Aveda Scalp Benefits shampoo

3.6

Aqueous (Water/Aqua/Eau) Extract/ Extraits Aqueux: Hippophae Rhamnoides Extract, Echinacea Purpurea (Coneflower) Extract, Arctium Lappa (Burdock) Root Extract, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf Extract, Babassuamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate Bulb Extract, PEG-12 Dimethicone, Dimethicone PEG-8 Meadowfoamate, Fragrance (Parfum) (Aveda's Own Pure Flower and Plant Pure-Fume Aroma with Vetiver, Rosemary, Cinnamon and Other Essential Oils/Parfum Exclusive Aveda Pure-Fume). Citral, Linalool, Benzyl Benzoate, Eugenol, Limonene, Polysorbate 20, Isostearamidopropyl Morpholine Lactate, Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I really like this. It has a great peppery spicy smell. I have a patch of psoriasis on my scalp and it flares up if I use sulfate loaded shampoos. Since using this I have not had a flare up and my scalp and hair looks and feels much healthier. I have baby fine hair and this does not weigh it down. I'm kind of puzzled from the negative reviews. I'm thinking maybe some of the reviewers have issues with more dry scalp or dandruff which I don't think was meant for those conditions. I also love the matching conditioner.

I have had a problem scalp for years so need to be careful about what products I use to shampoo with. As I'm growing my hair, the hairdresser suggested trying this Aveda product to keep up the condition of my coloured hair.
After the first wash I could tell that my scalp was starting to become congested and scaley/itchy again but having spent £18 on it I persevered for a week or so to see if things improved. Not only did this product do nothing to improve my scalp, over three weeks later after stopping use and my scalp is STILL not back to normal. I returned the product and got a full refund from John Lewis thank goodness. This is a completely useless product.
I am back to using E45 scalp shampoo, Not the most exciting of products but I'd recommend anyone to try it if they have scalp issues. My only gripe with it is that it can make my fine hair quite matted and a bit difficult to comb out after washing.

To Read all 133 Reviews, Login or Join

on 9/2/2015 4:41:00 PM

This was the wrong shampoo for me. I have dyed, short hair that's pretty normal except that most styling products tend to make my scalp oily. So I need a richness for the ends but nothing that will make my head an oil slick. The salesperson at Aveda recommended-- I think--the Damage Remedy shampoo. That immediately made my head greasier than before I washed it. I returned it, and that salesperson (who was very nice about the return) was aghast that I'd been sold that one, and had me try the Scalp Benefits. OK so now my hair is dry as straw. SO disappointed, plus the shampoo is expensive, and you need to use a lot, so not concentrated like some other products. I'm off Aveda for good, at least the Grand Central NYC location where the salespeople are not so knowledgeable (the first guy just recited sales brochures at me) and fairly pushy.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I don't understand how this is benefiting your scalp, hence the name, "scalp benefits". I only had a minor itch with no dandruff to my scalp which is pretty normal for me since it's winter time. However, within one use, my scalp was even more itchy and now I'm seeing dandruff everywhere!

A little back story about my hair: It's pretty normal in texture, a bit on the fine side with an oily scalp (cannot skip a day of washing my hair)

I'm surprised within one use this would make my minor scalp issue into something worse. I was always skeptical of Aveda products; thought they were never worth their price, and this just confirms my skepticism.

I gave it 2 stars because it did leave my hair full of volume and shine but definitely not worth having that with an itchy, flaky scalp!
Hope this review is helpful to people, stay away from this misleading product.

on 1/11/2015 2:46:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I've never had a dry, itchy, flaky scalp but for whatever reason all of a sudden now I do and its REALLY irritating. After going to the hair dresser (not my usual because she wasn't in) for a bang trim, I told her my tale of woe and she recommended two products to me. I went with this one since it was the cheaper of the two (still not very cheap though at 18 bucks.) I got home excited to try this and cure my frustrating scalp problem. The products smell isn't really an issue with me. It's a kind of woodsy, spicy smell and can definitely be unisex. Lathering wasn't really an issue either. I got it to be pretty sudsy. What IS a problem with me is that no matter how much conditioner I put on my hair, MY HAIR IS A RATS NEST. It has multiple knots when I get out of the shower, and then when I try to comb through its painful and I'm ripping hair out my head. My bathroom counter looks like I'm shedding. It also doesn't do much for my hair OR my scalp. It only provides temporary relief for the itchy-ness. I've been using it for a few weeks now, just because it was such a lot of money I don't want to waste it and wanted to see with use if it would permanently get rid of my scalp issues, but no such luck. So overall, this shampoo is getting two lippies because I feel like it didn't do much of anything besides tangle my hair awful and smell moderately good.

on 8/16/2014 3:34:00 AM

This is a great shampoo and leaves my fine yet oily hair beautiful and easy to manage without weighing it down. It's worth the price.

I have fine hair and an itchy winter scalp.
After using this product for one week, my itchy scalp improved by 90%! It really seemed to improve the quality of my scalp. The smell was ok, definitely could be taken as unisex. It was a sweet, musty, bark-like smell.

This product barely improved the quality of my hair. After using, my hair was very frizzy and had extremely dry and brittle ends. However, other shampoos were worse than this. Scalp benefits only improved the quality of my hair by about 10%. This was enough for me to switch to another product.

on 3/24/2014 2:59:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This didn't work for me sadly - at all. Same itchy scalp. And it was not cheap! Also the smell was okay in the bottle and when using, but when I've dried my hair any smell completely disappears - which is annoying because I like my hair to smell clean or of something nice anyway! So this would be well suited for men.

In terms of what it does to my hair - it is fine, but nothing outstanding. Doesn't seem to have any buildup. Also has that squeaky clean feeling straight after use.

I'm sure there are lots of different scalp conditions out there so maybe it works for some people. Search continues..

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I absolutely love this shampoo! My scalp is very sensitive - it will itch or flake if I don't wash it everyday or if I use a moisturizing shampoo. I was very surprised that it immediately calmed the redness down and removed all the dry skin on my scalp after the first use. AND it made my hair super soft and shiny, unlike any other shampoo + conditioner I've ever used before. The shampoo itself is very drying so you will have to follow up with the Scalp Benefits conditioner.

I don't notice the shampoo washing out any of the dye in my hair... but then again I'm way overdue for a touchup.

on 1/21/2014 2:57:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm

I used to have very long hair (to my belly button), and struggled with finding a shampoo that could manage my oily scalp and dry ends while keeping things light and shiny. On top of that, certain shampoos and conditioners that were too rich for every part of my hair except the drier ends would break out my face... I went to Aveda to get Shampure, mostly to prioritize a shampoo that wouldn't break out my face, and I was pretty skeptical about Scalp Benefits' ability to manage my dry ends.

I'm pretty picky about my hair and about the products I use in it, so I'm happy to say I'm really pleased with this -- I've already repurchased! Being kind of a product junky, I'll probably still experiment with other shampoos from time to time, but this will likely be the one I come back to. It has a nice, herbal smell, and you don't need to use too much of it. It keeps my oil under control and doesn't dry out the ends. I use this with the Scalp Benefits conditioner every day and Wen Re-Moist hydrating mask every couple days.

Popular Shampoos