot of it. I recently started using this product due to a saloon stylist recommending it to me and it has worked very well for my hair. I use only the shampoo and serum with a different brand of conditioner. My hair does not feel greasy and it is very helpful when I straighten my hair. I am not sure y I am having great results when so many others have had bad results. It could be that I don't use the conditioner or I might just have the right hair type but the shampoo smells great and works magic in my hair that no other shampoo has done before.

on 10/12/2013 2:05:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

So I love Paul Mitchell products! I have this shampoo and the Super Skinny serum as well as a million other things. This shampoo was really amazing for my oily hair. kept it clean without drying it out. left my hair super shiny too. Love Love love it, my daily shampoo.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I have thick, coarse frizzy hair and had high hopes when I bought this. I guess the high amounts of silicone on this product made my hair look like I haven't showered in days. My scalp felt nasty and oily and even after finishing up the entire liter bottle, I did not see improvement in the overall structure of my hair. I haven't purchased another ever since.

on 7/7/2013 2:30:00 AM

This shampoo doesn't lather very much and it doesn't leave my hair smelling very good. I find that I have to use a lot of it and even then, it smells a bit odd after my hair dries. I notice that my hair looks and feels really good after I straighten it, but other than that, it doesn't do much. My hair is still pretty dry and frizzy after using this product. The only thing that it does that impresses me is cut down the drying time, but that's not that big of a deal to me. It's not a terrible product, but for the price, I would rather buy something else that works better.

Popular Shampoos