LUSH Daddyo shampoo

LUSH Daddyo shampoo

3.5

Fresh Lemon Infusion (Citrus limonum), Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Alkyl Sulfate, Toothed Wrack Seaweed Infusion (Fucus serratus), Fresh Sea Water (Aqua), Cocamide DEA, Cocamide MEA, Perfume, Glycol Cetearate, Fresh Lime Juice (Citrus limetta), Coconut Oil (Cocos nucifera), Violet Leaf Absolute (Viola odorata), Rose Absolute (Rosa centifolia), Bergamot Oil (Citrus bergamia), Cananga Oil (Cananga odorata), *Limonene, *Linalool, Coumarin, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Colour 61585, Colour 18050

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

My hair is short mostly virgin blonde, thin but lots of it. I wash it every day. Full disclosure my skin and hair are becoming oilier due to hormone levels.

I put off trying daddy-o because the name creeped me out but I love this shampoo! I have patches of psoriasis on either side at the back of my head, nothing (even nasty pharmacy tar crud) got rid of it. Three washes with Daddy-o over ten days and it was much smoother with no sores! No flakes! My hair smells clean and lemony violet fresh, super shiny (my partner commented on it, AND his brother, didn't know I wasn't so shiny to begin with but ok) and the virgin length and processed ends were soft and manageable.
I don't really need a conditioner with this but have got Veganese (the light lemony one) to go with it, and I purchased Sugar Daddy-o solid conditioner to keep my fried ends in check.
I really only apply to my roots, have a good scrub with my finger tips and rinse out because I do think it could dry or over-tone (it's very pigmented, very purple) if you leave it in too long. I've done a lot of experimenting with tones and the trick for me really is getting a product that magically suits you. Lucky for me and my natural colour Daddy-o suits me perfectly. My virgin hair can be too ashy or too brassy but daddy-o strikes a good balance if I use it every few days. I'll buy a middle sized 250ml bottle next time because it really lathers and is quite runny so a little goes a long way. The 100ml size I've got isn't very economical and 500ml is a big commitment for me. Saying that it'd make a great body wash!

on 1/16/2016 11:26:00 PM

I'm giving this product 4 stars because it does do what it promises to. I have dyed ash brown hair with ash highlights, and brassy tones do come out often which is irritating. After the first wash, my hair did look less brassy which I am extremely pleased with, but it also dried my hair out quite a bit and I noticed some white flakes on the top of my head, which I don't usually have. I would recommend this product if you need to combat brassy hair (and it smells divine) but only once a week, and you need a lot of conditioner afterwards.

To Read all 93 Reviews, Login or Join

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Boy oh boy - this stuff is drying. Just look at the first ingredient - lemon juice! Pah! After using this for about a month, I wouldn't touch this stuff with a ten foot pole. No, actually, that's a lie. The scent of this concoction is heavenly - I wish that I could wear it as a perfume. The smell stayed in my hair for the first day or so, and you had to dig your nose into my hair to smell it. Like, really burrow your nose in there, like a dog looking for its lost bone. It's liquid perfection - if you like violets, that is!

I won't indulge you as to what horrors my hair has borne witness to - all that you need to know is that it's broken and brassy. Very brassy. No matter how many ash brown hair dyes I smother onto my hair, an orange hue will find a way to shine through. It will eat away at the hair dye, robbing me of my money, and return to its brassy glory, with tints of yellow, orange and red. Truly a sight to behold, if you like brittle, metallic hair.

I brought this shampoo online, and after being captivated by its scent, walked in a dreamlike daze to the bathroom to wash my deprived locks. For the last month I had been squeezing out a little bit, lathering it up and working it into my scalp, and the bulk of my hair. The lather isn't the greatest, which is irritating, but I was expecting that.

Fast forward, I had to wait longer than usual for my hair to dry. I used this in conjunction with Retread by Lush, which is supposed to be a triple strength conditioner. Lies. The first thing that I noticed was that my hair was incredibly stiff and dry - no moisture or luster to it whatsoever. I pin the blame of that on the shampoo, after reading about similar experiences online. On top of that, there was no difference to the colour of my hair. I wasn't expecting a big change, but after using it for a month and asking for other opinions and looking at photos, I came to the conclusion that this shampoo had done nada for me. Nada. I reckon that is product will either be a hit or a miss for customers - I view my experience as a miss, if it isn't obvious!

If you're on the fence about this product, and I was there, I would be hauling you by the ankles over onto the 'DO NOT BUY' side. If other purple shampoos have worked for you in the past, then perhaps consider this. As for me, this was my first one and it had no effect on my hair other than sucking out all moisture - perhaps my hair was too damaged for it to work properly. If your hair is seriously damaged, like mine, then it will probably be a waste of money.

If you're still iffy about this, get a sample! I regret not getting one. A lot. Maybe it'll be your holy grail product, or maybe it'll end up sitting on your shelf, having its lid twisted open every now and then to let the scent out, alongside your deep sighs as you stare down in anguish at your broken, brassy hair.

on 12/2/2015 7:12:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I looked at reviews before buying this product and then asked about it to the girl at lush, i bought the small bottle to try it, i have processed hair and i was looking for a purple/blue shampoo to get the brassy tones out without damaging the hair even more.

The product smells really good, it has a fresh fruity smell and the texture is runny so you can apply it pretty well, it's easy to wash and pretty good to clean off of the skin (unlike other purple shampoos), overall i liked it at first sight.

Which surprised me was that it was a warmer violet color than other purple shampoos i've tried, i left it for five minutes the first time i used it and then rinsed it off, my hair had turned an orangy blonde, not so brassy but not a colder tone as i wanted and expected, i really hated it because it looked like a washed out pink/orange color.

I've also tried leaving the shampoo for just one minute but it still doesn't get the yellow undertones out it just masks them with a pinkier tone.

Also it's a very drying product, if it's useful to you colorwise i still wouldn't recommend using it every time you wash your hair (one time a week tops), unless your hair is really really oily and healthy you will have to use a mask afterwards.

I was even more surprised a few weeks later when a friend of mine gave me a lush mask as a gift and a free sample of daddy'o, i looked at the shampoo and it was blue, i compared it to the one i had at home and they were completely different colors, this one was way colder, i tried it on a strand of my hair and it worked really well, just like i expected it to do the first time i tried the product.

So.. I don't know if the girl from lush made a mistake, if the color changes depending of the batch they make or what but the product is way too expensive for this.

on 7/26/2015 10:57:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Other, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

So i bought only the small size cuz tbh i didn't think it'll work as well as full of chemicals purple shampoos would and this is way better than most of chemically purple shampoos and smells delightfully

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

I used to use this product all the time. I wanted a more natural alternative to the harsher, chemical-filled purple shampoos that are currently on the market, and so when I heard about Daddy O I went straight to Lush to purchase it. The first thing I noticed is that it has a very strong floral scent, basically it reeks of violets. It's quite lovely, actually, my entire shower smelled of flowers for an hour after I got out. The shampoo brightened up my hair, and - most importantly - didn't leave my ends dry and split. What impressed me the most about Daddy O is just how well it lathers, it's rather thin in texture and with one second of rubbing your hands it's completely lathered and goes on the hair very smoothly. I haven't gotten around to buying another one after I ran out, but I think I will try to repurchase soon, it's a very good shampoo.

on 5/21/2015 10:32:00 PM

I do like this product as its smells lovely & it actually does help keep my hair bright, and the blonde ends of my hair untarnished.

However, I think for shampoo it's really expensive. It also gives me dandruff - which is very frustrating. Once you've washed your hair with it, your hair will feel really dry, like hay!!! I use American Cream conditioner after, which adds the moisture back in. Together for the pair I paid over 30 which I think is really expensive for shampoo and conditioner. Think I'll stick to the cheap stuff!

on 5/19/2015 6:36:00 PM

i actually used this shampoo once when traveling with a friend who has blond hair and i forgot my shampoo and used this
as i am a brunette, i nvr thought of getting this shampoo
but after using it i went and bought me a bottle
it made my hair shiny and soft

I went into Lush yesterday and one of the sales girls was telling me how great my blonde looked on me and really recommended Daddy-O. I have used other brands purple shampoos and they worked great, so I gave it a go. My hair was very blonde because I had done silver/ grey hair about a month ago. Before I bought the product the girl had given me a demo and it smelled great, looked great, the whole deal. She told me how to use it and it was just like any other purple shampoo you just wash your hair with it or leave it in for about 5-10 minutes then wash out. When I got home I got in the shower and used it just as the girl and bottle said. I evenly distributed the product all over my head and it looked very purple just as in the bottle. Within 1-2 minutes I checked my hair and the product looked pink. I looked at my ends and tried to rub the product out and it wouldn't come off. I immediately washed the rest out of my hair and looked in the mirror. My hair was the ugliest shades of pink. It looked like I had faded out pink hair, not even a good pink. I was so pissed. If I wanted pink hair I would have dyed my hair pink. I hopped back in the shower and washed my hair honestly maybe 10 times. When I got most of the pink out I let my hair dry and noticed that my hair was 20x's brassier than it was to start with. It left my hair feeling dry as if I had just bleached it again. I don't know if I should try it again, but in the wash out meathod. From this experience I would not reccomend to anyone of you have a processed blonde.

If you used this everyday it will dry out your hair like it did mine. After i went to my hairstylist and told her why my hair was so dry she told me use this shampoo once a week and leave it in your hair for 5 minutes then rinse. I'm on my second bottle, using it the right way now and im happy.

Popular Shampoos