Burberry Brit

Burberry Brit

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

College professors should wear this. I don't know why, I just feel they *should*.
But then, I also feel that they should be prim & proper & absolutely perfect with neat little buns.

This fragrance absolutely does not suit me, it's too perfect & it makes me uncomfortable. It's like it KNOWS I'm wearing mismatched socks, and sniffs haughtily at the very idea. It makes me ashamed of my bad posture.
But it's also fresh & outdoors-y & athletic. I know, that sounds wrong, but just think of those lady polo players with their straight backs, and their posh accents, atop glossy brown horses. Riding round a boring old track.
When I was little, I envied them for their horses, but I always imagined I'd ride MY horse differently: preferably in a forest, with braids cascading down my back.
And that's why I don't like this. I appreciate the beauty, but it's not where I wanna be.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

All right. I have arrived at fragrance HG heaven! At last. Upon reading the notes for the eau de parfum of Burberry BritItalian lime, icy pear, green almond, white peony, sugared almonds, amber, mahogany, vanilla, tonka beanalong with the rave reviews on MUA and Fragrantica, I had a feeling that I would love Brit, and I do! Key Lime Pie is one of my favorite desserts, lime and vanilla some of my favorite smells ever. Of course if something has both, I am all over it, like BBWs Coconut Lime Verbena/Breeze. On me, Brit starts out as a sharp, crisp citrus scent; the lime is very prominent. Then the almonds and pear emerge. At the dry-down, I get a woody, ambery vanilla with a perfect mix of powdery white peony and gourmonde-like tonka bean. Elevenyes, eleven!hours later, I end up with this sweet and smoky incense, faintly citrus, on my skin. I am not sure from where that comes, but I am not complaining. Brit lasts for days on clothes, leaving behind a rich, smoky vanilla scent on your collar or sleeve.

Granted, Brit is a tad masculine and spicy, but it retains enough of its sweet, lighthearted lime-vanilla to remind you that you are a girl, who is a bit preppy but always fun-loving and classy, a scent good for work and play. You simply feel like a Tory lady capable of some mischief, and I love that!

Would I buy another bottle? Absolutely and hope that someone also may gift it to me for a graduation present. Brit is mostly likely going to become my signature because it keeps me alert and happy, two very good things for a future law student to have. Just try it even if you are not sure. You may be surprised, since it is not quite a true citrus nor a true gourmand but a well crafted fragrance that is at once light, fresh, warm, and sweet. Plus, it can be found at reasonable prices at online perfume outlets, though it is rather expensive at Sephora or Macy's.

Update: I recently received Burberry Brit as the eau de toilette, white plad on the packaging, which is different from the eau de parfum, red plad on the packaging, which I already own and enjoy, that I feel I should add this update to my review. In theory, the EDT features all the same notes as the EDP except for the vanilla. In actuality, when I spray this onto my neck, I smell mostly the Italian lime, icy pear, and green almond. There is little to no white peony, sugared almond, tonka bean, mahogany, nor amber. What you have is a fragrance in the aquatic and green families; forget about the sweet and woody oriental-gourmond qualities found in the EDP. I can understand how some compare the EDT of Brit to bug spray or chemical waste. Happily on my skin, this turns into citrus and fruits, with a trace of plastic. Almonds often lend scents a plastic-like smell to them; sample Blue Butterfly or Hypnotic Poison, which also contain an almond note. To tell the truth, I kind of like this plastic smell, reminds me of shopping at a department store, but if that is not your thing, then the EDT of Brit will not be too attractive to you, and the EDP is perhaps a better option. Though I like the EDT, I do not love it. I can and do appreciate its bright, watery, ozonic, and subtle texture, but its staying power of some 4 and a half hours on skin (6-9 on hair) is not great. Plus, I miss the parfums vanilla and amber, which allow you to wear Brit during the day and evening; I find that the EDT is good for only the day, especially in the spring and summer. If I could, I would give the EDT 3.5 lippies and the the EDP 5, making my overall rating somewhere in the middle ground of 4. The EDT is a little less expensive than the EDP, but the parfum is a superior fragrance all things considered.

on 6/15/2004 10:16:00 PM

I believe I read somewhere that Brit was a breakthrough in the hesperides/gourmand category, but I don't know is this is categorically true, since such things as Molinard Vanille (Les Senteurs) also contain hesperides, as technically would CSP Vanille Orange and also Guerlain Pamplemousse, if you stick to the definition of hesperides as citrus notes and not strictly green ones. That said, I chose Brit for a summer "green" fragrance, even though it isn't really green at all, in the grass and hay sense. It just feels green. Lime isn't a note I'd traditionally covet, and the "icy" pear seemed as if it might threaten a BBW-type scent, but Brit won out over drier, more traditionally true green scents for a long, cool summer refreshment. As sparkling as a glass of lime rickey full of seltzer bubbles, Brit mixes its hesperides over a light, non-synthetic vanilla that is sheer enough to let even the traditionally fleeting notes of citrus shine through with quenching tang. On odd days the pear is prominent, and the almond seems to be part of the overall mix rather than an individual component. Because I have the EdP I imagine that the composition is a bit denser and more true to the pale green flesh of the lime than the EdT is. Despite the marketing aimed at a younger, trendier person who is more than half my age, I don't think Brit comes with a warning label attached: Potential to Smell Ridiculously Jejune. In fact I believe it is suitable for any age group, as a casual and wearable summer accessory. Presents no challenge as the Guerlain Pamplelune does as there is no tendency towards fruit acids and indigestion here. Cooling, slaking, and bright, just like a iced drink on a sticky dog-day should be. THE LIME VERSION OF ANGEL. Topnotes hold and hold--staying power of EdP 18 hours? C'est vrai!

on 7/28/2010 6:58:00 PM

This is my Miracle on 34th Street.
It was the end of October in New York City - the original 34th Street Macy's had actually started putting up holiday decorations already and I was visiting from Los Angeles.
I really wanted to buy something from the ORIGINAL Macy's - yes, I know we have Macy's here ... and certainly they have Burberry Brit everywhere... but it was just one of those times, the right place, the right feeling, the right scent - and I was visiting my best friend.
We were walking around the beauty department and I was suggesting a few perfumes for her - told her what I liked about various ones. A sales person suggested Brit or Sheer to the both of us. We sprayed. We sniffed.
I could not decide between Brit or Sheer.
It was so warm and noisy in the beauty department that day that after spraying one on each hand, I had to step outside. I looked up and realized that I'm standing here on 34th Street in Manhattan sniffing my wrists and at that particular moment I was so happy. It was my left wrist - a direct line to my heart - that had the Brit on it.
This scent will always remind me of New York. Everytime I wear it I'm transported to this wonderful city, how I felt that day, how much I loved having the time with my friend.
I prefer the EDT and it still lasts almost all day on me. continued >>

on 3/5/2015 9:17:00 PM

This is a very British scent. It's a classic scent, with strong tinges of nostalgia. The notes I smell most significantly are lime, pepper, vanilla, and some faint woods. The opening is mostly lime and pepper, but the vanilla is quickly apparent, and rounds out the scent. This is by no means a sharp lime. Given those notes, it's hard to really imagine the experience of the scent, and I've found that what it evokes is more important to me than the notes. This scent reminds me of an old manor house, classy and classic, but slightly down at its heels. It needs repairs, but it is still putting its best face forward. It brings to mind the old wood parlors, the sprawling grounds, and the titled family living inside. For an interpretation more in keeping with those of us living stateside, it brings to mind New England college campuses in the fall, not at the beginning of the semester, but around November, when the leaves are falling off the trees, and everything is dampened by a cold rain, and people seek shelter in a wood-paneled library.

on 12/2/2008 10:19:00 PM

I bought the EDT at first because I was trying to cheap out but the scent was so different than the EDP that I had to return it and break down and buy the EDP. The EDT has a lot more lime to it and the EDP has a lot more vanilla and amber IMO. So the EDT has a much lighter fresher scent and the EDP has a warmer sweeter scent. I normally love light citrus and green scents but something about the EDT was off to me and it gave me a headache.

In any case, the EDP is a lovely warm scent perfect for fall and winter. There's the vanilla-ish bit from the tonka bean and the almond but there's also a nice amberish side to it too to deepen it and give it more spice. Surprise surprise I love vanillas and almonds to eat and to sniff. I am also a fan of Hypnotic Poison for a warm fall and winter scent but that has more vanilla to it than Brit does. All I know is, I can't stop sniffing myself when I'm wearing Burberry Brit and I have to sniff any item of clothing that has any remnants of this scent on it. I love it. My go to scent for fall and winter.

on 12/10/2008 7:12:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I had a roommate a few years ago who had this in her perfume rotation, and I always loved stealing a spritz when I wanted to feel extra feminine and pretty. I never got around to buying some of my own, and after the end of the year when I moved away, Brit sort of fell out of my mind.

Fast forward to yesterday. I'm browsing Ulta, looking for a pick-me-up, since my boyfriend had just dumped me. I fondly pick up Brit and give it a spray on my wrist, and it is just as beautiful as I remember. It's a scent that makes me feel strong, but delicate. I have the EDT, which is light and has more citrus in it, but the dry down is muskier and very, very feminine. I felt lovely while wearing this perfume, which is remarkable considering the doldrums I was (I am) in. I bought it on the spot and wore it today and felt pretty and girly, and somehow invincible and untouchable.

It's amazing how a fragrance can evoke emotion. Brit somehow does wonders to my self-image. I love it, and will rebuy!

on 12/1/2013 5:49:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I've always loved Burberry Brit EDP -- it was love at first sniff for me when it launched in 2003, and I bought it immediately. It had my favorite note, Vanilla -- combined with so many other delicious fruity-gourmand notes.

Here is note list, per parfumo.net:

Top Notes -- Iced pear, Lime, Almond
Heart Notes -- Peony
Base Notes -- Amber, Tonka bean, Vanilla

How great are those notes??? To me, that note list speaks for itself -- personally, I love every one of them. Together, they make a fresh, delicious, interesting scent cocktail -- or smoothie. Good for all seasons, all weather, all occasions, all ages.

I love gourmands, and Brit is one I turn to when I want to lighten up -- when I want a gourmand but something more cheerful and less heavy than my ambery-woody-patchouli-musky gourmands. Brit is fresh, refreshing, cheerful, energizing -- due to the zesty lime and sweet pear, which keep the fragrance light & zingy -- as well as gourmand.

Combined with the vanilla & almond, the overall scent is delicious. I've had a bottle since it launched, and I'll always have Brit EDP in my collection, for as long as they make it

DH once complained that my Brit EDP smelled "bitey", which deflated me at first -- but then I disregarded that complaint, because I don't -- and I love it. I suppose he smelled lime. I hate sharpness in a perfume myself -- however, Brit has never struck me as sharp, since that lime topnote quickly combines with sweet pear, sugared almonds, tonka, amber, and vanilla. All combined, it's both refreshing & gourmandy at the same time.

I own both EDP & EDT (and also a Summer version, which is great) but I *definitely* prefer EDP. It's richer, with more vanilla & warmth in the base. EDT stays more light & sheer & citrusy, even though the vanilla is still delicious & quite apparent EDT & Summer versions may be good choices for hot weather, but I think EDP spritzed lightly works too -- since Brit really isn't a heavy scent, in any formulation.

This is one absolutely divine fragrance. It starts off fresh and a little sweet due to the lime and pear notes with a hint of almond in there too. It dries down to be a cosy and soothing mixture of almond and vanilla. I just feel that all of this works so beautifully together in Brit - the lime seems to balance out the sweetness, so that yes, it is a little sweet - but in no way sickly or overdone. Then the base notes just leave you with a gentle warmth - not exactly spicy, but with just enough "oomph" in there. As such, I find Brit to be quite multi-seasonal, as it is fresh enough to be used in warm weather (although perhaps not extreme heat) and has enough strength in the base notes to be ideal in winter as well. A complete winner in my book!!

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This review is for the EDP. This is actually a pretty unusual fragrance for me as gourmands are not typically my favorite. I recently tried another perfume that had almond in it, and while I did not like that particular blend, it made me crave something with a similar almond note. As other reviewers have pointed out, Brit starts out a little sharp and citrusy, but the lime settles down pretty quickly on me and I get a nice almond-vanilla-amber drydown with maybe just a touch of wood. As I said, many gourmands, especially the warmer ones, tend to be too spicy for me, but there's no spice in Brit on my skin. It is warm, inviting, and very comforting without having any kind of spicy kick to it. While I didn't really think that this would be a fragrance that I'd love, I actually do really love it and I think I will be reaching for it a lot during the fall and winter. It is a nice change of pace from the florals, aquatics, green etc scents that I tend to use on a frequent basis and I can definitely see this having a prominent position in my fragrance rotation.

Popular Fragrances