Aveda Scalp Benefits shampoo

No Image

3.6

Aqueous (Water/Aqua/Eau) Extract/ Extraits Aqueux: Hippophae Rhamnoides Extract, Echinacea Purpurea (Coneflower) Extract, Arctium Lappa (Burdock) Root Extract, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf Extract, Babassuamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate Bulb Extract, PEG-12 Dimethicone, Dimethicone PEG-8 Meadowfoamate, Fragrance (Parfum) (Aveda's Own Pure Flower and Plant Pure-Fume Aroma with Vetiver, Rosemary, Cinnamon and Other Essential Oils/Parfum Exclusive Aveda Pure-Fume). Citral, Linalool, Benzyl Benzoate, Eugenol, Limonene, Polysorbate 20, Isostearamidopropyl Morpholine Lactate, Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone

on 2/3/2018 10:25:00 AM

I am struggling to come up with anything nice to say about this shampoo. First, no scalp benefits whatsoever, despite the name. My hair also doesn't look clean after I use it. Even when I use it after a very effective shampoo. It smells nice, but not as nice as some other Aveda products and the scent is gone after I shower. In short, save your money.

on 1/1/2018 2:34:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine

Seems to be working on clearing up my scalp. I have recently been suffering from terrible dandruff and sore scabs on my head / scalp. This condition has been exasperated by regular cheaper shampoo conditioners with lots of scent and sulphates in. This was definitely more expensive but you only need a tiny bit to get a lather and this shampoo doesn’t contain a lot of chemicals and sulphates that aggregate dry scalp conditions and seem to strip colour. I’ve only been using for a few weeks but has really improved my scalp. Just wish it was a bit cheaper.

on 3/6/2017 1:02:00 AM

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

Update: Aveda has brought this shampoo back! I am so glad. It is the only shampoo that makes me want to wash my hair. It works to keep the little white flakes away without causing my hair to dry out. Not necessary to use it every time, more like every other time I wash my hair.
It was briefly discontinued and I tried several similar products but nothing came close to the great combo of not drying out my hair but keeping my scalp itch-free and healthy. And I missed the fresh mild smell of it, not too strong.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I really like this. It has a great peppery spicy smell. I have a patch of psoriasis on my scalp and it flares up if I use sulfate loaded shampoos. Since using this I have not had a flare up and my scalp and hair looks and feels much healthier. I have baby fine hair and this does not weigh it down. I'm kind of puzzled from the negative reviews. I'm thinking maybe some of the reviewers have issues with more dry scalp or dandruff which I don't think was meant for those conditions. I also love the matching conditioner.

I have had a problem scalp for years so need to be careful about what products I use to shampoo with. As I'm growing my hair, the hairdresser suggested trying this Aveda product to keep up the condition of my coloured hair.
After the first wash I could tell that my scalp was starting to become congested and scaley/itchy again but having spent £18 on it I persevered for a week or so to see if things improved. Not only did this product do nothing to improve my scalp, over three weeks later after stopping use and my scalp is STILL not back to normal. I returned the product and got a full refund from John Lewis thank goodness. This is a completely useless product.
I am back to using E45 scalp shampoo, Not the most exciting of products but I'd recommend anyone to try it if they have scalp issues. My only gripe with it is that it can make my fine hair quite matted and a bit difficult to comb out after washing.

on 9/2/2015 4:41:00 PM

This was the wrong shampoo for me. I have dyed, short hair that's pretty normal except that most styling products tend to make my scalp oily. So I need a richness for the ends but nothing that will make my head an oil slick. The salesperson at Aveda recommended-- I think--the Damage Remedy shampoo. That immediately made my head greasier than before I washed it. I returned it, and that salesperson (who was very nice about the return) was aghast that I'd been sold that one, and had me try the Scalp Benefits. OK so now my hair is dry as straw. SO disappointed, plus the shampoo is expensive, and you need to use a lot, so not concentrated like some other products. I'm off Aveda for good, at least the Grand Central NYC location where the salespeople are not so knowledgeable (the first guy just recited sales brochures at me) and fairly pushy.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I don't understand how this is benefiting your scalp, hence the name, "scalp benefits". I only had a minor itch with no dandruff to my scalp which is pretty normal for me since it's winter time. However, within one use, my scalp was even more itchy and now I'm seeing dandruff everywhere!

A little back story about my hair: It's pretty normal in texture, a bit on the fine side with an oily scalp (cannot skip a day of washing my hair)

I'm surprised within one use this would make my minor scalp issue into something worse. I was always skeptical of Aveda products; thought they were never worth their price, and this just confirms my skepticism.

I gave it 2 stars because it did leave my hair full of volume and shine but definitely not worth having that with an itchy, flaky scalp!
Hope this review is helpful to people, stay away from this misleading product.

on 1/11/2015 2:46:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I've never had a dry, itchy, flaky scalp but for whatever reason all of a sudden now I do and its REALLY irritating. After going to the hair dresser (not my usual because she wasn't in) for a bang trim, I told her my tale of woe and she recommended two products to me. I went with this one since it was the cheaper of the two (still not very cheap though at 18 bucks.) I got home excited to try this and cure my frustrating scalp problem. The products smell isn't really an issue with me. It's a kind of woodsy, spicy smell and can definitely be unisex. Lathering wasn't really an issue either. I got it to be pretty sudsy. What IS a problem with me is that no matter how much conditioner I put on my hair, MY HAIR IS A RATS NEST. It has multiple knots when I get out of the shower, and then when I try to comb through its painful and I'm ripping hair out my head. My bathroom counter looks like I'm shedding. It also doesn't do much for my hair OR my scalp. It only provides temporary relief for the itchy-ness. I've been using it for a few weeks now, just because it was such a lot of money I don't want to waste it and wanted to see with use if it would permanently get rid of my scalp issues, but no such luck. So overall, this shampoo is getting two lippies because I feel like it didn't do much of anything besides tangle my hair awful and smell moderately good.

on 8/16/2014 3:34:00 AM

This is a great shampoo and leaves my fine yet oily hair beautiful and easy to manage without weighing it down. It's worth the price.

I have fine hair and an itchy winter scalp.
After using this product for one week, my itchy scalp improved by 90%! It really seemed to improve the quality of my scalp. The smell was ok, definitely could be taken as unisex. It was a sweet, musty, bark-like smell.

This product barely improved the quality of my hair. After using, my hair was very frizzy and had extremely dry and brittle ends. However, other shampoos were worse than this. Scalp benefits only improved the quality of my hair by about 10%. This was enough for me to switch to another product.

Popular Shampoos