Stella McCartney Stella- Eau de Parfum

Stella McCartney Stella- Eau de Parfum

4.1

on 11/30/2016 10:16:00 AM

My go to, has been a beloved piece of my life since it came out 10-ish years ago. Will keep using it until it is discontinued (let's hope that never happens). Nowadays I work in a school and can't wear perfume during the day, but I wear a scent to bed every night. I alternate between this and the edp narcisso.

on 11/14/2016 3:44:00 PM

Absolutely adore this!!

I am a big time lover of rose scent. I find it really relaxing and homey. In 2009-- I started using ponds cold cream to remove my makeup and fell in love with that rose+musk+plastic baby doll head smell.

So I tried pacificas rose perfume that I don't think exists anymore, PW tea rose, Paul smith roses, roses de chloe, Crabtree and Evelyn's rose, tbs atlas mountain rose (and I feel like they had a rose scent before this one I also tried), aerin evening rose and rose de grasse, JM red roses, l'occitane roses et reine, Cartier goutte de rose, of course Stella... You get the picture. If it had the name rose on it and I could access a sample within 50 miles of my city-- I went to go test it....

I had a hard time finding what I wanted. I didn't want a rose scent that sat on top of the skin-- and felt like I pulled my clothes out of a drawer of potpourri -- that was my issue with Paul smith roses and roses et reine.

I didn't want a super green rose with stems and mud-- my issue with rosse de grasse and JM.

I didn't want a tea rose like tbs atlas mountain rose, UO rose scent...

I thought roses de Chloe was the one. It even had that signature chloe lychee, soap and woods base that made it so user friendly...

But like a cheap rosewater spray. It disappeared completely in under an hour. I would spray my skin, hair, bra and clothes. Just to find it go from cloying strong to completely gone in like an hour or 2... It also broke me out into a contact rash.

Stella is rosey musk perfection. It has that musk and Amber base that anchors the rose scent and makes it so so wearable. It's not a potpourri rose; it's a natural *my scent is a rose scent* rose.

I adore it!! Oh and if this novel isn't long enough-- I've also been an avid user of soap and glory (original scent) line for about a decade now.

For the longest that's all I wore was righteous body butter with no perfume. And I always got compliments about how good I smelled. S&G original pink and also the body spray do NOT smell the same on me. They are heavy in a cheap patch formulation and turn rancid on my skin.

So for 10 years I've been searching to duplicate the gorgeous scent of righteous body butter in a perfume form. Stella is the closest I've found. And for this reason will probably remain my every day signature scent for as long as I can still get my hands on it.

I wrote this review more as a plea than anything else. Now that it's a sephora exclusive I am crossing fingers and toes that it isn't being phased out.

I have gone through a 1oz, 2 body lotions and have just gone all in on the 100ml size.

If you love florals, soapy smells, or roses you need Stella in your arsenal

<333

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This is my all-time favorite perfume. I chanced upon it one day in a duty free and fell in love with it since. It gives such a sensual rose scent. I feel sexy when I wear it. It's suitable for everyday wear - morning or evening. It's not overpowering.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Good scent but not the best. For me it smells exactly like chloe rose but stronger and longetivity is great. Update: Drydown smelled like Jessica Simpson's Vintage bloom which is way too masculine for my taste. Pass

on 11/12/2015 4:33:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I got a free sample of this. As others have mentioned, it is a rose scent. I have yet to find any rose scent I like. I love the smell of real roses growing in a garden, but to my knowledge nobody has been able to capture that smell in a perfume. Stella is not that smell, though for a rose scent it is okay. Some rose scents smell really old ladyish and this one is fairly young smelling. Still not for me, though.

Stella's signature perfume is a beautiful and elegant take on roses. This floral scent is one of my favorites and I never tire of it, other people love it too. Amber and mandarin are added in to elevate the rose notes.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I received a sample of this as part of a sampler set. I normally don't buy rose scents on my own, so this isn't something I would choose, but I did like it. It was rose done well--not too heavy, not old-lady smelling, not too many other notes making it heavy. It was like rose lite, but in a good way.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

There seems to be a bit of derision amongst the perfume critic set regarding Stella. It’s as if there was some expectation, as she is an innovative fashion designer, that the fragrance would be as well. I fell victim to this with Lady Gaga’s Fame. WE WERE PROMISED BLOOD! I really thought Fame was going to be some sort of reworking of Secretions Magnifique but wearable. No dice. It was a shitty fruity floral with a disappearing ink gimick juice. I was heartbroken. In a seemingly dismal era of mainstream perfume, even the woman who wore a meat dress wouldn’t take a risk. But then again, maybe THAT’S the joke. Fame is an illusion. Don’t set your heart on it.

Whatever. I’m still miffed.

So I empathize. Sort of. The thing is, unlike Fame, Stella isn’t bad. In fact, I have a lot of affection for it. Perfume critic, Katie Puckrik, called it a “beginner’s rose.” And I second that emotion. For me, it’s a jeans and t-shirt rose, but like AG jeans and a high-end tee. We can’t wear a ballgown every day, right? (I mean, I’d like to try, but there’s the train to think about.) I also feel it would layer well (Throw a cashmere sweater on that jeans and tee with some vanilla, maybe add a chic blazer with some incense? You get the idea.) Additionally, while the perfume critics seem incapable of getting excited about Stella (fair), she appears on both Bois de Jasmin‘s and the Perfume Posse‘s lists of great rose perfumes. Part of this cliquey behavior (Raise your hand if you’ve been personally victimized by Regina George), comes from the fact that while Stella may not be particularly exciting, we live in an age of perfumery where a true rose, as simple as she might be, is notable. Stella reminds us that deep down, as much as it curls our toes, sometimes we just want to feel pretty. What I mean to say is, on Wednesdays, Stella wears pink.

Maybe THAT explains the salty note. Stella is actually Gretchen Weiners.

So what is Stella actually? Peony for starters, then rose, then a salty ambery musk. The drydown is a bit abrupt. Last night, I tried it on at Sephora. Reapplied it a couple hours later still enjoying the slightly jammy rose. A couple hours after that I slipped into bed, took one last sniff and said, “WHOAH! Where’s the rose?” (The rose can’t go out. *cough cough* It’s sick.) Totally ghosted. But I’m still fine with it. (Boo, you whore.) It may seem I’m determined to like this perfume against all odds, but that’s not the case at all. I find it immediately likeable.

Here’s the thing. One of my favorite perfumes of all time is YSL Paris. A gigantic jammy rose violet monstrosity that is basically bliss in a bottle for me. I am aware, however, that it enters a room before I do and as I’ve been raised to be polite, I don’t wear it very often. Stella, for me, is Paris Lite. VERY Lite, yes. But sometimes, you just don’t want to think. That’s why we order pizza.

I feel that Stella has the potential to be a gateway drug of sorts. It’s easy to write off a tea rose as old-fashioned. Stella gives you a rose with a modern sensibility. The kind of rose that might make a girl think, “Hmmmm. Maybe I don’t hate rose after all.” As I mentioned before, I could see it layering well with vanilla. I’d like to try a foodier vanilla for a twist on the Tocade idea (which is a more floral vanilla combined with rose.) Ultimately, Stella makes me want to play. And for $22 bucks for an EdP roller ball at Sephora? I can afford to. Alone, she is a bit buttoned up, sure. But I feel she would come out of her shell given the right encouragement. OR, as I suspect Stella is an introvert, she may do better supporting someone else in the spotlight. That is to say, if you have a Regina George perfume that you feel might enjoy a little rose from time to time, Stella might be the perfect addition. OR, and I love this idea, imagine adding it to a well made but simple masculine. Don Draper becomes Beau Brummell.

Perfume Challenge: Regina George and Cady Heron perfumes. To be discussed at a later date.

And Don Draper.

Anyway…

I think the general “meh” of Stella comes from what could have been. All these years later, better to focus on what is. The Guide asserts that Stella is “not obviously perfume.” Okay. Maybe it’s an idea. But I like the idea. So fetch.

on 8/16/2015 7:50:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

My review is for the old/original formula & I'm disturbed to read that it has been changed? I purchased this when it first came out and fell in love. Stella is one of the few non-synthetic, organic scents available commercially (true at the time I purchased it -circa 2007ish, anyway) & the difference is obvious & profound. It contains little more than rose along with lots of amber to sweeten it up. One of my all-time favourites!!! By Stella McCartney (yes, she's the daughter of John & Linda & stays true to their healthy, honest, pure & organic principals w/ this truly beautiful creation).

on 7/1/2015 10:26:00 AM

THEY NEED To BRING BACK THE OLD FORMULA. You will know if you own the old formula because the neck of your bottle, where it reads 'Stella', is silver. The new reformulated scent has a gold neck.

Hardly any rose in the new scent. No depth at all, unlike the old, unique formula.

TOO DAMN BAD.