Costes by Hotel Costes

Filtered by hair type : Other
No Image

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

I LOVE this scent and I am not attracted to woodsy scents at all. I received this in a gift bag from a friend and I have no idea where to purchase it and I don't know how much it costs. At first application it has a heavy cinnamon and spice scent to it. I read a review where someone described it as a chai latte scent. It dries down to what I can only describe as something that reminds me of the woods and ocean. An "aqua woodsy" scent perhaps?I'm not good at describing scents but this is definitely different and definitely unisex--perhaps more on the masculine side and I love that. This is definitely a fall/winter scent and would be overbearing in the summer.

on 4/20/2009 7:24:00 PM

2012 : I love this scent now - I didn't like it in 2009 . Spicey , aromatic yet cleanish and soapy ,ambient and quite soothing. Lasting power is mediocre but the scent is uber chic .

I was surprised at how much I did not care for Costes. I admire and own decants of Diptyque's Tam Dao and 10 Corso Como, the two fragrances with which Costes is most typically compared and thought Costes would be a slam dunk. However, I don't find many similarities. Ts to my nose, Costes smells like a big bundle of cinnamon bark, with a bit of cheapish sandalwood/musk thrown into the middle notes. I had to wash it off before the base notes appeared as I was about to gag. Sorry 'bout that! (bad reviewer, bad reviewer!)

I have heard that Hotel Costes liberally scents their entire hotel with their Costes perfume and if that is the case, I think I'll be staying somewhere else next time my travel plans call for Paris.

Here are the notes, per The Perfumed Court: lavender, bay-tree, coriander, white pepper, rose, incense, woods and light musk.

on 11/7/2007 10:25:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

The spicy/cinnamon-y/clove-y opening is my least favorite part of this scent, and luckily for me it only lasts 15 minutes or so. As the spice fades, I am left with just the perfect combination of incense, sandalwood, and musk. I prefer this to Tam Dao, which is too dry and too straight sandalwood (not to mention how fleeting it is) for me. I get decent skin scent lasting power with Costes. I like both this and 10 Corso Como, which I find similar. Inspired by laphenix's comment, I'd agree Costes is the sister to 10 Corso Como, but I'd describe Costes as friendlier and more approachable rather than quieter. (10 Corso Como's musk is much more aggressive on my skin.) And I don't find this scent too masculine at all, but perfectly unisex. Notes include: laurel, lavender, coriander seeds, white pepper, rose, incense, wood, musk.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

Love Costes! Olivia Giacobetti is a master perfumer! . All of Ms. Giacobetti's fragrances are light, well balanced, almost ethereal; her fragrances can float on gossamer wings or echo subtle nuances of space and time. Costes is no exception. It has everything going for it.. spicey, clean, herbal -- woodsy and just a great unisex fragrance. I can't imagine anyone hating this! It's a cameleon of a scent that could role play any situation albeit.. sexy, clean -- highly chic ... casually elegant. On a man this would be HOT but on the most petite feminine woman a knock out of a fragrance. Basically, as long as it works with your chemistry, Costes can go anywhere you go and be anything you need. It's seasonless- timeless, elegance, sure to become a classic. I would love a full bottle.

on 7/19/2006 12:58:00 PM

Ordered a sample of this from Aedes. Really loved the soapy note, but was unsure if it was FBW. Went to NYC this past week and made a stop at Aedes to sniff some scents. DH loved Costes and wanted a bottle for himself. We ordered the spray for him, but I think I will be sneaking into it also. I just love the soapy note in this. It is such a wonderful scent. Love the red bottle too. Just an all around beautiful scent for a man or a woman.

on 9/23/2005 1:47:00 PM

Got the chance to sample this today; love the scent, hate the lasting-power, thus a *** lippies only. For that reason only, I won't be buying it.

Popular Fragrances